Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am

I need COFFFEEEEE.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm

That satisfying feeling when you've been able to reduce a 10 line solution to a problem into a single line of code. ^-^
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm
That satisfying feeling when you've been able to reduce a 10 line solution to a problem into a single line of code. ^-^
Deleted all of the carriage returns, huh? ;)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm
Deleted all of the carriage returns, huh? ;)
Hahahahaha!!!

It was a rigmarole of if statements and for loops replaced by a single built-in Javascript method. O0
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:10 pm

It was a rigmarole of if statements and for loops replaced by a single built-in Javascript method. O0
Javascript method
You're killing me smither's.

Javascript is an abomination. And I've known Gosling since before java was accepted. I think even he would agree.

And... get off my lawn.

Mark
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:54 pm
Javascript method
You're killing me smither's.

Javascript is an abomination. And I've known Gosling since before java was accepted. I think even he would agree.

And... get off my lawn.

Mark
I don't disagree hehe. Ruby and Ruby on Rails are really my jam. DHH is a personal hero of mine.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 pm

I don't disagree hehe. Ruby and Ruby on Rails are really my jam. DHH is a personal hero of mine.
Kids these days...

But fair enough. DHH is pretty cool.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm

I arrived in San Diego this evening. I'll spend a week here and then another week in Palm Springs to take care of family stuff.

But... a person could pick a worse place to spend a few days. Sunny and warm. Left out of my front door is Mission Bay, right is Pacific Beach.

PacificBeach.jpeg
PacificBeach.jpeg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm
I arrived in San Diego this evening. I'll spend a week here and then another week in Palm Springs to take care of family stuff.

But... a person could pick a worse place to spend a few days. Sunny and warm. Left out of my front door is Mission Bay, right is Pacific Beach.

PacificBeach.jpeg
How picturesque!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:46 pm

Enough coding for tonight. Turning in. So tired.

Goodnight guys!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:55 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm

PacificBeach.jpeg
Gorgeous.
(And a FOR SALE sign. Saving my pennies)
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 pm

I just finished Edward Snowden's book Permanent Record. Such a phenomenal read. The book goes into a lot of detail regarding Snowden's life, his motivations, and the inner machinations of the NSA that aren't covered in podcasts and documentaries.

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Snowden. That bit where he hides the micro SD card inside one of the facets of the rubik's cube? Snowden is coy, but heavily implies that that part was true.

The book also made me, someone already acutely aware of the issue of mass surveillance, extra paranoid. Hell, I'm paranoid even admitting on this public forum that I read the book. Permanent Record feels like a real life analog of "The Book" in Orwell's 1984.

Snowden a modern-day Goldstein?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Ultimate first world problem: Face ID on my iPhone not working because I have to wear a mask.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 pm
I just finished Edward Snowden's book Permanent Record. Such a phenomenal read. The book goes into a lot of detail regarding Snowden's life, his motivations, and the inner machinations of the NSA that aren't covered in podcasts and documentaries.

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Snowden. That bit where he hides the micro SD card inside one of the facets of the rubik's cube? Snowden is coy, but heavily implies that that part was true.

The book also made me, someone already acutely aware of the issue of mass surveillance, extra paranoid. Hell, I'm paranoid even admitting on this public forum that I read the book. Permanent Record feels like a real life analog of "The Book" in Orwell's 1984.

Snowden a modern-day Goldstein?
I think it was because of you recently mentioning the book here that I watched the movie last week? Excellent movie.

I also have that book and plan to read it. Also, another one written not by him.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 pm
Ultimate first world problem: Face ID on my iPhone not working because I have to wear a mask.
What if you print a photo of that part of your face- print it on your mask?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 pm

I've had his book on my (very long) to-read list since I heard his recent Rogan podcast, which was high quality.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:24 pm
What if you print a photo of that part of your face- print it on your mask?
The funniest part about that is my biggest fear would be people thinking I'm not actually wearing a mask when I am... such a social faux pas.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:23 pm

I do recommend you guys read the book -- especially if you already have it in your possession. Even if you're a tech a geek you'll probably learn a few things about cybersecurity infrastructure and how the NSA works.

In the book Snowden remarks about an old man he worked with at the CIA when he first got started. This fellow was apparently libertarian minded enough that he stacked krugerrands and had a rather gyroscopic-esque view of the world. The first thing I thought of was how well he'd fit in here on the forum lol.

Another thing that dovetails with our forum was Snowden's inside look at how fat government is and how much you can earn for doing relatively little work. I have a few friends who work for the Canadian government here in the north and it's the same story.

Rather than scoffing at the societal waste of government... it kind of made me jealous of the salaries. ::)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:23 pm
I do recommend you guys read the book -- especially if you already have it in your possession. Even if you're a tech a geek you'll probably learn a few things about cybersecurity infrastructure and how the NSA works.

