Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:22 am Have a great trip! Be safe.
Hungary: jealous.

Ukraine: less so?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Less so. O0 Well, I’m half Hungarian and wanted to go there with my girlfriend (1990’s) when we were in the region.
Ukraine- is kind of busy right now.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

We just heard our first air raid siren last night as we were trying to sleep. All good so far though.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:00 am We just heard our first air raid siren last night as we were trying to sleep. All good so far though.
😬
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

My fiance and I just slept through most of the first day or so we've been here. Other than the air raid sirens, there isn't any obvious sign of war in the region we are currently in. Some observations:

- Most people are doing their best to go about their day to day lives. There's a strong attitude of "don't give in to fear".
- The Canadian Dollar has tremendous purchasing power here. An 8 or 9 dollar pack of cheese in Canada is about the equivalent of 2 dollars here. One of my fiance's family friends was showing us their heating and power bill for a month and it was like 18 bucks.
- My fiance's family lives in an apartment with 1 bathroom (that 5 people are now sharing), and I've been dreading the sounds/smells I might leave in my wake. I'm literally waiting till we go out to the local coffee shop to poop.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

^ matchbook in wallet and matchbook on top of toilet tank. When match burns down to stub, extinguish with water in palm of hand so you dont set trash on fire.

Unrelated content
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I wonder if they still use newsprint for t.p.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

boglerdude wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:10 am ^ matchbook in wallet and matchbook on top of toilet tank. When match burns down to stub, extinguish with water in palm of hand so you dont set trash on fire.

Unrelated content
Ah yes, good point. Doesn’t help the sound issue though. I’m known to have epic toilet orchestras lmao.

Thank god for that coffee shop today.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Snap some photos if you get a chance, Smithers, and it’ll be greatly appreciated.
Not of the coffee shop toilet, just, you know, Ukraine and stuff.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 am
My fiance and I just slept through most of the first day or so we've been here. Other than the air raid sirens, there isn't any obvious sign of war in the region we are currently in. Some observations:

- Most people are doing their best to go about their day to day lives. There's a strong attitude of "don't give in to fear".
- The Canadian Dollar has tremendous purchasing power here. An 8 or 9 dollar pack of cheese in Canada is about the equivalent of 2 dollars here. One of my fiance's family friends was showing us their heating and power bill for a month and it was like 18 bucks.
- My fiance's family lives in an apartment with 1 bathroom (that 5 people are now sharing), and I've been dreading the sounds/smells I might leave in my wake. I'm literally waiting till we go out to the local coffee shop to poop.

In my mid-20s or four years I lived in a house with 5 bedrooms (2 in the basement) with at least 5 adults (sometimes up to 7) and only one bathroom. Sometimes I'd have an hour's wait to use the bathroom in the morning. I lived with 33 different people over that span of four years. I also lived in four of the five bedrooms.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 am Snap some photos if you get a chance, Smithers, and it’ll be greatly appreciated.
Not of the coffee shop toilet, just, you know, Ukraine and stuff.
A few random snaps from today. O0

IMG_4201.jpg
IMG_4201.jpg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4210.jpg
IMG_4210.jpg (143.31 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4212.jpg
IMG_4212.jpg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4213.jpg
IMG_4213.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg (128.45 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4218.jpg
IMG_4218.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4219.jpg
IMG_4219.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4220.jpg
IMG_4220.jpg (114.85 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_4211.jpg
IMG_4211.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 889 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 am
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 am My fiance and I just slept through most of the first day or so we've been here. Other than the air raid sirens, there isn't any obvious sign of war in the region we are currently in. Some observations:

In my mid-20s or four years I lived in a house with 5 bedrooms (2 in the basement) with at least 5 adults (sometimes up to 7) and only one bathroom. Sometimes I'd have an hour's wait to use the bathroom in the morning. I lived with 33 different people over that span of four years. I also lived in four of the five bedrooms.
Can I come live with you? O0
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:06 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 am

After I left that house I've been almost all the time by myself. And, loving it!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Very interesting photos, Smith. Thanks! 🙏
Of course, the statue is showing off a copy of The Permanent Portfolio book.
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Tired of women already? 😂
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:17 pm Tired of women already? 😂
You know it!

That's when my mind delves more into stock market tinkering as an outlet. Isn't that why we're all here? ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Ukrainian coffee is AMAZING.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smithers, what makes the coffee amazing?

Re. your signature: What is the other 1% ? Just curious!

Stay safe and don't get constipated. Perhaps buy ear plugs and nose closer clips for everyone? :-)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:05 am Ukrainian coffee is AMAZING.
Why did I picture you typing this from the coffee shop bathroom?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:46 am Smithers, what makes the coffee amazing?

Stay safe and don't get constipated. Perhaps buy ear plugs and nose closer clips for everyone? :-)
The coffee is much stronger on average than in North America and there’s lots of unique takes on flavour such as grapefruit lattes.

Ah, my asset allocation is still 4 x 25, but I’m now allowing my personal finance needs to dictate my cash balance as opposed to my chosen portfolio strategy. Nothing has really changed for my part, just a mental accounting kind of thing. And more flexibility to let my cash balance grow or shrink as needed. :)
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:46 am

I am guessing it is roundoff

33 1/3
33 1/3
33 1/3
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 am
Mountaineer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:46 am Smithers, what makes the coffee amazing?

The coffee is much stronger on average than in North America and there’s lots of unique takes on flavour such as grapefruit lattes.

Ah, my asset allocation is still 4 x 25, but I’m now allowing my personal finance needs to dictate my cash balance as opposed to my chosen portfolio strategy. Nothing has really changed for my part, just a mental accounting kind of thing. And more flexibility to let my cash balance grow or shrink as needed. :)
I really like strong coffee. The "dishwater" that some prefer is hardly worth the label "coffee", especially when they put skim milk in it instead of cream, or don't drink it black. It's like preferring non-alcoholic beer! Have you invested in ear plugs and nose clips yet? ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:24 am
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 am
Mountaineer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:46 am

I really like strong coffee. The "dishwater" that some prefer is hardly worth the label "coffee", especially when they put skim milk in it instead of cream, or don't drink it black. It's like preferring non-alcoholic beer! Have you invested in ear plugs and nose clips yet? ;D ;D ;D

1) On the rare times I drink coffee the only thing I add is some sweetener liker maple syrup or Stevia.
2) I'd like to try a non-alcoholic beer except even those have some alcohol in them?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smithers wrote: The coffee is much stronger on average than in North America and there’s lots of unique takes on flavour such as grapefruit lattes.

I really like strong coffee.
I made my wife coffee for six months before I realized that the plastic “tablespoon” I was using was really 2 TBSP. (You’re supposed to fill the square inside the spoon and not the whole spoon, I guess). No wonder she thought my coffee was richer than that at restaurants. I switched to true tablespoons one day and she said it was like coffee-flavored water. O0
Back to double portions of coffee grounds, or something in between.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:45 pm
Smithers wrote: The coffee is much stronger on average than in North America and there’s lots of unique takes on flavour such as grapefruit lattes.

I really like strong coffee.
I made my wife coffee for six months before I realized that the plastic “tablespoon” I was using was really 2 TBSP. (You’re supposed to fill the square inside the spoon and not the whole spoon, I guess). No wonder she thought my coffee was richer than that at restaurants. I switched to true tablespoons one day and she said it was like coffee-flavored water. O0
Back to double portions of coffee grounds, or something in between.
What a guy! Your wife has great taste. 👍🏼👍🏼
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

..in coffee anyway. O0