Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:43 am
I hired a nutritionist/trainer and had my first Zoom meeting with her a couple days ago. I told her that I was fairly well versed in fitness concepts and overall was fairly competent in the area. She showed me how wrong I was.

"So you're pretty good with fitness, hey? How much water do you drink every day?"

"...I don't know..."

"Tisk, tisk, tisk...."
How much did she prescribe that you drink a day?

I am terrible at drinking water. I can go a full day without drinking anything, which is not good.

Thirst is not a sign of when you should be drinking. And, as you age it gets worse in terms of when you feel like you need to drink something.

Recently I've been trying to establish a "good" habit of drinking a quart of water when I do my daily morning sitting at this computer to do certain items. And, then another quart after I eat a huge amount of popcorn in the afternoon (generally my first "meal" of the day). But I can easily "forget" to do either or both. At some point the habit WILL be established for both the same as I could not let myself NOT brush my teeth twice a day.

I can see the results from frequent drinking in terms of the color of my urine.

But I don't like the accompanying constant annoying feeling of needing to get rid of the water and the constant interruptions that necessitates.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:47 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:43 am

"So you're pretty good with fitness, hey? How much water do you drink every day?"

"...I don't know..."

"Tisk, tisk, tisk...."
Fire her. The water thing is bogus. If your pee isn't dark yellow, you're good.
I agree.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Wow. I didn't expect the water thing to raise so much ire. Honestly, that's very surprising.

She recommended I drink 3 litres a day -- a lot of that being based on my current level of physical activity and the amount of coffee I drink.

For the record... my pee typically has been yellow.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:31 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:13 pm
Wow. I didn't expect the water thing to raise so much ire. Honestly, that's very surprising.
Trying to make you feel stupid for not knowing how much water you drink every day is a dick move. It's a psychological trick to make you feel inadequate and solidify her position as an authoritative coach. But.. I mean, if that's what you're paying for who am I to judge.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Mark Rippetoe talked about the water thing on his Starting Strength podcast one time. He was mocking people who constantly "sip" water from a bottle throughout the day.

He said (to paraphrase), "I don't sip water from a damn bottle all day. I drink a big glass of water when I feel thirsty. And I eat food when I feel hungry. Funny how the human body signals what it needs when it needs it, right?"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:34 pm
Mark Rippetoe talked about the water thing on his Starting Strength podcast one time. He was mocking people who constantly "sip" water from a bottle throughout the day.

He said (to paraphrase), "I don't sip water from a damn bottle all day. I drink a big glass of water when I feel thirsty. And I eat food when I feel hungry. Funny how the human body signals what it needs when it needs it, right?"
Though I am a HUGE Mark Rippetoe fan...read his Starting Strength book twice and have many, many, many times played his DVD while doing the actual barbell exercises....I think he is dead wrong on this one.

Want to stay hydrated? Drink before you're thirsty

Did you know you're already dehydrated when you start to feel thirsty? Don't wait to take a drink. Instead, practice these simple tips to master a hydration habit that lasts for life.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/want-to-stay ... t-20390077

I am almost never thirsty. Even on days when I drink nothing.

And, I can tell the next morning in my urine when I've not had anything to drink the prior day (aside from what water I get from the foods I consume).

It's quite easy to monitor the color of my urine because I go into two cup peanut butter jars (which I then once a week pour into my garden's compost pile).

The color is quite dark after not drinking at all the prior day whereas after drinking the quart of water this morning all that came out after was almost clear.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Trainer criticisms aside, I have noticed immediately that the skin on my face seems more "plump" and youthful already after just a couple days of this 3-litre per day regimen. Could be a placebo effect, but maybe not. I wasn't looking for skin changes ahead of time.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Most of us are of the thinking in this book (I think). He covers everything in 4-8 page snippets. Things that I have otherwise read whole books on are nicely summarized here.

Like cholesterol, fats, wheat, food pyramid, salt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Doctor-T ... 162860378X
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:43 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Though I am a HUGE Mark Rippetoe fan...read his Starting Strength book twice and have many, many, many times played his DVD while doing the actual barbell exercises....I think he is dead wrong on this one.

Did you know you're already dehydrated when you start to feel thirsty? Don't wait to take a drink. Instead, practice these simple tips to master a hydration habit that lasts for life.

And, I can tell the next morning in my urine when I've not had anything to drink the prior day (aside from what water I get from the foods I consume).

It's quite easy to monitor the color of my urine because I go into two cup peanut butter jars (which I then once a week pour into my garden's compost pile).

The color is quite dark after not drinking at all the prior day whereas after drinking the quart of water this morning all that came out after was almost clear.

Vinny
Vinny, man, that is WAY too much info.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
^-^ ^-^ ^-^
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Vinny
Seemed completely mild compared to some of the other things I have read here...

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:13 pm
Most of us are of the thinking in this book (I think). He covers everything in 4-8 page snippets. Things that I have otherwise read whole books on are nicely summarized here.

Had never prior heard of it until now.

But bought it both based upon your recommendation and the seeing that it had 2,375 reviews which averaged 5 stars.

Thanks

This forum has been yet another source for me to become aware of books and then to buy them.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Just don’t post any samples.
You know how a color on a screen never matches real life, anyway.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Have to agree. Seems pretty tame to me.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm

Smith approves, Vinny. Urine good company.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Indeed. For whatever the opinion of the ignorant water guy with the bad emotional constitution is worth. ^-^
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Imagine someone just googled to learn more about the pp.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm
Cortopassi wrote:

But bought it both based upon your recommendation and the seeing that it had 2,375 reviews which averaged 5 stars.

Thanks

This forum has been yet another source for me to become aware of books and then to buy them.

Vinny
Haven't read the book but Dr. Berry has been one of my main sources for info on the keto diet. He has a lot of Youtubes on the subject.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Just don’t post any samples.
You know how a color on a screen never matches real life, anyway.
Plus, each monitor displays colors differently.

I have four different monitors connected to this computer. None of them are identical.

Though I've extended my display to these four monitors I can only choose abackground that is the same for each of them.

I chose a picture of my softball team from a year ago.

The picture was from early November and it was quite cold that day (upper 40s) and I had on multiple layers, topped with a red piece of clothing.

As I look at all four monitors the shading of red is distinctly different in each one of them.

I presently have a cat on my lap so don't want to get up and and get that piece of clothing to compare. But I'd guess none of the monitors quite match its shade of red.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:39 pm
Tortoise wrote:
I cannot tell if the pun was deliberate or not!!! For what I know of you I'd have to say 60 / 40!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:59 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm
Cortopassi wrote:

Thanks

Vinny
Haven't read the book but Dr. Berry has been one of my main sources for info on the keto diet. He has a lot of Youtubes on the subject.
Prior to buying the book I read the first three pages of reviews. And, in those reviews there were several references to keto. I've read many references by all of you here. Have no idea what it is. But will once I read the book. It's high on my list of choices and probably will read it within the next week.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:24 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
I cannot tell if the pun was deliberate or not!!! For what I know of you I'd have to say 60 / 40!
O0 Deliberate
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:24 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
O0 Deliberate
Of course, I did not get it until the third time around! And, was still not certain which is why I had to ask.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 am

No worries. We all have different irony meter calibrations.
RIP Marcello Gandini