Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:25 pm
Thank you for the insights.

I am (was?) at a crossroads about going further and taking multivariable calculus. The previous math courses are still fresh in my head. I actually really enjoy math, and I'm fascinated to learn more.

However, everyone I've talked to that actually works in industry has been telling me that doing more math will be of minimal benefit in the real world. Further, instead of using my remaining credit hours on math I could take more programming which seems to be more beneficial. The amount of time math takes to really absorb is also weighing on my mind.

I'm strongly leaning towards focusing purely on programming courses for my last couple of semesters instead of taking tangentially related courses like math.
Ancient history comment: Try something like Advanced Applied Math. Applied to what was what I discovered. It was full of triple integrals and dell dots and dell crosses. Useless except for the three math credits I needed. ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
I'm strongly leaning towards focusing purely on programming courses for my last couple of semesters instead of taking tangentially related courses like math.
You're a smart dude, Smith. I think you're on the right track. You probably don't need any more calculus for what you want to do. If you did, I imagine you could pick up what you wanted to in a heartbeat. If you absolutely wanted to take more math that you will use in engineering and programming, I always like to see linear algebra and statistics. Unfortunately, I've never seen any of them taught well, so it is hard to recommend them.

I don't know how you give someone an intuitive sense of what is happening with matrix transformations, linear equations, distributions, probabilities and sparse solutions, but whatever the hell they teach in school doesn't do it. But once you get it in your head, you feel like Neo seeing through the matrix. And you can name your price as an engineer. It will get used.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:40 pm

If you know what's going on with Excel formulas, then you're good to go.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm

If you're going to work in the financial sector which the vast majority of programmers do, it's all about simple number crunching and it's true that you don't need anything but basic math plus boolean algebra to be successful. I'm a good example of that myself.

If you're going to apply to NASA, Rocket X, Pixar, etc, more advanced kinds of math might look a lot better on your resume.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 am
Thanks, guys. I was talking with some hiring managers and people currently working in industry doing software engineering. They all said the same thing.

"You will never use calculus." ::)
I can’t recall having to use calculus in my 50+ years of software development.
After I'd completed the equivalent of four semesters of calculus the one and only other time I'd ever encountered it again was when it was used in a next semester's statistics class.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I don't recall ever using linear algebra or statistics in programming either. The best math course I ever took for that was Discrete Math, which you've probably already taken.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thank you for the insights.

I am (was?) at a crossroads about going further and taking multivariable calculus. The previous math courses are still fresh in my head. I actually really enjoy math, and I'm fascinated to learn more.

However, everyone I've talked to that actually works in industry has been telling me that doing more math will be of minimal benefit in the real world. Further, instead of using my remaining credit hours on math I could take more programming which seems to be more beneficial. The amount of time math takes to really absorb is also weighing on my mind.

Ancient history comment: Try something like Advanced Applied Math. Applied to what was what I discovered. It was full of triple integrals and dell dots and dell crosses. Useless except for the three math credits I needed. ;D ;D ;D
I started out as a math major in college. I came in with seven credits from high school advanced placement calculus. Got A's in Calculus 3 & 4 freshmen years. Absolutely ate up all the formulas involved in 4 - differential equations.

But then got totally sunk by Advanced Calculus (dropped it -- all theoretical and proofs) and Modern Algebraic Theories (I either got a C or a D. What had happened to all my beloved numbers??!! All I was seeing for numbers were the problem numbers!)

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:00 pm

When I was in my 20's I ran across an old copy of this book at a yard sale. I spent several years working my way through it. Best damn education for the dollar I've ever seen.
General Electric A Course.png
General Electric A Course.png (708.03 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

Well, that and old British Navy book on celestial navigation.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:02 pm
Ah, almost forgot to check back in about this! You know that math class I was doing all that belly aching about a while back? I got an A+ in it. 8)
Congratulations, Mr. Smith! A well-deserved victory.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm
If you're going to work in the financial sector which the vast majority of programmers do, it's all about simple number crunching and it's true that you don't need anything but basic math plus boolean algebra to be successful. I'm a good example of that myself.

If you're going to apply to NASA, Rocket X, Pixar, etc, more advanced kinds of math might look a lot better on your resume.
In other words, if you want to do cool stuff, take math.

If finance / business software, meh.

:)

I work in IT. Not in above "cool" stuff. :)

And yeah, cool stuff that doesn't take advanced math, but can be a differentiator on a resume at least early on.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Thank you too for the kind words Tortoise!

Yeah, I'm resolved on the situation. Only computer science/programming courses for the rest of my credential. If I decide to do more formal education later on (we'll cross that bridge when we get to it), I can always pick back up where I left off.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:45 pm

Smith, remember us when you’re working your way up at Intuit or creating your own new hip startup.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:54 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Smith, remember us when you’re working your way up at Intuit or creating your own new hip startup.
If I work at Intuit I'll probably end up getting fired for being "that guy that's always talking about his 'pee pee'" lol.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:54 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:45 pm
If I work at Intuit I'll probably end up getting fired for being "that guy that's always talking about his 'pee pee'" lol.
You should call it your smithereen. With careful context-clue management... they'll never know
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:13 pm

You should call it your smithereen. With careful context-clue management... they'll never know
"Blow my smithereen."

"Don't you mean 'blown to smithereens'?"

"No."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:19 pm

So my home internet has been down for about a week and I've been tethering off my phone for an internet connection. I have an LTE speed data cap of 8GB and I get throttled down to 3G for anything past that. So, basically, I've been living in the year 2008 for the past couple days.

I'm currently sitting in a Starbucks and I think I'm going to hermit here as long as I can lol. Sitting at home trying to access the internet via 3G has been like seeing the world by looking through a straw. Ironically, I think the limited connectivity was making me more productive. Without access to YouTube and Netflix I pretty much had to work and study.

With Starbucks only offering half its normal seating I feel like I'm in prime real estate. I just hope I don't have to pee soon....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 pm

No Tim Hortons? What kind of Canadian goes to Starbucks? O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 pm
No Tim Hortons? What kind of Canadian goes to Starbucks? O0
The pretentious kind. ;D
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:19 pm
So my home internet has been down for about a week and I've been tethering off my phone for an internet connection. I have an LTE speed data cap of 8GB and I get throttled down to 3G for anything past that. So, basically, I've been living in the year 2008 for the past couple days.
You're living the charmed life! When I first moved to Seattle I was unemployed, and used my phone (with 2G) via tether as my internet access for 9 months, until I found a job. Ironically...that was in 2008! O0

It is amazing how much of our time revolves around internet access these days. As you say, it's probably a good thing to get a reminder of and break from, so you can focus on other things.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:48 pm

I've lived... yeesh, over 7 years of my adult life without home internet. You spend less time fucking around on it, that's for sure.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:48 pm
I've lived... yeesh, over 7 years of my adult life without home internet. You spend less time fucking around on it, that's for sure.
Sheeeeeeesh you youngsters. I made it fo 50 years w/o Al Gore’s invention. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 pm

I have to pee... guess I'm going home. :D

(Starbucks has closed their bathrooms.)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Just be glad you’re young. You got a lot more work done than an oldster would have. ;)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Just be glad you’re young. You got a lot more work done than an oldster would have. ;)
lol!! I really should have known better than to order that huge coffee.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:11 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

lol!! I really should have known better than to order that huge coffee.
Just think of it as kidney stone prevention. Now go have a couple of beer chasers and you will be good to go - again! ;D