Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am

Hal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 am
What? No dog on the bed? ;)

I guess we can't have everything hey? :D
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:01 pm

For all of the Lifters on the forum...

I passed through Wichita Falls, TX early this morning. I had to stop by Mark Rippetoe's gym and get a photo.

WFAC.jpeg
WFAC.jpeg (113.06 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

For those that haven't read it, here's the waiver you have to initial and sign to squat at Rip's gym.
ALL MEMBERS/GUESTS OF WICHITA FALLS ATHLETIC CLUB MUST READ THIS!

Wichita Falls Athletic Club is populated by unstable, unsavory and unpredictable people. Dangers are everywhere. You may fall, be injured or die. There are hidden dangers. You could break your leg. We do not inspect, supervise or maintain the membership, grounds, building, equipment, lavatories or other features or equipment. _______

Real dangers are present everywhere. Treadmills are not sidewalks. They can be, and are, dangerous. Treadmill features such as reading racks, control switches, and railings can break, collapse, or otherwise fail catastrophically at any time. We don't promise to inspect, supervise or maintain them in any way. They may be negligently constructed or repaired. They are unsafe, period. Live with it or stay away. _______

Wichita Falls Athletic Club, in addition to being dangerous, is surprisingly poorly equipped for your comfort and safety. Bring your own first aid supplies, because we don’t provide them, and don’t know how to use them anyway. Barbells and other objects can fall from the racks down onto the platforms. This can happen spontaneously, or may be caused by other members or by the staff, who may be unqualified and/or stupid. Barbell plates can shift, move or fall with no warning. Use of helmets is advised for anyone approaching the squat racks. They cannot be purchased or rented at WFAC, so you’ll need to bring your own. But they won't save you, especially if you get hit by something big or on another part of your body. Don't think it can't happen. Even if you know what you're doing, lots of things can go wrong and you may be injured or die. It happens all the time. _______

The heating and cooling system can be dangerous, regardless of the thermostat setting. Be prepared with extra clothing. Hypothermia, heat stroke, lightning, hot coffee and tea, etc. can kill you. Rain can turn the parking lot into a deathtrap. _______

WFAC does not provide supervision or security personnel. The other people in the gym, including other lifters, our employees, agents, and members, and anyone else who might sneak in, may be stupid, reckless, or otherwise dangerous. They may be mentally ill, criminally insane, drunk, using illegal drugs and/or armed with deadly weapons and ready to use them. In addition, you may experience what you perceive to be sexual harassment, from other members, the owner, or members of the staff. We aren't necessarily going to do anything about it. We refuse to take responsibility. _______

If you lift weights or exercise in any way, using any method, you may die or be seriously injured. You may develop rhabdomyolysis as a result of any workout, either immediately following the workout or days later. This is true whether you are experienced or not, trained or not, equipped or not. If you don’t know what rhabdomyolysis is, it is your responsibility to find out. We may not explain it to you correctly. It's a fact: lifting weights is extremely dangerous. If you don't like it, DON’T JOIN. You really shouldn't be doing this anyway. We do not provide adequate supervision or instruction. We are not responsible for, and do not inspect or maintain, the facilities. As far as we know, any of them can and will fail and cause your death. _______

There are any number of extremely and unusually dangerous conditions existing on and around the gym, and elsewhere on the property. We may or may not know about any specific hazard, but even if we do, don't expect us to try to warn you. You're on your own. First aid services are not provided by WFAC, and may not be available quickly or at all. Local rescue squads may not be equipped for or trained in gym injuries. If you are lucky enough to have somebody try to resuscitate you or treat your injuries, they may be incompetent or worse. This includes doctors and hospitals. We assume no responsibility. _______

if you decide to train at WFAC, even for a day, that's your choice. Don't do it unless you are willing to assume all risks. By joining the club, you are agreeing that we owe you no duty of care or any other duty. _______

We promise you nothing. We do not and will not even try to keep the premises safe for any purpose. The premises are not safe for any purpose. This is no joke. We won't even try to warn you about any dangerous or hazardous condition, whether we know about it or not. If we do decide to warn you about something, that doesn't mean we will try to warn you about anything else. If we do make an effort to fix an unsafe condition, we may not try to correct any others, and we may make matters worse! We and our employees or agents may do things that are unwise and dangerous. Sorry, we're not responsible. We may give you bad advice. Don't listen to us. In short, join WFAC AT YOUR OWN RISK. And don’t forget about the Rhabdo. _______

Printed Name __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Signed____________________________________________ _________ Date ____________________________
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:23 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:01 pm
For all of the Lifters on the forum...

I passed through Wichita Falls, TX early this morning. I had to stop by Mark Rippetoe's gym and get a photo.

