Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow »

I think “jeet yet?’ is pretty common in many parts of the U.S.
Mark, I love your story about English with a French accent- awesome. In Taipei, sometimes the cabbies would call out to us gringos with an American accent, basically ignoring tones and just rising at the end like an American question. Now, can you imagine how PC it would be for a cabbie to ask a Chinese person “do you want a cab?” with a stereotype Chinese accent? O0 That’s what they did to me.
I learned to say “San Peeeedro” from George Takei, even if it’s not in this specific clip.
https://youtu.be/LuZbZD0vHCM
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

WHY OH WHY OH WHY CAN MY PRINTER NOT PRINT BLACK AND WHITE WHEN IT'S ONLY LOW ON CYAN??????

ARARGHAHGGHGHGHGHFGFJGHGHGHGH!!!!
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:02 pm ..
GH!!!!
Unless you are printing lots of color documents/photos, get yourself a cheap b&w laser printer. Can be had for $50US on sale. Toner cartridges last forever, and cheap aftermarket remanufactured replacements generally work well.
+1 I've been using a laser printer since the late 90s and by the time I need toner (years), I usually get a new printer which comes with toner. Ignore the first warning about low toner. It lasts a really long time, as Pug said, and it doesn't dry out because it's already powder.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:52 pm
MangoMan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:02 pm ..
GH!!!!
Unless you are printing lots of color documents/photos, get yourself a cheap b&w laser printer. Can be had for $50US on sale. Toner cartridges last forever, and cheap aftermarket remanufactured replacements generally work well.
+1 I've been using a laser printer since the late 90s and by the time I need toner (years), I usually get a new printer which comes with toner. Ignore the first warning about low toner. It lasts a really long time, as Pug said, and it doesn't dry out because it's already powder.
When I started my job in October 2008 I inherited an HP laser black and white printer. Could have been anywhere from three to five years old at that point? When I last used it this past March it was still working flawlessly. But its toner cartridges were not cheap. I seem to remember somewhere in the $80 to $125 range? I'd go through two or three a year. They clearly did not last forever but, perhaps, in an office setting I dused it far more than any of you do on a personal level? I did not use it exclusively for all my printing. I had available to me the same much more capable printer that everyone else had access to. I'd use that one for either color copies or long print runs.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

On the topic of laser printer toner, I have a question.

I recently replaced the color toner cartridges in my HP printer with off-brand ones, and there seems to be a weird issue with the new cyan cartridge. Cyan toner only prints along the rightmost 1-2 inches of the page, then "smears" into nothing to the left of that.

The cartridge surface that touches the paper looks clean -- no smudges or fingerprints that I can see. I tried the printer's built-in cleaning function, but that didn't fix the problem. Then I looked up some toner troubleshooting tips online, and the most common one seemed to be removing the cartridge, rocking/rotating it gently back and forth a few times, then putting it back in. I did that, but it didn't fix the problem either.

Any other ideas? Not sure I want the hassle of contacting the off-brand company to return the cartridge, so I may just buy another cyan cartridge from a different company (possibly HP this time).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

@Tort: hmm, I don't know. I only have a black & white, Brother brand.
@Vin: you're right. I don't print that often. I used to print entire ebooks from Project Gutenberg. Then I read a study on laser printer pollution and that it's like smoking packs of cigarettes if you're not in a well ventilated room. I'm sure things have gotten better since then, but I hate to think of all the particulate matter I inhaled to print that stupid copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 pm @Tort: hmm, I don't know. I only have a black & white, Brother brand.
@Vin: you're right. I don't print that often. I used to print entire ebooks from Project Gutenberg. Then I read a study on laser printer pollution and that it's like smoking packs of cigarettes if you're not in a well ventilated room. I'm sure things have gotten better since then, but I hate to think of all the particulate matter I inhaled to print that stupid copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
I'd also use that printer for any personal printing needs I've had. Since I've been home as of mid-March I've had no personal needs for printing anything.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I print things out at the library. It's so infrequent that I could fund it entirely with coins I find on the ground.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I committed a venial sin today and made up for it by donating $50 to a GoFundMe to balance it out.

