Know one another?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Know one another?

Post by vnatale »

Has anyone ever invited someone to join here who actually did join and participate at some point? And, if so, did you reveal to one another who you really were, i.e., your true name attached to the name you use here.

How about for the people who have actually met in person. Did you always then get to connect that person / name with the name that is shown here?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Know one another?

Post by Cortopassi »

Not sure I really understand, Vinny?

Pug and I found out we live a 1/2 mile apart and have had a beer and see each other out and about every now and then...
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:54 pm Has anyone ever invited someone to join here who actually did join and participate at some point? And, if so, did you reveal to one another who you really were, i.e., your true name attached to the name you use here.

How about for the people who have actually met in person. Did you always then get to connect that person / name with the name that is shown here?

Vinny
I literally almost did this the other night.

One of my friends on Facebook was getting very worried about the magnitude of the recent money printing in the U.S., and was getting interested in gold as a result. I introduced him to the PP and even linked him to Portfolio Charts.

I stopped just short of inviting him to this forum. I'd really like to keep those lives separates. You know, like George Costanza's Worlds Theory.

As an aside, Xan certainly has the most knowledge about the identities and locations of the people on this forum. Being the admin, he can see email addresses we've signed up with and probably IP addresses.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:42 pm Not sure I really understand, Vinny?

Pug and I found out we live a 1/2 mile apart and have had a beer and see each other out and about every now and then...
Smith 1776 understood EXACTLY what I meant so I'll invite him to use his words to ask the same question.

Next question....who else besides you and me who are active in this forum actually use our real names? I remember you giving your reasons why you do and while they are not mine I totally 100% supported all your reasons for doing so. For me, it just goes along with always signing every email with my name.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:54 pm Has anyone ever invited someone to join here who actually did join and participate at some point? And, if so, did you reveal to one another who you really were, i.e., your true name attached to the name you use here.

Vinny
I have met Pointedstick in person.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Vinny
I have met Pointedstick in person.
So you revealed to one another what your names were here. I guess the more I think about it you'd have to have already known that as the only way you and I could meet would be to first communicate here via our forum names and then, when we met, we'd, of course, reveal our true names.

There just seems to be such a high premium placed here in maintaining pseudonyms that I wondered to what extent it was carried out. If it was carried out to the extreme of never allowing others to connect a real name to those pseudonyms.

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Vinny,

Are you aware that the PP holds 25% gold and recommends that as much of it as possible be held as physical gold? And that some people (not me) elect to hold some or all of their physical gold at their home?

I think those facts right there go a long way to explaining why people don't want to use their real names. Leaving aside the gold issue, I don't even want my friends stumbling upon my posts here and getting an idea of my net worth, which despite its modesty is probably an order of magnitude higher than most people's.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Craig and I met for lunch back when we were both living in Portland, OR.
But, then, again. Neither of us are very anonymous.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 am Craig and I met for lunch back when we were both living in Portland, OR.
But, then, again. Neither of us are very anonymous.
You lucky son of a gun.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

stuper1 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:28 pm Vinny,

Are you aware that the PP holds 25% gold and recommends that as much of it as possible be held as physical gold? And that some people (not me) elect to hold some or all of their physical gold at their home?

I think those facts right there go a long way to explaining why people don't want to use their real names. Leaving aside the gold issue, I don't even want my friends stumbling upon my posts here and getting an idea of my net worth, which despite its modesty is probably an order of magnitude higher than most people's.
I am aware of all. And, I asked the question when I thought about your last paragraph and if I'd want to know certain of my friends to know certain things about me.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

The flip side to us knowing each other's identities would be that we could band together and help each other in a true apocalypse. Hell, it may come to that if this whole virus thing gets much worse.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:42 pm Pug and I found out we live a 1/2 mile apart and have had a beer and see each other out and about every now and then...
That's pretty wild.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:38 am
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:42 pm Pug and I found out we live a 1/2 mile apart and have had a beer and see each other out and about every now and then...
That's pretty wild.
If you live in a rural area like I do, 1/2 mile apart is practically next door!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

• We had a thread about how most people we tried to get interested in Harry Browne's style of investing simply weren't taken with it. They're interested in buying Tesla stock.

• I encourage curious friends to read certain investing books and I used to point them to "the other forum" years ago. I never connected with them there. I intentionally keep that stuff separate.

↳ In fact, we have neighborhood-wide emails in my neighborhood so we can warn each other that there is no garbage pickup due to a bank holiday or if some transient is dropping his pants nearby. I decided that I should use a separate email with them than I use for making comments online so I can feel free to get ranty when I want to.

• I met WiseOne in person even though we don't live near each other. We know each other's names. She is super nice. I was terrified the entire time nonetheless and was only able to enjoy the meeting in restrospect, because I am neurotic. I go out with the same friends all the time.

• When I was still on facebook, I got invites to go out with old classmates. I did it a few times and it was fine, but it's one of the reasons I left facebook. If there were school friends I wanted to hang out with, I was already hanging out with them and had never lost touch, at least by phone or email. This all sounds very antisocial but it's not, really. Separate worlds, I guess, like Smithers mentioned above.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I think after this is all over, as many of us as possible should get together in person.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am I think after this is all over, as many of us as possible should get together in person.
The now $64 trillion question is "when will this be all over"?

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am I think after this is all over, as many of us as possible should get together in person.

Vinny
I think things will be at a "new normal" sometime in the next year.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am

Vinny
"Next" year! That means at least 8+ more months!

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

This feels like it would be one of those "in a few more days sell everything" moments.

I do wish there was some help from any asset today, but nothing except cash. This will be in many history books.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 pm This feels like it would be one of those "in a few more days sell everything" moments.

I do wish there was some help from any asset today, but nothing except cash. This will be in many history books.
In a few more days? What's this then?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am

Vinny
"Next" year! That means at least 8+ more months!

Vinny
Sometime in the next year, i.e., within 12 months.
I hope.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 pm This feels like it would be one of those "in a few more days sell everything" moments.

Not the Chinese ones.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 pm

In a few more days? What's this then?
This is 10-15% down in the pp, with a shrug, we are all in the same boat but doing better than most.

A few days from now could very well be 20-30% down in the pp while everyone else is 50% down and need to see if I have the balls to continue another rebalancing.

Good thing is that I've got nowhere else to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T575Pbo4eWM
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I will be there.

Being in university and only working part time, I probably have the lowest net worth of any regular poster here.

So hopefully we can make it close-ish to Vancouver. Maybe something like Washington state?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:55 pm
I will be there.

Being in university and only working part time, I probably have the lowest net worth of any regular poster here.

So hopefully we can make it close-ish to Vancouver. Maybe something like Washington state?
We always have whatever we were using for our organization's staff meeting yesterday wherein we were all logged in via various locations. Most people had video and audio. A few of us (me being one) could only watch and listen (but not be seen or speak) since I have no camera or microphone.

Vinny