Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by WiseOne »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:28 am
dualstow wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am I would totally join the Borg for an Ambien tonight.
Not a fan of Ambien. If you must take something, I prefer Temazepam. But all of those things can be habit forming. You will probably be exhausted and not need anything, but if you are still feeling edgy, drink half a shot of bourbon, scotch, or cognac an hour before bedtime*.

*YMMV, consult your MD, etc
That helps you get to sleep, but unfortunately alcohol worsens sleep quality. you'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, or not getting enough deep sleep so you wake up tired.

I suggest melatonin from a reputable supplier and in LOW dose (0.5 mg), along with AM light therapy and a set bedtime schedule following standard sleep hygiene measures. If the problem is a circadian rhythm disturbance, this is the best way to fix it. Once your clock is set (a few days) you won't need the melatonin or light therapy.

This is also how you handle jet lag (see the website jetlagrooster for details). I tried their suggested time shift plan the last time I went to Europe for a conference, and it definitely reduced the time to adjust to the new schedule.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I used to take a product called Sleep MD religiously. It was insanely good at giving me a deep sleep. The only issue was that I had "hangover" effects leading into the next day where I wanted to continue sleeping.

Once I stopped taking that, set a bedtime, and limited coffee to before noon, I found I didn't need it anymore.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Even one drink is enough to disrupt sleep, but of course that's an effect measured in a population (look up the study if you like, it's on pubmed). Your individual response may be different - but other people (me for example) may not tolerate the amount you can. You're a medical professional so you know the drill on that!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

One drink is more than enough to torpedo sleep for me. Then again, I'm asian and my alcohol tolerance is incredibly low. I'm buzzed after one drink, drunk after two, and smashed after three.
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

A girl on bike coughed right as she breezed by me. I am not pleased.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Girl-down-the-street and I broke up today. It seems an old flame rekindled on her end... the father of her kid -- so it's not like I can even be mad about it.

Sigh... :'( :-\ :(
DITM
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Houston / Harris County has "only" 93 total deaths, none today. We seem to have peaked April 10. Case county (in a low testing rate area) is 5729. I think we dodged a bullet. Louisiana has 500+ fatalities. Our advantage is no one comes here for tourism. Seriously. This is the Tourism Virus.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 pm Girl-down-the-street and I broke up today. It seems an old flame rekindled on her end... the father of her kid -- so it's not like I can even be mad about it.

You will survive. The main thing is to think about what you learned from the experience; and to remember that as you go forward. Best wishes. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Ugh, the post-breakup feeling is the worst. At least before the pandemic I could go to a bar. Now I'm stuck at home...

Thanks for the kind words though. Just moping around at home now. Not really sure what to do with myself.
DITM
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 pm Girl-down-the-street and I broke up today. It seems an old flame rekindled on her end... the father of her kid -- so it's not like I can even be mad about it.

You probably don't understand this now but you just dodged a bullet.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:47 pm Ugh, the post-breakup feeling is the worst. At least before the pandemic I could go to a bar. Now I'm stuck at home...

Thanks for the kind words though. Just moping around at home now. Not really sure what to do with myself.
How about brushing up on your C++? ;)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Sorry to hear that, but at the same time...it's like the proverb about the man who was unlucky at first glance but wise enough to say "Who knows what is lucky, and what is not?". And it turned out that after all was said and done, he was lucky after all.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear that, but at the same time...it's like the proverb about the man who was unlucky at first glance but wise enough to say "Who knows what is lucky, and what is not?". And it turned out that after all was said and done, he was lucky after all.
And, as the only thing I can remember one cousin saying (about 55 years or so ago): "I'd rather for the rest of my life wish for something I did not have than wish for the rest of my life that I didn't have something I do have!" He made that comment in the context of relationships.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Thank you again all of you for chiming in. It's definitely a trying time for me. I'm suddenly feeling very lonely. It's not like I can even visit a friend right now to get some company. That's what really sucks. No more bike rides or walks with her. What do I do?

I might just zone out for the rest of the evening by diving into video games.

Tech, my intellect says you are 100% on the money, but my heart says "Nah man, you should just go and cry."

31 and watching all my friends be in multi-year enriching relationships and getting married. I can't even get a girl to hang around for 2 months. I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me.

WiseOne, I really hope this does turn out to be good luck...!
DITM
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Smith, here's a link to the story if you want to read it. Very comforting in situations like this:

https://secularbuddhism.com/who-knows-w ... at-is-bad/

Read that and then dive headfirst into a really good video game. The kind that is more about engaging your imagination than entertaining with eye candy. I know you're all thinking - what? Me play video games? You bet - sometimes they are exactly what you need. Take out your angst on the monsters.

If you're looking for one, try the Avernum series from Spiderweb software. Super entertaining. My niece & brother in law turned me on to them, and we've been playing that series for years.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 pm Thank you again all of you for chiming in. It's definitely a trying time for me. I'm suddenly feeling very lonely. It's not like I can even visit a friend right now to get some company. That's what really sucks. No more bike rides or walks with her. What do I do?
Even with the quarantine, you can take a trip to Palmdale. Am I right or what?! Gimme a high fi... elbow bump. For safety.
I might just zone out for the rest of the evening by diving into video games.
That's a good idea too; get Civ VI.
31 and watching all my friends be in multi-year enriching relationships and getting married. I can't even get a girl to hang around for 2 months. I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me.
Don't worry about it bro. Just find things you enjoy and keep improving yourself.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

This may sound trite, but concentrate on what you can do to help others worse off than you , there really are a lot out there. It will help take your mind off your self and help others at the same time. You probably have way more to offer than you realize.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Sorry to hear it, buddy.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Thanks for the story link, WiseOne. That was actually really powerful. I feel like the past year of my life has really been a reflection of its principle. It's a great perspective, and I'll try my best to keep it in mind through what are bound to be tough days ahead. Again, it's not that I haven't been through breaks ups, it's just being alone that is really getting to me. Going through a breakup during mandated social-isolation is not an outcome I anticipated.

It's only setting in now how much I actually really cared about this girl and that I will really miss her. :'(

I appreciate the levity, Kriegs. I'm thinking of just going crazy on the playstation store and getting a bunch of whatever I want. Full priced or not. Whatever.

As for improving myself or brushing up on C++... well, my productivity since this afternoon has been totally shot. I tried to do some database shit in Rails, and my mind was so distracted I just had error after error. I can "feel" that my mind isn't really in a place of peace that it needs to be for real productivity. I will try my best.

Here's hoping the next one is "the one."
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 pm...
I can't even get a girl to hang around for 2 months.
The fact that you were able to go out with a girl during the plague is pretty impressive as far as I’m concerned.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm
The fact that you were able to go out with a girl during the plague is pretty impressive as far as I’m concerned.
Hahahahahaha. That's true.

Oh man... I want a wife.
DITM
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Confucius say, "Good thing come to those who master wait."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:34 pm
dualstow wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Hahahahahaha. That's true.

Oh man... I want a wife.
A good one, not just any.

Best wishes.

Don't try to force things, as we all deal with things on our own schedule.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm

You probably don't understand this now but you just dodged a bullet.
This.

I think success in dating is 5% knowing how to find and keep a good one, and 95% knowing how to recognize and filter out all the bad ones along the way.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Took a "depression nap" after my last post and ended up just sleeping through the night.

Just now I managed to shower, brush my teeth, make coffee, and eat some of yesterday's dinner that I never ended up touching. That's much better than my previous breakups at least. I remember my last breakup I didn't eat anything for about 3 days.

Right now my mind is in the "everything I see reminds me of her" phase. The brain is so weird sometimes.
DITM