WFAC.jpeg

For those that haven't read it, here's the waiver you have to initial and sign to squat at Rip's gym.
ALL MEMBERS/GUESTS OF WICHITA FALLS ATHLETIC CLUB MUST READ THIS!

Wichita Falls Athletic Club is populated by unstable, unsavory and unpredictable people. Dangers are everywhere. You may fall, be injured or die. There are hidden dangers. You could break your leg. We do not inspect, supervise or maintain the membership, grounds, building, equipment, lavatories or other features or equipment. _______

Real dangers are present everywhere. Treadmills are not sidewalks. They can be, and are, dangerous. Treadmill features such as reading racks, control switches, and railings can break, collapse, or otherwise fail catastrophically at any time. We don't promise to inspect, supervise or maintain them in any way. They may be negligently constructed or repaired. They are unsafe, period. Live with it or stay away. _______

Wichita Falls Athletic Club, in addition to being dangerous, is surprisingly poorly equipped for your comfort and safety. Bring your own first aid supplies, because we don’t provide them, and don’t know how to use them anyway. Barbells and other objects can fall from the racks down onto the platforms. This can happen spontaneously, or may be caused by other members or by the staff, who may be unqualified and/or stupid. Barbell plates can shift, move or fall with no warning. Use of helmets is advised for anyone approaching the squat racks. They cannot be purchased or rented at WFAC, so you’ll need to bring your own. But they won't save you, especially if you get hit by something big or on another part of your body. Don't think it can't happen. Even if you know what you're doing, lots of things can go wrong and you may be injured or die. It happens all the time. _______

The heating and cooling system can be dangerous, regardless of the thermostat setting. Be prepared with extra clothing. Hypothermia, heat stroke, lightning, hot coffee and tea, etc. can kill you. Rain can turn the parking lot into a deathtrap. _______

WFAC does not provide supervision or security personnel. The other people in the gym, including other lifters, our employees, agents, and members, and anyone else who might sneak in, may be stupid, reckless, or otherwise dangerous. They may be mentally ill, criminally insane, drunk, using illegal drugs and/or armed with deadly weapons and ready to use them. In addition, you may experience what you perceive to be sexual harassment, from other members, the owner, or members of the staff. We aren't necessarily going to do anything about it. We refuse to take responsibility. _______

If you lift weights or exercise in any way, using any method, you may die or be seriously injured. You may develop rhabdomyolysis as a result of any workout, either immediately following the workout or days later. This is true whether you are experienced or not, trained or not, equipped or not. If you don’t know what rhabdomyolysis is, it is your responsibility to find out. We may not explain it to you correctly. It's a fact: lifting weights is extremely dangerous. If you don't like it, DON’T JOIN. You really shouldn't be doing this anyway. We do not provide adequate supervision or instruction. We are not responsible for, and do not inspect or maintain, the facilities. As far as we know, any of them can and will fail and cause your death. _______

There are any number of extremely and unusually dangerous conditions existing on and around the gym, and elsewhere on the property. We may or may not know about any specific hazard, but even if we do, don't expect us to try to warn you. You're on your own. First aid services are not provided by WFAC, and may not be available quickly or at all. Local rescue squads may not be equipped for or trained in gym injuries. If you are lucky enough to have somebody try to resuscitate you or treat your injuries, they may be incompetent or worse. This includes doctors and hospitals. We assume no responsibility. _______

if you decide to train at WFAC, even for a day, that's your choice. Don't do it unless you are willing to assume all risks. By joining the club, you are agreeing that we owe you no duty of care or any other duty. _______

We promise you nothing. We do not and will not even try to keep the premises safe for any purpose. The premises are not safe for any purpose. This is no joke. We won't even try to warn you about any dangerous or hazardous condition, whether we know about it or not. If we do decide to warn you about something, that doesn't mean we will try to warn you about anything else. If we do make an effort to fix an unsafe condition, we may not try to correct any others, and we may make matters worse! We and our employees or agents may do things that are unwise and dangerous. Sorry, we're not responsible. We may give you bad advice. Don't listen to us. In short, join WFAC AT YOUR OWN RISK. And don’t forget about the Rhabdo. _______

Printed Name __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Signed____________________________________________ _________ Date ____________________________
From having twice read his Starting Strength book the above is NOT what I'd have expected to read!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:23 pm

From having twice read his Starting Strength book the above is NOT what I'd have expected to read!

Vinny
It's okay, Vinny. We know your sarcasm meter is broken. I don't have an ear for music. It's all good.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:29 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:23 pm

Vinny
It's okay, Vinny. We know your sarcasm meter is broken. I don't have an ear for music. It's all good.
Not real??!!! It is linked to their web site?!!

http://www.wfac-gym.com/files/wfac_wav.pdf

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Not real??!!! It is linked to their web site?!!

http://www.wfac-gym.com/files/wfac_wav.pdf

Vinny
It's real. I must have misunderstood the confusion.

