Administrator
Administrator

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Xan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 am
Xan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 pm
I have gigabit fiber coming into the house. It's pretty awesome. Unfortunately it requires a deal with the devil: it's Google Fiber. I've consider routing everything through a VPN of some shape or form, but haven't gotten around to it.
Won't that defeat the purpose? Every time I use a VPN, the speed is limited by the VPN connection to around 15Mb/s
That's a major concern. My tentative plan was to rent a virtual server with a ton of bandwidth and route everything through that. It wouldn't be anonymized in the way that (most?) VPNs theoretically are, because I'd still have IP addresses that pointed only to me, but nothing would be visible to Google.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 am
pugchief wrote:
Xan wrote:
I have gigabit fiber coming into the house. It's pretty awesome. Unfortunately it requires a deal with the devil: it's Google Fiber. I've consider routing everything through a VPN of some shape or form, but haven't gotten around to it.
Won't that defeat the purpose? Every time I use a VPN, the speed is limited by the VPN connection to around 15Mb/s
That's a major concern. My tentative plan was to rent a virtual server with a ton of bandwidth and route everything through that. It wouldn't be anonymized in the way that (most?) VPNs theoretically are, because I'd still have IP addresses that pointed only to me, but nothing would be visible to Google.
With the Google fiber, is you DNS also setup to them?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:07 am

shekels wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am
Xan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 am
pugchief wrote:
Xan wrote:
With the Google fiber, is you DNS also setup to them?
I have my router set up to be its own DNS server, so it contacts the root directly and then maintains its own cache. It also routes a bunch of advertising/spam/etc domain names to 0.0.0.0.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sister Sally Sitting by the Seashore

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm
Getting a bit blustery here tonight.

We'll see how it goes. I do so love raw power.
Mark

Sally.png
Say what? We were sitting on the back porch watching 90 day fiance right in the middle of this last night. All I remember is it was raining.

Things are really heating up in the Caribbean though - 5 named storms at once and they are about to run out of names. None of them are tracking this way however.

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 am
Xan wrote:
Woah, man. That's crazy speed. Also perhaps consider using TOR when applicable?
Tor would certainly slow things down to a trickle. Just hiding everything from the ISP in some way shape or form would probably be sufficient for me.

I've also considered running a Tor exit node. It's the liability concerns which prevent me from doing so. Anybody have any insights into that?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:49 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm
Getting a bit blustery here tonight.

We'll see how it goes. I do so love raw power.
Mark

Sally.png
Say what? We were sitting on the back porch watching 90 day fiance right in the middle of this last night. All I remember is it was raining.

Things are really heating up in the Caribbean though - 5 named storms at once and they are about to run out of names. None of them are tracking this way however.

What's a 90-day fiancé? Green card marriage? O0
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:49 pm
What's a 90-day fiancé? Green card marriage? O0
Yes. My wife was a 90-day fiance so we've been hooked on that show since it first came out. With all the spinoffs they've had they should probably change the name of TLC to the 90 day fiance channel.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Oh, man, I thought it was a typo!

Internet test for desktop with ethernet cable:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.01.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.01.40 PM.png (44.74 KiB) Viewed 63 times
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Here's Mine.

When I switched internet providers back in January the salesman talked me into paying the extra $10/month for 1 gig speed vs the 50 Mbps I had before. He said I would be really impressed. I was skeptical and I was right. The only time you can tell any difference is when you run this speed test.

At this point in time I think internet speeds are so far beyond the speed at which client and server computers can exchange data that it makes no difference to the naked eye. Maybe if I was a gamer I would notice it.

Imagenearest petrol station to my location now
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Here's Mine.

When I switched internet providers back in January the salesman talked me into paying the extra $10/month for 1 gig speed vs the 50 Mbps I had before. He said I would be really impressed. I was skeptical and I was right. The only time you can tell any difference is when you run this speed test.

At this point in time I think internet speeds are so far beyond the speed at which client and server computers can exchange data that it makes no difference to the naked eye. Maybe if I was a gamer I would notice it.

Imagenearest petrol station to my location now
I think you're largely right, but with some caveats. ISPs typically sell only one number: the downstream data rate. And note that that's all this test is about, too!

Most of the time (after the data rate is "high enough"), latency is what's really most important. Especially for something like gaming. If you have a 10mbps connection with a 30ms ping to your gaming server, you're much better off than with 1000mbps connection with a 100ms ping.

Having a low latency requires an ISP to have lines that aren't saturated, to have good peering arrangements with many peers, and to be very good at what they do. It's hard to advertise for this because it's multi-dimensional: it isn't just a single number like the data rate.

The other issue is that they only sell the downstream data rate, which is a shame. The promise of the Internet is that everybody can be both producer and consumer. Everybody can host a server. Instead the ISPs sell downstream and give everybody a pittance of upstream data. This isn't just a theoretical problem: the quickest way to absolutely kill your downstream performance is to have your teeny upstream be saturated. In this new world of Zoom calls, upstream is really important, not only because you're sending video as well as receiving it, but because your insufficient upstream can easily be saturated and then you've got nothing.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:27 pm
pp4me wrote:
Here's Mine.

image deleted to save space
I think you're largely right, but with some caveats. ISPs typically sell only one number: the downstream data rate. And note that that's all this test is about, too!

Most of the time (after the data rate is "high enough"), latency is what's really most important. Especially for something like gaming. If you have a 10mbps connection with a 30ms ping to your gaming server, you're much better off than with 1000mbps connection with a 100ms ping.

Having a low latency requires an ISP to have lines that aren't saturated, to have good peering arrangements with many peers, and to be very good at what they do. It's hard to advertise for this because it's multi-dimensional: it isn't just a single number like the data rate.

The other issue is that they only sell the downstream data rate, which is a shame. The promise of the Internet is that everybody can be both producer and consumer. Everybody can host a server. Instead the ISPs sell downstream and give everybody a pittance of upstream data. This isn't just a theoretical problem: the quickest way to absolutely kill your downstream performance is to have your teeny upstream be saturated. In this new world of Zoom calls, upstream is really important, not only because you're sending video as well as receiving it, but because your insufficient upstream can easily be saturated and then you've got nothing.
The one thing this test does seem to tell me is that my inside wiring is able to handle the greater speed. I've read that for a lot of people, upgrading to higher speeds has no effect because it stops at the box outside your house. If you have older cabling this might be a problem.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 pm

pp4me wrote:
Here's Mine.

That's easy for you to say. Try living out here where satellite is the only option. :P
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0