Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:16 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:04 pm

That MapleGram is beautiful. I wouldn't mind a pocketful of those - even at the crazy markup. Well done.
Thanks! I do really enjoy collecting these MapleGrams. Yes, they're not very efficient in terms of spreads, but I honestly don't really care. They're very fun to own! I have a few of them floating in my wallet at any given time. (Shhhh don't tell anyone.)

A nice compromise is the purchase of these little MapleGrams in bulk. You can order a "sheet" of 25 of them all at once and the spread becomes quite minimal. I actually just compared the spread to the 1 ounce gold coins and the spread may favour the bulk MapleGrams depending on how much you value the divisibility. I prefer the MapleGrams overall to the CombiBars too, as I think the plastic shell is probably pretty valuable for durability.

Here's a look at the MapleGram sheet.

maplegrams.png
maplegrams.png (311.49 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Last edited by Smith1776 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:28 am

As an aside, the woman helping me at the VBCE mentioned that while supplies were already tight due to the pandemic, the riots and civil unrest have seemingly introduced an additional surge of demand. I suppose this shouldn't be surprising. We're already over $1700 as of today. I wonder if we'll see $2000 in the next year.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 pm

The gold supply at my local dealers is getting even tighter these days. Some denominations are backordered as far as 12 weeks from now. How are supplies at your local dealers guys?

gold.png
gold.png (458.63 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 pm
How are supplies at your local dealers guys?
I haven't been to my local shop in a long time. Apmex has the kangaroos I crave, but the markup is still too high.
Long bonds are really what I'm too low on...no rush.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:24 pm
I haven't been to my local shop in a long time. Apmex has the kangaroos I crave, but the markup is still too high.
Long bonds are really what I'm too low on...no rush.
Those Kangaroos are beautiful! The coins aren't bad either!

By the way, guys. TODAY I GET TO GO TO THE GYM. WOOHOO! I just signed up for Planet Fitness here in Vancouver. It's actually cheaper than my previous gym at $15 bucks a month, and the hours are more favourable too.

I'll be taking it easy at first since I haven't done a workout in a long time. Additionally, this time in self-isolation has given me an opportunity to reflect on how hard my exercise routine was on my body. I think I'll take it a little easier from here on out so as not to stress out my knees in particular. Don't want to end up like Ronnie Coleman....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Is that 15 Canadian or did you pre-convert? Either way, it does not seem expensive.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:07 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:49 pm
Is that 15 Canadian or did you pre-convert? Either way, it does not seem expensive.
15 dollars Canadian. So, about 7 cents American?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 pm

:D
(Vinny, see previous page for context. I’m too tired to chase it).
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:29 am

Just came back from the gym. Here's a snapshot of the "damage" done by the inactivity since March.

- I did 7 reps of 225 pound bench press. Before lockdown I could do twice that number of reps.
- I ran for 1.25 miles on the treadmill before needing to stop. Before lockdown I typically did 3 miles before lifting weights.
- 3 chin ups and gave up. I could previously do 20 to 25.

I imagine that this first workout is a "shock" to the system, and that my original strength will probably return relatively quickly. I wasn't inactive for THAT long.

Also, you know anyone who drives everywhere at or below the speed limit? Well, now you do. When I was driving along Hastings Street tonight I saw some poor soul who got pulled over and was getting their car towed. Whoever they are they have my sympathy.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 am

Here is something to lift your spirits away from obsessing over police defunding, riots, Trump's latest tweet, Biden's latest slip of the tongue, fake news, BLM, climate change, muscle tone loss, lack of gold, or guns. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MUg2BIzBmM

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:27 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:29 am
Just came back from the gym. Here's a snapshot of the "damage" done by the inactivity since March.

- I did 7 reps of 225 pound bench press. Before lockdown I could do twice that number of reps.
- I ran for 1.25 miles on the treadmill before needing to stop. Before lockdown I typically did 3 miles before lifting weights.

I imagine that this first workout is a "shock" to the system, and that my original strength will probably return relatively quickly. I wasn't inactive for THAT long.

Also, you know anyone who drives everywhere at or below the speed limit?
Me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

Smith1776 wrote:

Also, you know anyone who drives everywhere at or below the speed limit? Well, now you do. When I was driving along Hastings Street tonight I saw some poor soul who got pulled over and was getting their car towed. Whoever they are they have my sympathy.
How much do you weigh?

I weighed 148 this morning. Doing 3 sets of 3 reps of 120 pound bench presses is my absolute limit. Some days I can only do 2 reps in each of those 3 sets.

Just tried the chinups. First one was pretty easy. But that about exhausted my strength as I could only get partway up on a second before nothing was left.

CLEARLY upper body strength is NOT my thing!

Speed limit? I try to keep to 5 miles above. Also, since 2005 I've been using cruise control as much as possible as that seems to greatly reduce my general anxiety of being in a car and not getting anything productive done while I am in it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

How much do you weigh?

I weighed 148 this morning. Doing 3 sets of 3 reps of 120 pound bench presses is my absolute limit. Some days I can only do 2 reps in each of those 3 sets.

Just tried the chinups. First one was pretty easy. But that about exhausted my strength as I could only get partway up on a second before nothing was left.

Speed limit? I try to keep to 5 miles above. Also, since 2005 I've been using cruise control as much as possible as that seems to greatly reduce my general anxiety of being in a car and not getting anything productive done while I am in it.