What is the disconnect that you found?

And for reference, Rip is a card carrying small 'L' libertarian, weight lifter, Texan, horseman, sharp shooter, motorcyclist, rancher, trumpet player and bourbon aficionado.

I've met him a few times. He is the real deal.

What were you expecting?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:39 pm

That is a fantastic waiver.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 pm
Xan wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:39 pm
That is a fantastic waiver.
Yes, it is. But it would never hold up in court; it's pure satire.
Do any of those things really do much anyway?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Here is some irony for you :D

For the top end of town (note: CBA is Commonwealth Bank of Australia)
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/1 ... ary-by-70/

For the bottom end of town (Chemist more than 5Km from their house)
https://www.rebelnews.com/australian_fa ... e=therebel

https://www.rebelnews.com/homeless_man_ ... in_his_car

Edit: Wait, there's more (no steak knives) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLjiVD3 ... e=emb_logo
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm in Golden Colorado for the rest of the week.

What a beautiful town.

The mask culture is fierce here. I visited Buffalo Bill’s grave today. I don’t think he would have fit in well in today’s Colorado.

The town has a sweet smell of hops wherever you walk, so I thought there must be a ton of microbreweries around. Nope, just one macro brewery.

GO5.jpeg
GO5.jpeg (305.04 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
GO4.jpeg
GO4.jpeg (4.22 MiB) Viewed 3924 times
GO3.jpeg
GO3.jpeg (468.86 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
GO2.jpeg
GO2.jpeg (231.69 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
GO1.jpeg
GO1.jpeg (141.78 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
GO0.jpeg
GO0.jpeg (173.14 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 am

Magnificent photos Mark,

Feel free to post more anytime :)
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:03 am

After managing 2 rentals for 15 years, that no attachments lifestyle is starting to look....maybe justifiable
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Mark, do you mostly use AirBnB?
At how many weeks or months duration does a booking become impractical and hard to get?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm
At how many weeks or months duration does a booking become impractical and hard to get?
I use hotels if I'm only going to be somewhere for a day or three. Much more than that and I usually use AirBnB. I don't book more than a month anywhere, but sometimes I've extended a month. A lot of AirBnB's have decent discounts if you stay 4 weeks or more, so a month stay can be attractive if I don't have to be anywhere else. Much longer than that and I'm itching to go.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm
I use hotels if I'm only going to be somewhere for a day or three. Much more than that and I usually use AirBnB. I don't book more than a month anywhere, but sometimes I've extended a month. A lot of AirBnB's have decent discounts if you stay 4 weeks or more, so a month stay can be attractive if I don't have to be anywhere else. Much longer than that and I'm itching to go.
Thanks Mark. Wife and I are talking about having a winter home and then using AirBnB for long term summer stays near family. I have no idea how impractical that might be. We'd store some belongings nearby, but I think it's going to be a crapshoot to find a suitable place to spend a month or three.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks Mark. Wife and I are talking about having a winter home and then using AirBnB for long term summer stays near family. I have no idea how impractical that might be. We'd store some belongings nearby, but I think it's going to be a crapshoot to find a suitable place to spend a month or three.
Super practical. Very easy to rent for 3 months at a time if you want to. Try some shorter rentals first so that you know how the system works and you can get a feel for how to suss out a good rental.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 pm

One reason I'm considering buying/renting an apartment-style living situation is to take advantage of 1-3 month AirBNBs without having to worry about mowing the lawn or anything like that.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:02 pm

or feral cats.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:20 pm

On twitter
Hollywood Reporter:
Jussie Smollett is preparing his feature directorial debut http://thr.cm/P7BpnMr
@MsMelChen:
But he did just a poor job with his first directorial debut...
Hope he doesn’t beat himself up if it fails this time
O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:02 pm
or feral cats.
Ugh, yea.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 pm
One reason I'm considering buying/renting an apartment-style living situation is to take advantage of 1-3 month AirBNBs without having to worry about mowing the lawn or anything like that.
Yes, that's aggravating us now. It's surmountable but it's extra hassle, for sure.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm

I am going to Starbucks today and spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte.

Try and stop me.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm
I am going to Starbucks today and spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte.

Try and stop me.
I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm actually a fan of various "little luxuries" like that, provided they're not so frequent that they break the bank.

I think about it in terms of the "80/20 rule" -- 80% of your monthly expenses come from 20% of your transactions. If you control costs on that top 20% (things like mortgage/rent and transportation), you can afford the occasional splurge in the other 80% without being a financial mess.
Nice numerical rule. I'll be making a note of that one!