In the book Snowden remarks about an old man he worked with at the CIA when he first got started. This fellow was apparently libertarian minded enough that he stacked krugerrands and had a rather gyroscopic-esque view of the world. The first thing I thought of was how well he'd fit in here on the forum lol.

Another thing that dovetails with our forum was Snowden's inside look at how fat government is and how much you can earn for doing relatively little work. I have a few friends who work for the Canadian government here in the north and it's the same story.

Rather than scoffing at the societal waste of government... it kind of made me jealous of the salaries. ::)
I worked for the government one year of my life. It was state government as it was a University of Massachusetts position.

On my first meeting with my direct supervisor he told me that this would be the easiest job I'd ever had. That did not excite me at all. I was still only 36 years old and had come off an intense 9 year position with a company which went public and where I'd been introduced at Wall Street as its CFO. I was still looking to make my mark on the world. I'm sure I worked way harder at that job than the typical state employee did. I was quite happy to leave it after a year to go back to working for a private business where there was way more pressure. The type of pressure I was accustomed to responding to and not the government low pressure job which was detrimental to my strong work ethic and achievement drive.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 am

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

Just like your recommendation on the movie got me to watch the movie....your recommendation on the book got me to start reading it yesterday and will finish reading it today. Both the movie and the book are excellent. I did not see any co-author listed for the book which then makes him quite the writer.

This is the last paragraphs I have read...and they seem to have relevance to many posts in this forum!

Vinny

The biggest terrorist attack on American soil happened concurrently with the development of digital technology, which made much of the earth American soil—whether we liked it or not. Terrorism, of course, was the stated reason why most of my country’s surveillance programs were implemented, at a time of great fear and opportunism. But it turned out that fear was the true terrorism, perpetrated by a political system that was increasingly willing to use practically any justification to authorize the use of force. American politicians weren’t as afraid of terror as they were of seeming weak, or of being disloyal to their party, or of being disloyal to their campaign donors, who had ample appetites for government contracts and petroleum products from the Middle East. The politics of terror became more powerful than the terror itself, resulting in “counterterror”: the panicked actions of a country unmatched in capability, unrestrained by policy, and blatantly unconcerned about upholding the rule of law. After 9/11, the IC’s orders had been “never again,” a mission that could never be accomplished. A decade later, it had become clear, to me at least, that the repeated evocations of terror by the political class were not a response to any specific threat or concern but a cynical attempt to turn terror into a permanent danger that required permanent vigilance enforced by unquestionable authority.

After a decade of mass surveillance, the technology had proved itself to be a potent weapon less against terror and more against liberty itself. By continuing these programs, by continuing these lies, America was protecting little, winning nothing, and losing much—until there would be few distinctions left between those post-9/11 polarities of “Us” and “Them.”
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:06 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Just like your recommendation on the movie got me to watch the movie....your recommendation on the book got me to start reading it yesterday and will finish reading it today. Both the movie and the book are excellent. I did not see any co-author listed for the book which then makes him quite the writer.

This is the last paragraphs I have read...and they seem to have relevance to many posts in this forum!

Vinny

The biggest terrorist attack on American soil happened concurrently with the development of digital technology, which made much of the earth American soil—whether we liked it or not. Terrorism, of course, was the stated reason why most of my country’s surveillance programs were implemented, at a time of great fear and opportunism. But it turned out that fear was the true terrorism, perpetrated by a political system that was increasingly willing to use practically any justification to authorize the use of force. American politicians weren’t as afraid of terror as they were of seeming weak, or of being disloyal to their party, or of being disloyal to their campaign donors, who had ample appetites for government contracts and petroleum products from the Middle East. The politics of terror became more powerful than the terror itself, resulting in “counterterror”: the panicked actions of a country unmatched in capability, unrestrained by policy, and blatantly unconcerned about upholding the rule of law. After 9/11, the IC’s orders had been “never again,” a mission that could never be accomplished. A decade later, it had become clear, to me at least, that the repeated evocations of terror by the political class were not a response to any specific threat or concern but a cynical attempt to turn terror into a permanent danger that required permanent vigilance enforced by unquestionable authority.

After a decade of mass surveillance, the technology had proved itself to be a potent weapon less against terror and more against liberty itself. By continuing these programs, by continuing these lies, America was protecting little, winning nothing, and losing much—until there would be few distinctions left between those post-9/11 polarities of “Us” and “Them.”
A ton of relevance!

As a libertarian leaning forum I imagine most of us empathize with Snowden and his motivations for what he did. I certainly do.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 pm

I will be sleeping early as I need to get up at 4:30am for Black Friday tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:01 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 pm
I will be sleeping early as I need to get up at 4:30am for Black Friday tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone!
O0 You’ve got to be kidding me.