Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11781
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:19 pm
The gal next to me tonight was yammering some long drawn out story and said something something ... “torlet paper”

I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard that before, but my brain went straight to “damn, girl, you from Boston?”

She was. North End.

I so love language. And our brains our mysterious things.
O0 Archie Bunker used to say turlet.
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Huh. I thought Bostonians just don’t pronounce Rs. “Bah” instead of “bar”, “cah” instead of “car”, etc. Wouldn’t have guessed “torlet”.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11781
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm
Huh. I thought Bostonians just don’t pronounce Rs. “Bah” instead of “bar”, “cah” instead of “car”, etc. Wouldn’t have guessed “torlet”.
Maybe it's like the British where they put them in when unneeded. 😂 I sawr a film today. No offense to our British pp'ers.
traveling...
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the Boston accent is actually rather endearing? O0
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm
Am I the only one who thinks the Boston accent is actually rather endearing? O0
My boy's wicked smart.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm
Am I the only one who thinks the Boston accent is actually rather endearing? O0
LOL. Yea probably.

I was once at a friend's friend's place in Manhattan for a party. His girlfriend was smoking hot. Completely unintelligible Boston accent. Drunk-Bostonian is nearly a foreign language.
One should not praise men who are like to women, or women who are like to men. Unless some necessity overtake the woman.
- Unattributed Spartan
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm
Am I the only one who thinks the Boston accent is actually rather endearing? O0
LOL. Yea probably.

I was once at a friend's friend's place in Manhattan for a party. His girlfriend was smoking hot. Completely unintelligible Boston accent. Drunk-Bostonian is nearly a foreign language.
lmao.
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

The sun comes up. In a coffee cup.

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 am

The view from my balcony this morning. The Blue Ridge Mountains, just before sunrise.
Sunrise.jpeg
Sunrise.jpeg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 257 times
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:40 pm

I hope dualstow is staying safe and is having fun on his travels.
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Sweet home Alabama

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Mobile AL, tonight. On my way to New Orleans in the morning.

mobile.jpeg
mobile.jpeg (231.55 KiB) Viewed 184 times

I continue to be delighted at how much I enjoy basic polite conversation. Please and Thank You and Beg your pardon.
User avatar
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: Sweet home Alabama

Post by drumminj » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:30 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 pm
I continue to be delighted at how much I enjoy basic polite conversation. Please and Thank You and Beg your pardon.
Everyone calls me 'sir' here in TN. Still freaks me out, but I appreciate the politeness/respectfulness.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 am

:o :o ;D ;D
112233.png
112233.png (499.82 KiB) Viewed 146 times
One should not praise men who are like to women, or women who are like to men. Unless some necessity overtake the woman.
- Unattributed Spartan
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Desert » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:50 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm
Huh. I thought Bostonians just don’t pronounce Rs. “Bah” instead of “bar”, “cah” instead of “car”, etc. Wouldn’t have guessed “torlet”.
Maybe it's like the British where they put them in when unneeded. 😂 I sawr a film today. No offense to our British pp'ers.
Right!

I like to think of it as "conservation of R's." In other words, R's cannot be created or destroyed, so when they're eliminated in one word, they must be added to another word where they clearly do not belong.

So when a Bostonian talks about their "cah," they must then also have some good "idears" to conserve the total number of R's in the universe.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3327
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Xan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Desert wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:50 am
dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm
Huh. I thought Bostonians just don’t pronounce Rs. “Bah” instead of “bar”, “cah” instead of “car”, etc. Wouldn’t have guessed “torlet”.
Maybe it's like the British where they put them in when unneeded. 😂 I sawr a film today. No offense to our British pp'ers.
Right!

I like to think of it as "conservation of R's." In other words, R's cannot be created or destroyed, so when they're eliminated in one word, they must be added to another word where they clearly do not belong.

So when a Bostonian talks about their "cah," they must then also have some good "idears" to conserve the total number of R's in the universe.
The perfect example of this is "career" vs "Korea". Normal people pronounce them as written, while Bostonians do it backwards. As you say, the Rs are conserved.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Tortoise » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 pm
I probably won't have internet for a few days.
...or a few weeks, apparently. ;D
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5831
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 pm

I probably won't have internet for a few days.


...or a few weeks, apparently. ;D


Yes. Dualstow's absence has been well noticed by me!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 pm

The elevator in my hotel speaks Southern. Complete with extra syllables.

Flo-or sy ix.
Post Reply