What does it mean to vote for someone?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Does voting for someone mean that you must uncritically support everything he does?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 13
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

What does it mean to vote for someone?

Post by Libertarian666 »

If you vote (or would vote) for someone, does that mean that you must uncritically support everything he does?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What does it mean to vote for someone?

Post by stuper1 »

Exactly. I get mocked by my liberal family as a Trump supporter, just because I tell people that he could be a lot worse than he is. What that means to me is that he could support even bigger government than what he does support, which is quite a bit. But if Biden, Sanders, or Hillary were president, it would be even worse.

For the record, I haven't voted in 36 years, so if I'm a Trump supporter, then I'm an awfully ineffective one.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I thought you were joking when you mentioned the second poll. ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm If you vote (or would vote) for someone, does that mean that you must uncritically support everything he does?
I cannot answer the question as phrased.

I have no problems criticizing those above me in workplaces because I actually do possess more information and knowledge than they do when it comes to the organization's finances. Sometimes I won't be shy about letting them know that.

But I NEVER criticize coaches, managers, general managers of my sports teams. I also laugh at fans who think that they possess anywhere near the information that any of those in sports management do. And, the same fans will advocate the most stupid actions. Say one thing one day and then the opposite the next. No consistency.

But back to politics.

When Obama was elected president, here was my reaction.

I'm going to look at it as hiring someone to do a job. We as a country "hired" Obama to do a job. Just as I'm not going to agree with everything a person I hired does for the best long-term outcome I have to allow that person to do the job the way they think it needs to be done so as to fully embrace the job without me micro-managing and doing the person's job.

Therefore, I said, I'm certainly not going to agree with everything Obama does (in the future) and I'm sure I will say I would have done or chosen some things differently. But it's his job, not mine. And, he's doing those things differently because it fits into his overall plan of doing things.

Getting back to baseball. Every year there are two All Star teams picked. And, there are always deserving players left off. And, every year I read the same tired stories criticizing "how could leave this player off and leave off that player".

As a young teenager reading these stories I quickly noticed these newspaper articles not once would ever tell us who they would take OFF the teams to make room for their deserving players. 55+ years later I may still be waiting to read my first article that does so.

My overall point is that it's easy to criticize an action. But you need to convince me what the rest of your plan is. How your advocated different action fits into an overall.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm If you vote (or would vote) for someone, does that mean that you must uncritically support everything he does?

I have no problems criticizing those above me in workplaces because I actually do possess more information and knowledge than they do when it comes to the organization's finances. Sometimes I won't be shy about letting them know that.

But I NEVER criticize coaches, managers, general managers of my sports teams. I also laugh at fans who think that they possess anywhere near the information that any of those in sports management do. And, the same fans will advocate the most stupid actions. Say one thing one day and then the opposite the next. No consistency.

But back to politics.

I'm going to look at it as hiring someone to do a job. We as a country "hired" Obama to do a job. Just as I'm not going to agree with everything a person I hired does for the best long-term outcome I have to allow that person to do the job the way they think it needs to be done so as to fully embrace the job without me micro-managing and doing the person's job.

Therefore, I said, I'm certainly not going to agree with everything Obama does (in the future) and I'm sure I will say I would have done or chosen some things differently. But it's his job, not mine. And, he's doing those things differently because it fits into his overall plan of doing things.

Getting back to baseball. Every year there are two All Star teams picked. And, there are always deserving players left off. And, every year I read the same tired stories criticizing "how could leave this player off and leave off that player".

As a young teenager reading these stories I quickly noticed these newspaper articles not once would ever tell us who they would take OFF the teams to make room for their deserving players. 55+ years later I may still be waiting to read my first article that does so.

My overall point is that it's easy to criticize an action. But you need to convince me what the rest of your plan is. How your advocated different action fits into an overall.

Vinny
You have answered it: no.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 pm

But back to politics.

Vinny
I am saying that while I may disagree with what a president does for whom I voted for I will not publicly be critical of that person's actions. Nor would I even think it. I'd just say that president has a different overall plan than mine and this action fits into that person's plan. Therefore if I overall support that president then I need to support all his / her actions in carrying out his / her overall plan.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:41 am

But back to politics.

Vinny
I am saying that while I may disagree with what a president does for whom I voted for I will not publicly be critical of that person's actions. Nor would I even think it. I'd just say that president has a different overall plan than mine and this action fits into that person's plan. Therefore if I overall support that president then I need to support all his / her actions in carrying out his / her overall plan.

Vinny
So even if the President you voted for does something diametrically opposed to what he campaigned on and which you relied on in your support for him, you still wouldn't criticize him? (substitute "her" if appropriate)

That seems very odd to me, but okay.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:52 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:41 am

But back to politics.

Vinny

Vinny
So even if the President you voted for does something diametrically opposed to what he campaigned on and which you relied on in your support for him, you still wouldn't criticize him? (substitute "her" if appropriate)

That seems very odd to me, but okay.
Again, I'm voting for a person because I think that they are the best person to do an overall job, not for a particular position. I'm voting for the whole person with the belief as just about any other intelligent person would do in any job they'd change their positions under changing circumstances. It's part of what I believe constitutes being a loyal supporter. Not sniping and criticizing at every turn.

I'm always getting accused by even other Yankees fans of having on my blue eyed glasses because I absolutely refuse to join them in their never ending criticizing team managers and general managers and owners.

Vinny

Vinny