Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by l82start » Fri May 15, 2020 8:19 am

l82start wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:31 am
some of these restrictions are starting to seem more like a test run for totalitarian rule than common sense health precautions, eerie similarity to the kind of economic destruction and personal freedom limitations the globalist green deal is asking for..
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ccess.html

oh no i have quoted my self >:D
"Ghislaine Maxwell didn't kill herself"

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat May 16, 2020 8:36 am

Anyone up for a good chuckle today? :)

https://www.thefarside.com

Or, if you can't remember what a fast lane is due to staying home (Hey Vinny, I'm looking at you, 8 weeks! Wow - O0 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWzStRLTD0
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Today is absolutely a reading day. No typical work of sitting in front of the computer doing coding or hunched over a bunch of math.

Just going to sit in bed and read. I've got the Walter Isaacson biography of Benjamin Franklin along with a steaming cup of coffee. Lily is on my lap and I can hear rain outside. life is good!
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm
Today is absolutely a reading day. No typical work of sitting in front of the computer doing coding or hunched over a bunch of math.

Just going to sit in bed and read. I've got the Walter Isaacson biography of Benjamin Franklin along with a steaming cup of coffee. Lily is on my lap and I can hear rain outside. life is good!
Nice. For me, it’s ‘The World Without Us’ by Alan Weisman.
2007, but very post-pandemic.
RIP Charlie Daniels
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat May 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:36 am
Anyone up for a good chuckle today? :)

https://www.thefarside.com

Or, if you can't remember what a fast lane is due to staying home (Hey Vinny, I'm looking at you, 8 weeks! Wow - O0 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWzStRLTD0
I broke many of my "have not in 8 week and four days" today!

I'd love to give a full a report as it was quite the adventure. Maybe tomorrow.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Here in western Massachusetts last night was the grand thunderstorm while today was one of the grandest spring days we've had so far...we've otherwise been having an extended winter.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat May 16, 2020 8:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Nice. For me, it’s ‘The World Without Us’ by Alan Weisman.
2007, but very post-pandemic.
For me, over the last few weeks I'd been either reading a book a day or taking two days to read the book.

But this one is not going that fast:

Learning from the Germans: Race and the Memory of Evil
https://smile.amazon.com/Learning-from- ... l_huc_item

An A+ book.

I'm learning so much from it. It's one of those books that while I'm reading it I tell myself that as soon as you finish reading it you need to immediately reread it to catch all the things you missed the first time around.

Here is a question for everyone. Immigrants have to pass a 100 question multiple choice test to gain U.S. citizenship. All but one question have only one correct answer. This one has three acceptable answers! What is that question?

I can give hints or answer Yes or No questions.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm

From the book, I wanted to share Franklin's Virtues that he wrote down and aimed to live his life by.

• Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  • Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
  • Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

He, by his own admission, did not always succeed in living up to his own aspirations.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

My "background movie" that I have on while working lately has consistently been The Two Towers from The Lord of the Rings series.

The Helm's Deep battle scene is incomparably epic!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 am

Dualstow's recent avatar motivated me to watch Gladiator again tonight.

Holy shit I forgot how awesome this movie is. I just got to the part where Commodus discovers that the unnamed gladiator is actually Maximus. Such a great scene.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm
From the book, I wanted to share Franklin's Virtues that he wrote down and aimed to live his life by.

• Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  • Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
  • Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

He, by his own admission, did not always succeed in living up to his own aspirations.
Franklin, in addition to being an incorrigible womanizer and glorious hedonist, also had some good things to say about productivity that may be apropos to the productivity thread you started. I've always liked this outline, and generally have tried to hang any productivity system on its framework. You just need to add Tech's passion for the project and Franklin's debauchery and you have a perfect system.
schedule.jpg
schedule.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 pm

I'm leaving Prescott, AZ tomorrow morning. I have some errands to run in CA - for which I will dash in and out as quickly as possible.

There's a lot of good things about living in a cowboy gold rush town.

Nary a mask in sight.

A placer creek right below my cabin. I'm sure it's full of nuggets. Haven't stumbled on any yet, though.
LynxCreek.jpeg
LynxCreek.jpeg (303.83 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Prime rib and an old rye.
Prime.jpeg
Prime.jpeg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Bartender with open carry. 2 belt knives, a cross draw revolver and corset. All loaded and operational.
OpenCarry.jpeg
OpenCarry.jpeg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 208 times
A strong foundation in science.
FlatEarth.jpeg
FlatEarth.jpeg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 208 times