Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Would you wear a mask?

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm

If you had plenty of masks, would you wear one the next time you go shopping?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Personally, no. From what I understand there's only a benefit if you are wearing it and are trying to prevent spreading the disease to other people.

I would if I knew I were sick.

Beyond that, I'd also be very self-conscious about it.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm

What kind of masks?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm
What kind of masks?
Hahahahahahhaa.

Krieg, did you ever play the game Metal Gear Solid?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 pm

We have several dozen of the basic rectangular expanding masks with a moldable wire above the nose, have 4 adults under roof, and none of us wears one to go out. How self-conscious and dumb are we?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
What kind of masks?
Hahahahahahhaa.

Krieg, did you ever play the game Metal Gear Solid?
I have not.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 pm

We started wearing masks when getting supplies about ten days ago. Wife went out this evening to make a grocery run and reported that for the first time nobody looked at her like she was crazy.

Why the hesitation to wear a mask?
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 pm

YES... I do wear a mask.
My lovely Bride has made several, One even matches my shirt. ;D
I will use the mask when I am shopping and take it off when I am in the car.
Most people will not look at you strangely anymore.
I know "some experts" say you do not need it, but should I believe the "experts" with My health?
So I have a mask, what's the Big deal to wear it.

Do people keep 6 feet away from you all the time, every time when shopping?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 pm

I saw a guy driving alone wearing a mask a couple days ago. I thought that was a bit strange.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 pm

One thing to consider.
I was at a bank several weeks ago before this Quarantine started.I went to this branch because the usual Branch was
closed because of Virus cleaning.
I went inside because their Drive thru 's were closed except for 1 lane
As I went inside someone at the ATM was coughing just a few feet from me.

So now I am left with the thought that if he has the virus how many more people may have been exposed to it.
Did i have it, well fortunately not.
So a mask for this person would definitely have helped, also a mask for me might also have helped.
But if someone does cough, do you want to wait 5 days or so to see if you maybe get symptoms?
It may be a small protection factor for me but what do I have to lose.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 pm
Personally, no. From what I understand there's only a benefit if you are wearing it and are trying to prevent spreading the disease to other people.
This is government misinformation. There was/is a shortage of masks in many countries (e.g., USA), so they very quickly came up with the messaging that "only people with COVID-19 trying to prevent spreading it benefit from wearing one." Pay close attention to the messaging and you'll notice that they also say that medical personnel benefit from wearing one, too. The two statements conflict. The truth is that, yes, someone who has COVID-19 should wear one to limit spreading it. But also someone who is healthy will get *some* benefit from wearing a mask, and the smaller the pores (e.g., N95 mask), the better. The public messaging was constructed to guilt people into not purchasing/hoarding these masks, and even to convince people to donate any masks that they may already have.

My wife is a germaphobe, but neither one of us were paying close attention to the news in February and, like so many others, thought of the virus as something just the Chinese were having to worry about. Around 2/26 I told her I was worried about the impact that the virus was having on the stock market, and that I felt certain that the market was going to drop further because of the supply chains. While I was busy selling our stock, she was ordering N95 masks.

All that said, I've gone to the grocery store a few times since and I still haven't bothered wearing one of our masks. I *have* been very conscious about not touching my face, washing my hands when I got back home, and wiping down everything I purchased with Clorox wipes. But I may start wearing a mask, too.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 pm

CT-Scott wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 pm
This is government misinformation. There was/is a shortage of masks in many countries (e.g., USA), so they very quickly came up with the messaging that "only people with COVID-19 trying to prevent spreading it benefit from wearing one." Pay close attention to the messaging and you'll notice that they also say that medical personnel benefit from wearing one, too. The two statements conflict. The truth is that, yes, someone who has COVID-19 should wear one to limit spreading it. But also someone who is healthy will get *some* benefit from wearing a mask, and the smaller the pores (e.g., N95 mask), the better. The public messaging was constructed to guilt people into not purchasing/hoarding these masks, and even to convince people to donate any masks that they may already have.

