Senators Sold Stock, Sounded No Alarms

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Senators Sold Stock, Sounded No Alarms

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I flew through the Republican one, which I found here. It was long as hell, but covered a lot of different aspects of what they wanted done to fight the coronavirus and its economic damage to companies (via loans and taxes)** and people (helicopter money). They wanted to give a handout to fucking UNIVERSITIES, for fucks' sake, which I think it totally idiotic. (colleges refused to refund students for room and board and campus-related stuff which they were no longer using, or to lower tuition, or anything, really.). They're doing special things for women and minority-owned businesses, and have a weirdly long section on menstruation (yes, really), but... fuck it. Absolutely nothing indicating that Republicans were trying to sneak shit past Democrats, like making abortion illegal or requiring every citizen to buy a gun.

That one was 247 pages long. The Democrat's new one is more than 1,400 pages long. I haven't gone through it yet, I'm assuming there is more insanity than we've seen so far.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Hah, Tim Pool just put out a video on it.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am I flew through the Republican one, which I found here. It was long as hell, but covered a lot of different aspects of what they wanted done to fight the coronavirus and its economic damage to companies (via loans and taxes)** and people (helicopter money). They wanted to give a handout to fucking UNIVERSITIES, for fucks' sake, which I think it totally idiotic. (colleges refused to refund students for room and board and campus-related stuff which they were no longer using, or to lower tuition, or anything, really.). They're doing special things for women and minority-owned businesses, and have a weirdly long section on menstruation (yes, really), but... fuck it. Absolutely nothing indicating that Republicans were trying to sneak shit past Democrats, like making abortion illegal or requiring every citizen to buy a gun.

That one was 247 pages long. The Democrat's new one is more than 1,400 pages long. I haven't gone through it yet, I'm assuming there is more insanity than we've seen so far.
The story was that the "Republican" one was actually a bipartisan product with input from both sides. But when Nancy Pelosi came back from vacation she blew it up with her 1400 page monstrosity.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Yup, I hadn't gotten to that part of the Tim Pool video (he reads a lot more "news" than I do). This situation is goddamn shameful.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 am Hah, Tim Pool just put out a video on it.
Good, I was expecting one. Is there a German word for enjoying getting angry?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am Senate Democrats blocked the first coronavirus bill**. Look what they're putting in their version:

Tucker Carlson is on it.

Politics continues to disgust me.

** If anyone is aware of stupid stuff in the first one, plz post it.
I agree that while all these things may be important items now Is NOT the time to hold up on dealing with this current crisis. Another time to deal with all those other issues.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pmI agree that while all these things may be important items now Is NOT the time to hold up on dealing with this current crisis. Another time to deal with all those other issues.
If by important, you mean asinine, then yes.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am The Democrat's new one is more than 1,400 pages long. I haven't gone through it yet, I'm assuming there is more insanity than we've seen so far.
This guy found a few more of the little nuggets squirreled away in there.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Back when I was reading about this, I saw something about how within hours of this bill getting passed, the Kennedy Center started firing all their employees. I was going to post something about whether they were going to give the money back, but it seemed so perfect and I didn't see anyone else covering it, I thought it was going to turn out to be fake news. But it looks like it was real.