Vanguard!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vanguard!

Post by vnatale »

I just called Vanguard three times in a row and EACH time got a busy signal! Why was I not put in some form of phone line, waiting for someone to take my call?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vanguard!

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:02 am I just called Vanguard three times in a row and EACH time got a busy signal! Why was I not put in some form of phone line, waiting for someone to take my call?

Vinny
You might call and ask. ;D ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Because there are 80 million people either calling or already on hold? One hand on the cellphone, the other clutching a 24-pack of toilet paper.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:02 am I just called Vanguard three times in a row and EACH time got a busy signal! Why was I not put in some form of phone line, waiting for someone to take my call?

Vinny
Maybe they Just left the phone off the Hook.
Attachments
depositphotos_33237095-stock-photo-vintage-closed-sign.jpg
depositphotos_33237095-stock-photo-vintage-closed-sign.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

shekels wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:31 am

Vinny
Maybe they Just left the phone off the Hook.
If they throw more Liquidity at the Market and stocks Drop further, they may just Close early.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Vinny
Ever heard of online trades?
I never call Vg or Fido unless I have an issue. All transactions online. Never a queue to talk, never a busy signal. :o
Yes, but this was a MAJOR deal for me and I wanted the comfort on the other side of someone guiding me what I was doing. As it was I had the initial panic of thinking I'd mistakenly sold my retirement funds into a non-retirement account, which would have been an absolute disaster.

And with attempting to do this with nine separate Vanguard accounts (accounts, not funds) it was not the easiest thing to do as the procedure was not the same in each account. Some I had to sell and buy. Others I could do an exchange.

It seems that my special category / status with Vanguard, in the end, means nothing at times like this. I get treated the same as someone who has a $200 Simple IRA through their employer.

This experience and my experience with Vanguard setting up our organization's SIMPLE IRA with Vanguard last December has greatly tarnished Vanguard in my eyes. And, once I go Permanent Portfolio Fidelity will get half of my investment that is presently at Vanguard.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Assuming you have between $1M-$5M with Vanguard, doesn’t that mean you’re a Flagship client with access to some special services? Don’t they have a direct line you can call to bypass the unwashed masses?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:30 pm Assuming you have between $1M-$5M with Vanguard, doesn’t that mean you’re a Flagship client with access to some special services? Don’t they have a direct line you can call to bypass the unwashed masses?
They specialize, like other big companies, in making as difficult as possible to find ANY phone number to call, pushing you to instead use their online resources. And, once you do find that number it seems that it's the same number that the person with $200 in their Employer SIMPLE IRA would call.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I’ve noticed that there is much more rapid turnover of the (photo of) my Vanguard rep when I log in, lately.

When I email, it is rarely that person who answers, anyway.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:31 pm I’ve noticed that there is much more rapid turnover of the (photo of) my Vanguard rep when I log in, lately.

When I email, it is rarely that person who answers, anyway.
For awhile I had a dedicated person for me. Then within the last year they switched to a pool of dedicated people for me. I've not been impressed with anyone from that pool.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just this moment received this (in part) from Vanguard...

"As an investor, you may also be thinking about the impact of the virus on the economy and your investment accounts. We're committed to giving you easy access to your accounts as well as the support and information you need to make well-informed decisions. Our investment and trading operations continue as usual, and our crew are available to support you by phone Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time. Wait times may be longer than usual while we give every client the attention they need, so we want to make you aware of the many online account services and resources available to you during this uncertain time. Log on or register now for:"

I did not see anywhere in there where he writes: "Silly us! You may not even have the opportunity to even have a wait time because you may just immediately get a busy signal just like in the old days when you called a friend and someone at that friend's house was using their one phone line."

!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Any company that doesn't give you the option to have them call you back, instead of waiting on hold, has a 'tard-level of customer service.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:29 pm Any company that doesn't give you the option to have them call you back, instead of waiting on hold, has a 'tard-level of customer service.
You, sir, speak the truth.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:29 pm Any company that doesn't give you the option to have them call you back, instead of waiting on hold, has a 'tard-level of customer service.
And, for that to be true for a company like Vanguard, which I believe for years now holds more money than any other investment company in the world?

Yes, today, and I'm sure prior days have been extremely unusual for them on their side. However, they grossly failed a real live version of a stress test.

Vinny
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Kriegs,

I would like to hear more followup details from you regarding the failed execution of the sale of some your LTTs at Vanguard, which you wrote about recently. Did Vanguard finally execute that trade?

I am trying to sort out the differences between event-driven problems (ie., the broker capacity of Vanguard and other dealer brokers), and systemic problems (ie., potential faults in the Treasury markets).
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jhogue wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:32 am
Kriegs,

I would like to hear more followup details from you regarding the failed execution of the sale of some your LTTs at Vanguard, which you wrote about recently. Did Vanguard finally execute that trade?
No. When I logged back on, I had a message waiting for me that said that the order to sell had been cancelled due to a change in the bid price available, and if I wanted to replace the order I had to call. It never occurred to me that I'd have to check up on it to make sure they actually sold the thing I told them to sell.
I am trying to sort out the differences between event-driven problems (ie., the broker capacity of Vanguard and other dealer brokers), and systemic problems (ie., potential faults in the Treasury markets).
Good luck :P
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.