Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:34 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 pm

When I asked my doctor about Rogaine sometime in the mid-80s, he told me I'd be better off taking the money I'd be using to buy and, instead, investing it!

Vinny
Do you remember how much Rogaine cost back then compared to today? I believe back in the 80s it still would have been on patent? Perhaps lower prices changes the calculus.
Have no idea. He knew but I did not. Just took his advice and never thought about it again.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm sure it was hugely expensive then. I looked into it once: you can get a whole pile of Costco-branded (Kirkland) Rogaine-equivalent for hardly anything.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 pm
I'm sure it was hugely expensive then. I looked into it once: you can get a whole pile of Costco-branded (Kirkland) Rogaine-equivalent for hardly anything.
Would $35 a month back then sound expensive? That is the only number that comes to mind.

If so, $35 then is like $82 a year now. So, it'd have been about $1,000 a year in today's $$$$.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm

No idea what it was back then.

Here it is for $39 for a six-month supply:
https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Minoxid ... B00DTPYGHQ
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm

New York Times used to have this excellent web site ConsumerSearch that one could use to investigate potential products.

But now it seems to have been taken over by something else as this seems quite different from what it used to be:

https://www.consumersearch.com/

However the New York Times now has this.

I was just going through it to see if had any other hair restoration products (did not) but, of course, I then headed to the cat section and just briefly looking at two articles caused me to buy three new cat litter boxes and buy a different cat litter than the one I'm currently using and which costs almost twice as much as what I am now paying.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm
My father has been back from China for a couple weeks now and all is well. I don't know how to explain it, but the man always seems to look younger upon coming from a recent vacation. Fountain of youth.

Maybe it’s the food 😋

Speaking of staying young, do any of you guys have experience with minoxidil (Rogaine)?
I took it for a little while, but I’m too lazy and it was too inconvenient. I’m definitely thinning out, and yet it’s happening so slowly that I have relaxed about it. Besides, bald is in.
Can I steam my face mask occasionally instead of washing it?
Ans.: Not really. Only steam things for which washing is not an option.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am

Ha, not having a Y chromosome has its advantages....

My brother tried all those things but gave up. He went with the buzz cut option. And then there's the "conservation of hair" method, where a balding guy makes up for it by growing a beard - a couple of friends have gone that route.

I suspect all those products are a waste of money, either the original or the cheap knockoffs. Sorry, but nature will have its way whatever your opinion about it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Minoxidil/Rogaine is significantly more expensive in Canada it seems, even after accounting for exchange rates. I wonder why that is exactly.

rogaine.png
rogaine.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 75 times

My experience and research seem to suggest that stopping the progression of male pattern baldness is fairly easy. A simple daily pill of either finasteride/dutasteride works to stop DHT from killing hair follicles, at least for the vast majority of men. Getting back hair you have already lost is the more troublesome challenge. It seems that I am fortunate in that I started dutasteride while still being a Norwood 1.

I am still nonetheless curious about minoxidil for the recovery of the modicum I have lost before I took action.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am

I took it for a little while, but I’m too lazy and it was too inconvenient. I’m definitely thinning out, and yet it’s happening so slowly that I have relaxed about it. Besides, bald is in.
I wish I had your confidence. In my defence, I have an unusual situation on my hands. I have some scarring on my head from an old childhood injury, so rocking the bald look would be more detrimental cosmetically for me than most men.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Ah, I understand.
Can I steam my face mask occasionally instead of washing it?
Ans.: Not really. Only steam things for which washing is not an option.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm
Minoxidil/Rogaine is significantly more expensive in Canada it seems, even after accounting for exchange rates. I wonder why that is exactly.

rogaine.png

My experience and research seem to suggest that stopping the progression of male pattern baldness is fairly easy. A simple daily pill of either finasteride/dutasteride works to stop DHT from killing hair follicles, at least for the vast majority of men. Getting back hair you have already lost is the more troublesome challenge. It seems that I am fortunate in that I started dutasteride while still being a Norwood 1.

I am still nonetheless curious about minoxidil for the recovery of the modicum I have lost before I took action.
You are fortunate not to have been harmed by finasteride. In a small proportion of men it has permanent side effects: https://www.the-dermatologist.com/conte ... de-effects.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:50 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

You are fortunate not to have been harmed by finasteride. In a small proportion of men it has permanent side effects: https://www.the-dermatologist.com/conte ... de-effects.
I would have started taking the medication about 6 months earlier than I did were it not for reports like these. In the end I decided to bite the bullet. So far so good.

I originally found out about the medication via Ashton Kutcher of all places.

https://youtu.be/cmUFgTCDTWs