Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm

50 Mbps here, but we’re paying for 100/100.
The reason I stay is that we never have to call customer service like we did with Comcast.
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 pm

88/68 here.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:26 pm

When you guys say 100/100 and 88/68 are you talking about upstream/downstream speeds?
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 pm

If so, how are your guys' upload speeds so fast? :o

upload.png
upload.png (76.46 KiB) Viewed 280 times
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Yea, that's download/upload. I think that's pretty standard, right? I'm on fiber. If I was wired in it would be 150mb/s, but I'm using a wifi router so I can be upstairs, in the bathroom, out on the deck, upside down, whatever.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 pm
Yea, that's download/upload. I think that's pretty standard, right? I'm on fiber. If I was wired in it would be 150mb/s, but I'm using a wifi router so I can be upstairs, in the bathroom, out on the deck, upside down, whatever.
Every provider I've ever had has always delivered just a fraction of the upload speed relative to download speed.

Maybe that's more of a Canadian thing? Either way, it makes uploading YouTube videos an all-day affair. That time I uploaded that recording of my stand up set to share on the forum took forever lol.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Do you plug the ethernet cord right into your computer, or are you on a wifi router?
- Ecclesiastes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Do you plug the ethernet cord right into your computer, or are you on a wifi router?
All the computers are on wifi. All the set-top boxes are cabled.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Well, that would explain the computers, since wifi speeds can vary, but wired speeds should be as advertised. What do you mean by set-top boxes? TV?
- Ecclesiastes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 pm
Well, that would explain the computers, since wifi speeds can vary, but wired speeds should be as advertised. What do you mean by set-top boxes? TV?
Yeah. It could very well be attenuated wifi connectivity causing slow upload speeds, but I personally doubt it. Every connection I've ever had since as long as I can remember has always had a large upload to download disparity. Either way, I'm a bit too lazy to go and check with a cable lol.

Can a weak wifi signal actually cause upload speeds to be compromised while download speeds don't get affected at all?

Set-top boxes are all TV yeah. They're all wired so as to ensure my folks get maximum bandwidth possible for watching... whatever old people TV they watch hehe.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:25 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:20 pm
I'm clocking in at just over 80 Mbps with my new connection. This compares to the 3 Mbps or so I think I was getting over 3G. Total cost of the internet with TV package is like $55 CAD. Not bad as far as Canada goes.

internet.png
What did you use for your speed test? I'll do the same on mine and report the results.

Vinny
I used to use a dedicated website but it looks like Google now has it as a feature!

Just google "internet speed test" or something along those lines and it should show up.
Looked like I used the same one as you. Do not know if I trust the results.

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 254 times
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:00 pm

I bought a George Foreman grill to throw in the back of the car a few weeks ago.

It has greatly improved my dinnertime time when I don't want to put up with any of the local dining restrictions.

Walmart pre-seasoned fajita meat tonight. Nom nom.

Mark

george.jpeg
george.jpeg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 248 times