Hopefully karma sees it the way I do. 8)
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 pm I committed a venial sin today and made up for it by donating $50 to a GoFundMe to balance it out.

Hopefully karma sees it the way I do. 8)
Karma prefers 4-star charities at Charity Navigator.
At least that’s what I read in the Vedic scriptures.
It said there were too many fakes on GoFundMe.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... r_all_the/

Please do yourself a favour and watch this short video. ^-^
DITM
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Saw this gem today.

EBA0FD45-D26D-426F-994A-07711200D5FB.jpeg
EBA0FD45-D26D-426F-994A-07711200D5FB.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 3834 times
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 pm Saw this gem today.

EBA0FD45-D26D-426F-994A-07711200D5FB.jpeg
As the proud owner of about 1,200 Marvel comic books from the 1963 to 1970 era.... absolutely LOVE IT!!

Thanks, Smith 1776!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

In something totally unrelated and non-political....

Mass email from university IT today. It warned of an increase in phishing attacks - which you'd have to be living under a rock not to know about. But, this was the best part:

"Please click here for additional information on how to protect yourself and your team from falling for phishing attacks."

with the words "click here" as a hyperlink.

I just about fell off my chair laughing.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:53 am In something totally unrelated and non-political....

Mass email from university IT today. It warned of an increase in phishing attacks - which you'd have to be living under a rock not to know about. But, this was the best part:

"Please click here for additional information on how to protect yourself and your team from falling for phishing attacks."

LMAO.
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:53 am ...
the best part:
😂 gold!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

My leftist thought for the day:

I'm all for political correctness .... but I don't think anyone in politics qualifies.

My righteous thought for the day:

Merry Christmas everyone, may the blessings of Jesus give you peace, comfort, and joy!

Another leftist thought for the day:

Do you know Christmas is derived from the Latin for Christ's body? I wonder how long it will take to get the word Christmas banned from general use?

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

My leftist thought for today..

What does a fat bearded man in a red suit driving a reindeer powered sleigh carrying presents built by slave elves locked away in the north poll that then get delivered by committing felony break in through the chimney have to do with the birth of Jesus?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

1_yLYPFXuD2K03C2JbYewrwA.jpeg
1_yLYPFXuD2K03C2JbYewrwA.jpeg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
Santa?
interactive processing wrote: v 1.0
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

In Europe it's a bit different..it's the Christ child that delivers presents on Christmas eve...santa is saint nicholas...different day. He's followed around by Krampus that beat the shit out of you with sticks. Quite scary when you're a kid...even as adult it's creepy.
Krampus Parade -Group shot .jpg
Krampus Parade -Group shot .jpg (772.26 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
interactive processing wrote: Santa V 5 .0
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

interactive processing wrote:
doodle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:20 am My leftist thought for today..

What does a fat bearded man in a red suit driving a reindeer powered sleigh carrying presents built by slave elves locked away in the north poll that then get delivered by committing felony break in through the chimney have to do with the birth of Jesus?
https://medium.com/@mustaphahitani/sant ... 5b05e76f
Oh Lordy...so now Santa is racist???

TV watching now is getting really tiresome, with all the political correctness being imposed on otherwise good storylines. Definitely best to stick to old reruns. On the other hand, if you're a black person aspiring to be an actor, most definitely Hollywood is begging to hire you.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:53 am In something totally unrelated and non-political....

Yeah, I've gotten a few like that as well. Doh!
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Twas the Puritans who banned Christmas celebrations due to Pagan associations (and the excessive merry making).

https://www.history.com/news/when-massa ... -christmas
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

GoDaddy did a phishing test recently - https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... l-phishing
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

0907B404-E6B2-4DC1-8992-25362B0AADCC.jpeg
0907B404-E6B2-4DC1-8992-25362B0AADCC.jpeg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
DITM