Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:51 am

Xan wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 pm
There are people doing work up on roofs in the middle of the summer wearing masks??
My guess is that he took the mask off while up top. We had our discussion on the ground.
If I were a construction worker, though, or any kind of manual laborer doing heavy work, I'd probably have to take my mask off or I'd pass out.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.13 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:07 pm

Alien facehugger? Brilliant.
RIP Marcello Gandini
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:49 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 pm
Capture.JPG
Nice find vnatale - the thought of a facehugger still scares me
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Facehugger sounds like a Seinfeld term for someone who puts their face right in front of yours and stares directly into your eyes whenever they’re giving you a friendly hug.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Those little loop over the ear, over the face masks:
From day one, I've wondered how grown men can walk around in public while wearing panty liners on their faces.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

When I bought my car from a gal in LA a few months ago, I was arranging to meet up with her and she wanted to know if I had a mask and gloves. I responded that I had a wool neck gaiter and a pair of leather driving gloves I could wear.

She said she would bring me a medical mask and nitrile gloves for our meeting.

"Okay".

When we met up, she had me stand back while she left a plastic bag on the hood of the car with the gear she wanted me to put on.
[Okay, Mark, the goal is to get the car. The goal is to get the car. The goal is to get the car...]

I put on the panty shield and the gloves (which, of course) were woman sized. So the gloves split right open and dangled in weird bits from my hands. The panty shield was darling.

Evidently, that was enough for me to get the car.
Thank god.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Face masks are a 'ticking plastic bomb': Three MILLION coverings are thrown out every minute and serve as carriers for other toxicants in the environment, experts warn
link

Who could have predicted this? ::)
As if we needed another reason to abandon masks at this point.
Awful. I wear cotton and wash but I can’t get the wife to stop wearing plastic disposable ones.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 pm

MangoMan wrote:

Face masks are a 'ticking plastic bomb': Three MILLION coverings are thrown out every minute and serve as carriers for other toxicants in the environment, experts warn

link

Awful. I wear cotton and wash but I can’t get the wife to stop wearing plastic disposable ones.

Until now I had no idea plastic ones existed!

On Tuesday I did my annual pick up stray things on my property. I found about five or so paper masks. Have no idea from where they originated.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm

I only ever wore them if they gave me one at the door.

I just only breath through my nose so I don't spew out droplets.

I always wanted to use this as my mask but haven't yet.

https://frugalfun4boys.com/how-to-turn- ... or-sewing/
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 pm
MangoMan wrote:
link

On Tuesday I did my annual pick up stray things on my property. I found about five or so paper masks. Have no idea from where they originated.
I see them on the ground all the time when I'm riding my bike through the neighborhood and surrounding parks. I have no idea where they originated either but I suspect it's mostly kids discarding or losing them on the way home from school.

I can predict where they will end up eventually - floating in Tampa Bay (I'm assuming they float, at least for a while. If not, then they will be on the bottom of Tampa Bay).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:35 pm

vnatale wrote:

My mistake. Wife wears paper masks and they come wrapped in plastic. I suppose that’s a little better, but not great. My dental hygenist was wearing a plastic one the other day.
I love reusable cotton ones. It may just be theater, still i’m used to them.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:01 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:35 pm

vnatale wrote:

My mistake. Wife wears paper masks and they come wrapped in plastic. I suppose that’s a little better, but not great. My dental hygenist was wearing a plastic one the other day.
I love reusable cotton ones. It may just be theater, still i’m used to them.

There are no all plastic masks (you would suffocate). The article is referring to those blue masks that look medical but aren't.

Which was why I was so surprised to find out about them here. I was wondering how plastic masks had been invented to both do the job and allow breathing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Right, no all-plastic, but some incorporate plastic.
https://www.amazon.com/Covering-Anti-Du ... 27&sr=8-58
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 am

There should be an official name for those who want to live normal lives again but want everyone else to take the vaccination risks and wear masks so they can just ride their coattails like a draft dodger to a vet.

They let everyone get us to herd immunity so they don’t have to do anything themselves.

