Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Xan »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 pmFunny enough, my experience seems to have reset my brain. My lingering feelings for the Alberta girl? Totally gone after my trip. Instead it seems those feelings switched targets towards my sitter for the day. They have largely subsided in the ensuing couple of days.

The spiritual journey was crazy. I saw my sitter as God and wanted to worship her as such.
To show you how uncool I am, I thought you were talking about a babysitter.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Xan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 am
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 pmFunny enough, my experience seems to have reset my brain. My lingering feelings for the Alberta girl? Totally gone after my trip. Instead it seems those feelings switched targets towards my sitter for the day. They have largely subsided in the ensuing couple of days.

The spiritual journey was crazy. I saw my sitter as God and wanted to worship her as such.
I'm even uncooler than you Xan. I still have no idea what a sitter is in the context Smith1776 used. ??? ????
interactive processing wrote: i am going to guess that a sitter is a off shoot of the 1960 "set and setting" guidelines for safe tripping. and would be a sober person that keeps an eye on travelers during there journey...
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:09 am
Xan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 am

I'm even uncooler than you Xan. I still have no idea what a sitter is in the context Smith1776 used. ??? ????
I looked it up on Wikipedia. The first entry is "babysitter", and the one after that is "trip sitter", which seems to be what applies here.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Smith, not trying to be judgmental but when I hear a long list of "spiritual journey" activities, it makes me translate this as "not gainfully employed or otherwise engaged in an occupation." Is that the case?

If my guess is right, I suspect you will need to add these things to your todo list. Employment gaps are serious issues for a CV and will follow you for your entire working life. If you can't find employment at least document that you're job searching or taking classes or whatever. Or maybe a volunteer gig will help.

If all this is happening in your spare time, my apologies.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Xan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 am I looked it up on Wikipedia. The first entry is "babysitter", and the one after that is "trip sitter", which seems to be what applies here.
Correct! O0
WiseOne wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:30 am Smith, not trying to be judgmental but when I hear a long list of "spiritual journey" activities, it makes me translate this as "not gainfully employed or otherwise engaged in an occupation." Is that the case?

If my guess is right, I suspect you will need to add these things to your todo list. Employment gaps are serious issues for a CV and will follow you for your entire working life. If you can't find employment at least document that you're job searching or taking classes or whatever. Or maybe a volunteer gig will help.

If all this is happening in your spare time, my apologies.
Hehe. No worries and no offence taken. I am employed by a Canadian founded Megacorp. and also in school. Your concern is more taken as good faith and caring than anything else.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Hal wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:20 am To add to that, Prescription Cannabis is legal in some states here as an alternative to opioids. The fellow I know who is on it, reported much better eyesight and the GP confirmed that is a side-effect. Also made his mind much calmer and sharper, but not sure if I would want to get a crushed spine just to be able to use it legally :o

Happy everything is working out for you now Smithy.
Yes! That happened to a friend of mine in college. He went to his ophthalmologist and noted that his eyesight seemed to improve and that his total number of floaters decreased.

This new thing I'm doing where I'm going out and trying new experiences has definitely added new texture and depth to life. Thank you for getting me into wine!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:09 am
Hal wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:20 am To add to that, Prescription Cannabis is legal in some states here as an alternative to opioids. The fellow I know who is on it, reported much better eyesight and the GP confirmed that is a side-effect. Also made his mind much calmer and sharper, but not sure if I would want to get a crushed spine just to be able to use it legally :o

Happy everything is working out for you now Smithy.
Yes! That happened to a friend of mine in college. He went to his ophthalmologist and noted that his eyesight seemed to improve and that his total number of floaters decreased.

