Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 pm
One reason I'm considering buying/renting an apartment-style living situation is to take advantage of 1-3 month AirBNBs without having to worry about mowing the lawn or anything like that.
Yes, that's aggravating us now. It's surmountable but it's extra hassle, for sure.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm

I am going to Starbucks today and spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte.

Try and stop me.
Combining factors in a portfolio: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/03/26/the-best-way-to-combine-value-and-momentum-investing-strategies/
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Tortoise » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm
I am going to Starbucks today and spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte.

Try and stop me.
I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
Nice numerical rule. I'll be making a note of that one!
Combining factors in a portfolio: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/03/26/the-best-way-to-combine-value-and-momentum-investing-strategies/
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
Nice numerical rule. I'll be making a note of that one!
Pareto Principle. Not to be confused with the Peter Principle. Vinny, if you have questions, ask dualstow.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Pareto Principle. Not to be confused with the Peter Principle. Vinny, if you have questions, ask dualstow.
lmao
Combining factors in a portfolio: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/03/26/the-best-way-to-combine-value-and-momentum-investing-strategies/
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
Nice numerical rule. I'll be making a note of that one!
Pareto Principle. Not to be confused with the Peter Principle. Vinny, if you have questions, ask dualstow.
I've always known of it as Pareto's Law and been aware of it since 1979. First time I've seen it referred to as Pareto's Principle, though, with some research I see now that Pareto Principle is seemingly now the more accepted term.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm
I am going to Starbucks today and spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte.

Try and stop me.
Don't know what it is like in Canada but Americans seem to spend tons of money on both their houses and their vehicles, which, of course consumes a lot of resources. I've never done either which then allows plenty left over for investing and for anything else I want to buy.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

There's a new coffee shop that opened up in my town that I'm going to go test out. They did a good job fixing up an abandonded building, set up nice sidewalk tables, etc. I've noticed a lot more young adults around in the past few months. I wondered if they were boomeranging back home when they lost their jobs and couldn't pay rent because of the lockdowns, but maybe they'll stick around.

It's easy to afford coffee here since housing is so cheap and nobody forces you to buy expensive cars.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm currently googling how one might make pumpkin spice lattes at home.
Combining factors in a portfolio: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/03/26/the-best-way-to-combine-value-and-momentum-investing-strategies/
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 pm
I'm currently googling how one might make pumpkin spice lattes at home.
I'm currently googling "How to stage an intervention".
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am

Phew, no follow up post from Smithers about how he's looking for a vein for his concoction.

The intervention seems to have worked, and this crisis has bean squashed.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Post Reply