Vinny
We sound like we have opposite body types. I have sometimes been referred to as having a "mass monster" body type in the gym. I put on weight very easily. The downside is that it's not just muscle, I also put on fat very easily. I need to do cardio pretty much every day to stop my bodyweight from spiralling out of control.

I am 5'11" and weigh about 215 to 220 pounds depending on the day. Cardio for me does pose problems with chronic stress on my knees, so I am wanting to opt for lighter cardio going forward. I'm especially looking forward to swimming again!

I am wondering what ramifications autopilot will have for traffic tickets and red light cameras going forward. If my Tesla somehow runs a red light accidentally, is it my fault? I wasn't even driving.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:23 pm

I am wondering what ramifications autopilot will have for traffic tickets and red light cameras going forward. If my Tesla somehow runs a red light accidentally, is it my fault? I wasn't even driving.
Not your fault for speeding. But when your neighbors report that your cat is killing the local blue jays, your Tesla will lock the doors one day on your trip to the grocery store and drive you directly to Judge Judy.

May god have mercy on your soul.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:23 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

How much do you weigh?

Vinny
We sound like we have opposite body types. I have sometimes been referred to as having a "mass monster" body type in the gym. I put on weight very easily. The downside is that it's not just muscle, I also put on fat very easily. I need to do cardio pretty much every day to stop my bodyweight from spiralling out of control.

I am 5'11" and weigh about 215 to 220 pounds depending on the day. Cardio for me does pose problems with chronic stress on my knees, so I am wanting to opt for lighter cardio going forward. I'm especially looking forward to swimming again!

I am either 5'8" or 5' 8 1/2". Classic ectomorph. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/artic ... morph.html

I've never weighed more than 169 in my life. I'm oftentimes shocked when people I play softball or basketball with tell me how much they weigh.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:24 am

Smith1776 wrote:
[...]
Damn, bro. You got some strength. Have you ever measured your vertical jump or played competitive sports?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:56 am

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:24 am
Smith1776 wrote:
[...]
Damn, bro. You got some strength. Have you ever measured your vertical jump or played competitive sports?
This makes me feel better that someone much younger than me is also impressed.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks guys! I don't do a lot of proper sports. I mostly just stick with the bodybuilding stuff in the gym. Sports do pose a bit of a problem for me because of my knee issues. Sports like basketball that require a lot of pivoting and quick changes in direction can cause some pain. I'm glad that none of my career aspirations are athletic ones hehe.

Another workout tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Also, just to report on my driving. I definitely have a certain measure of anxiety while driving now. Just today, I was approaching an intersection with a red light camera. The light turned yellow, and I was so paranoid about getting a red light camera ticket that I jammed on my brake when any normal person would have just kept going. I had such little stopping distance that the front of my car went a little into the crosswalk space (not the intersection). There are red light and speeding cameras all over Vancouver. I'm just so. bloody. paranoid. while driving now.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Some pictures of the "new normal" at the gym these days. Despite being at half capacity at best, there's always a lineup to get in. Additionally, every other machine is not available for use in order to maintain distance between people. Extra cleaning supplies are everywhere, too.
sign.png
sign.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4519 times
machines.png
machines.png (2.21 MiB) Viewed 4519 times
lineup.png
lineup.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4519 times
inside.png
inside.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4519 times
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

How does the free weight area look?

According to 24-hour fitness policy you have to schedule a 60-min session the prior day and the club closes promptly between customer sessions to sanitize.
My partner and I usually spend roughly 2-3 hours per workout so this structure is a non-starter for us.

I have a home gym that I currently use and may never return to the gym.
Current totals: 445/365/501 squat/bench/dL
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

According to 24-hour fitness policy you have to schedule a 60-min session the prior day and the club closes promptly between customer sessions to sanitize.
My partner and I usually spend roughly 2-3 hours per workout so this structure is a non-starter for us.

The free weight area is most packed by far. Second most packed is the squat racks and smith machines. There are markers on the ground where you're supposed to stand when using the free weights, but many people seem to be ignoring them.

Planet Fitness doesn't have a time limit for long you can stay. They have the capacity limit in place along with extra cleaning. It seems to be working pretty well for them so far.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm
Planet Fitness doesn't have a time limit for long you can stay. They have the capacity limit in place along with extra cleaning. It seems to be working pretty well for them so far.
Let's check back in six months and see if it's still working pretty well for them. I predict bankruptcy for any gyms that keep the social-distancing restrictions in place for more than a couple of months.

Gold's Gym files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (May 5)
24 Hour Fitness close to bankruptcy (June 9)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm

buddtholomew wrote:

We have some literal monsters in this forum! What is YOUR height and weight?

As the proverbial hard gainer and plateau-er for long periods of times...my current totals for same are:

160 / 120 / 200

Quite different from yours!!!

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm
buddtholomew wrote:

We have some literal monsters in this forum! What is YOUR height and weight?

As the proverbial hard gainer and plateau-er for long periods of times...my current totals for same are:

160 / 120 / 200

Quite different from yours!!!

Vinny
Wait 'til you learn the size of his portfolio. Talk about monsters! As I recall there are 8 figures before the decimal point. I say this with all due respect and jealousy. I wonder how many 8-figure guys can lift that much? Probably not many.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 pm

I probably have the most diminutive portfolio out of all the regular posters on this forum. A combination of being young-ish and paying for tuition has led to a portfolio in the 5 figure range.

The plus side of that is that pretty much all of my assets fit in tax-benefitted accounts.