Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am

Hi all, I'm still on the bright side of the grass today and have no Wuhan Virus symptoms.
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:00 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am
Hi all, I'm still on the bright side of the grass today and have no Wuhan Virus symptoms.
This is day 12 for me wherein there is only been one day in the last 12 where I've even briefly been in the presence of other people. It's only the mail and newspaper that has any possibilities of infecting me. Holding up well being a part of the Super Introvert breed who loves being a "home body".

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 am

All is good in Pugville.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I don’t have any sickness or virus symptoms, but I’m definitely feeling a my-life-is-out-of-control-without-structure effect.
For the money you can't afford to lose, why would you invest it in anything other than the PP? ???
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am

Good morning Vinny, Smith and Pug; hope you are well today. I guess all the others are "RIPed" since they didn't post in this thread yesterday. ;)
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:33 am

Early on in the crisis, my wife and I both had mild colds and were worried, "What if this is it?" The mild cold lingered a bit. My wife then seemed to get something else, and I started having allergy issues. Again we thought, "Could this be it?" But no significant COVID-19 symptoms were present, and today I'm actually feeling pretty good, aside from some mild allergy-like symptoms.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:36 am

I keep having psychosomatic symptoms. If we aren't all crazy already, we surely will be by the time the quarantine is over. :P
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am

Start of day 13 of all but 1 of them (a week ago yesterday) in isolation. With no ways of infecting me no symptoms. All of this is highly conducive in living the Super Introvert lifestyle.

Vinny
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am

Well, I've had to go on some supermarket runs since this thing started. My wife actually started using Instacart shortly *before* this thing started, and used it early on in the "coronacrisis", including one final *really big* order. I think she also signed up for their annual "unlimited" plan. I wonder if they're still offering that to new customers (or, for that matter, if they're even still offering it to people who signed up for it).

More recently, I've begun wiping down the outer surfaces of all grocery items I purchase from my grocery runs with a Clorox-wipe. I do something similar for packages delivered. And I wash my hands after handling packages/mail. Hopefully a cure/vaccine/herd-immunity comes, so this doesn't have to be the "new normal" forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am
Well, I've had to go on some supermarket runs since this thing started. My wife actually started using Instacart shortly *before* this thing started, and used it early on in the "coronacrisis", including one final *really big* order. I think she also signed up for their annual "unlimited" plan. I wonder if they're still offering that to new customers (or, for that matter, if they're even still offering it to people who signed up for it).

More recently, I've begun wiping down the outer surfaces of all grocery items I purchase from my grocery runs with a Clorox-wipe. I do something similar for packages delivered. And I wash my hands after handling packages/mail. Hopefully a cure/vaccine/herd-immunity comes, so this doesn't have to be the "new normal" forever.
You give me entre to a question I had stacked up to ask here....

I'm in day 13 of being totally isolated from all human presence except for a week ago yesterday when I was at my office / eye doctor to pick up a contact lens passed to me in a package / grocery store. Therefore since the only possible opening for infection to me have been mail / newspaper.

Therefore I was thrilled to read the following in my daily newspaper from yesterday:

'....Dickson, the UMass Memorial doctor...."

""You really need to treat everyone like they're a potential carrier", Dickson said."

"The most likely way to pick up the coronavirus is by touching a surface with the virus on it, and then touching your face, Dickson said. He added that it is "extraordinary unlikely" that the virus could be transmitted through the mail."

I assume mail would also include the newspaper?

The question is would you make a decision based upon this one point of source of information (which seems to be coming from a reputable source)? Or, would you seek more to conclude that the mail and newspaper are safe.

I heard another source on C-Span say that the mail is safe as long as you wash your hands after touching it. Does that mean every time you touch it after receiving it? And you hold a newspaper to read it. That means you constantly wash your hands while reading it?

Vinny
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Vinny, I am no expert. But I'm taking as much precaution as possible. I don't get the newspaper, but I do get mail and other deliveries. For boxed deliveries, I'm generally opening/discarding the cardboard box and washing my hands. For the contents, I'm sometimes (but not always) wiping the box inside down with a Clorox wipe. Whatever's inside that box, I'm not currently doing anything, thinking that the item itself was probably put in that box well before the Coronavirus started. But who knows.

For mail, I've been opening it and trying to remember to wash my hands afterwards, but otherwise haven't done much. But who knows if that's good enough.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Vinny, I am no expert. But I'm taking as much precaution as possible. I don't get the newspaper, but I do get mail and other deliveries. For boxed deliveries, I'm generally opening/discarding the cardboard box and washing my hands. For the contents, I'm sometimes (but not always) wiping the box inside down with a Clorox wipe. Whatever's inside that box, I'm not currently doing anything, thinking that the item itself was probably put in that box well before the Coronavirus started. But who knows.

For mail, I've been opening it and trying to remember to wash my hands afterwards, but otherwise haven't done much. But who knows if that's good enough.
Everything I've read and heard that if it is on your hands and you spent 20 seconds washing, it is no longer on your hands.

Vinny