My wife is a germaphobe, but neither one of us were paying close attention to the news in February and, like so many others, thought of the virus as something just the Chinese were having to worry about. Around 2/26 I told her I was worried about the impact that the virus was having on the stock market, and that I felt certain that the market was going to drop further because of the supply chains. While I was busy selling our stock, she was ordering N95 masks.

All that said, I've gone to the grocery store a few times since and I still haven't bothered wearing one of our masks. I *have* been very conscious about not touching my face, washing my hands when I got back home, and wiping down everything I purchased with Clorox wipes. But I may start wearing a mask, too.
Huh. Interesting. I didn't think of it that way. Duly noted. Thanks.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:20 am

Look at photos from countries like South Korea that quelled their outbreaks early. Notice how everyone in those photos is wearing some kind of mask.

Also, how could anyone believe that a mask wouldn’t help reduce the spread of a virus found in the nose and throat? If you cough or sneeze, the mask may not hold everything back, but it sure as hell helps.

Masks also discourage healthy, uninfected people from touching their faces.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:20 am
Look at photos from countries like South Korea that quelled their outbreaks early. Notice how everyone in those photos is wearing some kind of mask.

Also, how could anyone believe that a mask wouldn’t help reduce the spread of a virus found in the nose and throat? If you cough or sneeze, the mask may not hold everything back, but it sure as hell helps.

Could be all you say is true. Or, correlation does not equate to causation. Or, something in between.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 am

Just watched Dr. Chris Martensen of Peak Prosperity daily virus update. I think It would be great if everyone wore a mask to protect other people from the mist of saliva we expel when we talk. If everyone did that I think it would help tremendously. Basically your spitting on people! Also I saw a great video of making a mask single use with a paper towel and some rubber bands. If the goal is to stop spraying that would definitely help.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 am

Tortoise wrote:

Strongly agree on all of this, Tortoise.

Also, if we are going to crash our economy with strict social distancing, let's only go through one really bad stretch.

Would Americans wear masks if it meant restarting the economy a few months early?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 am

Barrett, that’s a good point/question.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:31 am

My wife says she thinks wearing one would make people think she is sick.
I think we are going to have a change of plans in our household though.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:31 am
My wife says she thinks wearing one would make people think she is sick.
I think we are going to have a change of plans in our household though.
Sure, that is a common reaction so far here in the U.S... but I think it needs to change.

Wearing a face mask when one is sick is just common courtesy in many parts of Asia. Just taking a guess that this is one of those cultural differences that has come about due to people living in closer quarters in places like China, Japan & Korea.

I think it was a J. D. Salinger character who while drowning was overcome with embarrassment, not fear.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am
Tortoise wrote:

I think the early hypothesis was that wearing a mask would encourage people to touch their faces as they would constantly be adjusting the mask.
pug, as a dentist, you surely wear a mask, right?

It definitely takes a while to get used to wearing one. The few times that I have worn on so far I have been tugging at it a lot. Just not used to it yet.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am
I think the early hypothesis was that wearing a mask would encourage people to touch their faces as they would constantly be adjusting the mask.
That’s a good point, but even if that were the case, I’m guessing people wearing (and adjusting) masks tend not to stick their fingers in their nose or mouth nearly as much, right?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am

We just got a few of these letters, with masks, in a box from one of our suppliers. Nice. But they came from China... :o

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 am

While working I wear a full face shield (looks like a clear welder's mask) and a mask.

While grocery shopping, I wear a mask and disposable gloves.
Ah Pug, I was so hoping you would lead the bandana train.
Although I haven't yet tried it out in public. I really hate wearing stuff on my face.

But, I do think it is going to be semi-mandatory before this is over.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 am

Iwoudwearthis.jpg
Iwoudwearthis.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 6071 times