Perhaps because I felt the devastation and effects of covid first hand I have a strong opinion about those who are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

I don’t give a rats ass about what one thinks about the effectiveness of either as data is always changing but in the fight against the rona you are either part of the solution trying to get us back to normal lives in the hard hit areas or you are part of the problem as no matter where you are people from your area are bringing it back to our area when they come here
Last edited by mathjak107 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:30 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 am
There should be an official name for those who want to live normal lives again but want everyone else to take the vaccination risks and wear masks so they can just ride their coattails like a draft dodger to a vet.
I'm sure you're trolling MJ but I will feed you.

The name of the first group is rugged Americans. The name of the second is foolish cowards sprinkled with the evil.

There are exceptions in both groups as many are required to take the injection for their livelihood.
Last edited by SomeDude on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:32 am

Nope not trolling , I call it as I see it ..just sayin...

Anyone is free to do as they please just as I have a right to think of them any way I want..

They are either helping herd immunity happening or part of the problem ...

I want to hug my kids , I want to hug our grand kids who we have not seen in a year .

For those of you who live in areas un effected much , then me telling you this is like describing the color orange to a blind person ..,you will never understand
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:22 am

I'm not so much worried about herd immunity. I'm more in favor of culling the herd.
"How bad do you think it's gonna be?"
"Pretty goddamn bad. Probably all the other Families will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Rode Amtrak Northeast Corridor the other day.
Noted without comment: the announcement included, “If we see you’re not wearing a mask, the first time we’ll ask you to put it on. The second time, we’ll ask you to get off the train. That’s only happened once in 10,000 trips…”
On the outbound trip, I noticed a bunch of younger girls got on without them. Might have interfered with their makeup.

On the return trip, there was one dude who decided to take his mask off for a phone call. He then proceeded to blast a game through his tablet’s speakers. In the quiet car. I did not confront. I used to, about the quiet car, but even if I decided to start doing it again, it wouldn’t be about masks. Only about noise.

Meanwhile, the conductor- not the one who made the announcement as there was a full crew change — passed him several times and failed to notice.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm
Rode Amtrak Northeast Corridor the other day.
Noted without comment: the announcement included, “If we see you’re not wearing a mask, the first time we’ll ask you to put it on. The second time, we’ll ask you to get off the train. That’s only happened once in 10,000 trips…”
On the outbound trip, I noticed a bunch of younger girls got on without them. Might have interfered with their makeup.

On the return trip, there was one dude who decided to take his mask off for a phone call. He then proceeded to blast a game through his tablet’s speakers. In the quiet car. I did not confront. I used to, about the quiet car, but even if I decided to start doing it again, it wouldn’t be about masks. Only about noise.

Meanwhile, the conductor- not the one who made the announcement as there was a full crew change — passed him several times and failed to notice.
More evidence that many only care about themselves. Whatever happened to people who care about others?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

More evidence that many only care about themselves. Whatever happened to people who care about others?
Fucking vaccine denier.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Fucking vaccine denier.
Why do you say that?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Why do you say that?
Well, you’re a smart man. And a chemist. And a hard scientist. So I suspect that you know it was a bit in jest. But only semi-jest.

In very crude terms you shouldn’t give a damn what the unvaccinated do if you are vaccinated. But you do. Thus…. the vaccine isn’t all that and a bag of crisps.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:05 pm

And those who would have the world revolve around their concept of social responsibility? IMHO, that's the height of selfishness.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 am

I feel somewhat differently about masks than I did before the vax came along. It was all we had. I don’t really believe that my non-N95 cloth mask is doing that much to protect me, but if i saw a maskless person on the train coughing, I’d think that was selfish. In the main, it’s a formality, something like checking out at a hotel instead of just leaving.

Now i’m double vaxxed. Either it’s protecting me, minimizing the risk of death, or it’s not. If I don’t think it’s protecting me, I probably shouldn’t be on a train no matter what my fellow passengers are up to. (And yet, I flew in 2020, pre-vax), to help my parents.
RIP Marcello Gandini