This new thing I'm doing where I'm going out and trying new experiences has definitely added new texture and depth to life. Thank you for getting me into wine!
Smith, you said no drugs involved with your trip, right? So, you were drunk? Wine? My apologies for prying; hope I am not too inquisitive. Just trying to understand what you are describing. 🤓
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Mountaineer, I believe the whole description was a (wink wink) hypothetical. Sort of like the unfortunate boating accidents that keep claiming all our gold.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Xan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:48 pm Mountaineer, I believe the whole description was a (wink wink) hypothetical. Sort of like the unfortunate boating accidents that keep claiming all our gold.
;D ;D ;D What’s a boat? What’s gold? What’s a Smithers? What’s a trip on the wild side? I’m getting a better understanding of Schroedinger’s cat given this discussion. 🤣🤣🤣
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 pm Smith, you said no drugs involved with your trip, right? So, you were drunk? Wine? My apologies for prying; hope I am not too inquisitive. Just trying to understand what you are describing. 🤓
Xan wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:48 pm Mountaineer, I believe the whole description was a (wink wink) hypothetical. Sort of like the unfortunate boating accidents that keep claiming all our gold.
^-^ ^-^ ^-^

I'm looking forward to many more (safe, responsible, and legal) spiritual journeys!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mark Leavy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:31 pm ...
veal.jpeg
This thread reminds me of Mark.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/th ... ii.579856/
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I need COFFFEEEEE.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

That satisfying feeling when you've been able to reduce a 10 line solution to a problem into a single line of code. ^-^
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm That satisfying feeling when you've been able to reduce a 10 line solution to a problem into a single line of code. ^-^
Deleted all of the carriage returns, huh? ;)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm That satisfying feeling when you've been able to reduce a 10 line solution to a problem into a single line of code. ^-^
Deleted all of the carriage returns, huh? ;)
Hahahahaha!!!

It was a rigmarole of if statements and for loops replaced by a single built-in Javascript method. O0
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:10 pm
It was a rigmarole of if statements and for loops replaced by a single built-in Javascript method. O0
Javascript method
You're killing me smither's.

Javascript is an abomination. And I've known Gosling since before java was accepted. I think even he would agree.

And... get off my lawn.

Mark
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:54 pm Javascript method
You're killing me smither's.

Javascript is an abomination. And I've known Gosling since before java was accepted. I think even he would agree.

And... get off my lawn.

Mark
I don't disagree hehe. Ruby and Ruby on Rails are really my jam. DHH is a personal hero of mine.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 pm
I don't disagree hehe. Ruby and Ruby on Rails are really my jam. DHH is a personal hero of mine.
Kids these days...

But fair enough. DHH is pretty cool.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I arrived in San Diego this evening. I'll spend a week here and then another week in Palm Springs to take care of family stuff.

But... a person could pick a worse place to spend a few days. Sunny and warm. Left out of my front door is Mission Bay, right is Pacific Beach.

PacificBeach.jpeg
PacificBeach.jpeg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm I arrived in San Diego this evening. I'll spend a week here and then another week in Palm Springs to take care of family stuff.

But... a person could pick a worse place to spend a few days. Sunny and warm. Left out of my front door is Mission Bay, right is Pacific Beach.

PacificBeach.jpeg
How picturesque!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Enough coding for tonight. Turning in. So tired.

Goodnight guys!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm I arrived in San Diego this evening. I'll spend a week here and then another week in Palm Springs to take care of family stuff.

PacificBeach.jpeg
Gorgeous.
(And a FOR SALE sign. Saving my pennies)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just finished Edward Snowden's book Permanent Record. Such a phenomenal read. The book goes into a lot of detail regarding Snowden's life, his motivations, and the inner machinations of the NSA that aren't covered in podcasts and documentaries.

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Snowden. That bit where he hides the micro SD card inside one of the facets of the rubik's cube? Snowden is coy, but heavily implies that that part was true.

The book also made me, someone already acutely aware of the issue of mass surveillance, extra paranoid. Hell, I'm paranoid even admitting on this public forum that I read the book. Permanent Record feels like a real life analog of "The Book" in Orwell's 1984.

Snowden a modern-day Goldstein?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Ultimate first world problem: Face ID on my iPhone not working because I have to wear a mask.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all