Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

I shared fake news and feel like an idiot

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 pm

I shared fake news.

Yup. This supposedly tech savvy millennial, who studies computer science of all things, shared fake news on social media. It was coronavirus related fake news, and I feel like the world's biggest idiot.

I've been having a constant string of so-called cringe attacks today. (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... nge+attack)

I'm actually starting to hope I get laid off so that I don't have to face my coworkers again.

AUADAFSGASGDFSGHDFHDFGSDFHDSFGDFS.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I shared fake news and feel like an idiot

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 pm
I shared fake news.

Yup. This supposedly tech savvy millennial, who studies computer science of all things, shared fake news on social media. It was coronavirus related fake news, and I feel like the world's biggest idiot.

I've been having a constant string of so-called cringe attacks today. (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... nge+attack)

I'm actually starting to hope I get laid off so that I don't have to face my coworkers again.

It’s all good. You are forgiven. Just ask those who are giving you grief, how many of them are 100% perfect. 😇
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:19 pm

It’s all good. You are forgiven. Just ask those who are giving you grief, how many of them are 100% perfect. 😇
Thank you. I just want to feel better about it. I just feel like a total dunce.

You know that thing that people do where they pace around the house after something embarrassing happens? Me all day.

Kind of like that Pascal quote how “All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Share what you shared? I'm afraid I've also shared fake news.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Thank you. I just want to feel better about it. I just feel like a total dunce.

You know that thing that people do where they pace around the house after something embarrassing happens? Me all day.

Kind of like that Pascal quote how “All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
Don’t let others control your mind or emotions. My two cents. You are good to go. 👍🏼
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Dieter wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm
Share what you shared? I'm afraid I've also shared fake news.
That whole thing about being fined $1,000 for breaking social distancing mandate?

Not true. The person who told me failed to make the nuance that they just HEARD it happen. They implied it happened to THEM.

I shared it on social media. I told coworkers about it. I even posted it here in the Coronavirus general thread.

I feel like the world's biggest dumbass.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:34 pm

After you posted that, Smith, I told maybe a dozen people. But only after finding similar news from CBC, which I believe I posted in the same thread after your post.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5508543
No roadblock, no carpool check, but the $1,000 CAD fine does exist. I guess it’s partly at the discretion of the police.
So far, there is just one such order: the ban on restaurants and bars offering dine-in service. That order said the businesses must move to a take-out model only, to avoid crowds of customers sitting down in the same enclosed space for a meal or a drink.

Businesses, like the restaurant or bar, can be hit with the $50,000 fine for breaking that order. People ignoring the order, like two friends sitting down for dinner, could each be handed the $1,000 fine.
ADDED: granted, it’s in the future tense and hasn’t happened yet.
https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/27 ... ncing-yet/
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Bastard (j.k) --- I shared the general concept with a good friend of mine who lives in Vancouver, BC.

(Not my friend who lives in Vancouver, WA, USA, which sometimes confused me to no end).

But it is true that it could happen in general.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... cqA-9zDmgU
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:38 pm

Yeah, I saw the same CBC news article. So to me that was corroboration. I mean, to be fair, there is a $1,000 fine that exists for people just sitting down for dinner together as per that article.

I guess I don't feel that dumb.

Still, I feel like an idiot wrapped in a moron.

Here comes another cringe-attack. Be right back, gonna go scream into a pillow.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:47 pm

https://youtu.be/Vn3IRHhPXMo?t=146

Please go ahead and watch 20 seconds of the above starting at that time.

That's me right now. Just imagine an asian guy instead of Steve Carell.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
I shared fake news.

I've done it before and, most likely, will do it again. Not the end of the world.

And, for the record, I shared your particular information to others!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Is sharing fake news really that big of a sin in the modern world?

We’re practically drowning in fake news. So we’re bound to swallow a few mouthfuls of it as we flail around to stay afloat.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

We’re practically drowning in fake news. So we’re bound to swallow a few mouthfuls of it as we flail around to stay afloat.
I look at it as similar to a strikeout ratio (from the old, old baseball days).

What is your ratio of:

[Fake news shared / Total news shared]

If it's a tiny ratio then you are a Joe DiMaggio or Yogi Berra of sharing news.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm
True. I think the best we can do is try to corroborate — which Smith clearly did — when something seems fishy.

I saw something the other week about Bill Gates having a plan to chip human beings and certify who has been tested and who hasn’t. I thought that was a pretty funny piece of satire as it sounded like Windows certificates. Apparently, other people swallowed it hook, line and sinker. “Bill Gates is a monster!” “Mark of the beast!” And I’m sure they’re sharing it with all their like-minded friends. They’re the ones who should be cringing.

Earlier today, I shared the apparently fake news that the Rammstein singer had the virus, which is about the least farfetched news I’ve heard all day. (George Carlin would say near-fetched). I found another source anyway, but failed to notice the voices saying it was false until your post, Tortoise.
And since then, still other sources are saying it was true all along. I think it’s false, but I guess it’s time to hang back and see. Not exactly actionable news anyway.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a meeting with some other Jews in the torch of the Statue of Liberty. We’re going to switch to Parseltongue and discuss world domination. You heard it here first.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
I shared fake news.

It"s ALL fake news. here in the Matrix.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:25 pm

shekels wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
I shared fake news.

It"s ALL fake news. here in the Matrix.
In this Bailout
Has the Fed been taken over by the Treasury?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-cur ... 52807.html

Lets get currency straightened out next.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 pm

My dad shared fake news all the time. I joked about it at his funeral. :)
StJohnVianney

Post by StJohnVianney » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:00 am

Don't let pride stand in the way of the profit of humbleness.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:22 am

Smith1776, there's a difference between "fake news" and news that is overall correct but got a detail wrong. NYC has already announced $500 fines for violating social distancing rules, so the concept is definitely on target.

"Fake news", to me, means fashioning a news article out of whole cloth purely in order to manipulate public opinion, usually with a specific goal in mind. To me, that article about the $1K fine does not qualify. It was quite innocent compared to the massive political spin we get served up as "news" every day.