Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum Members with COVID-19

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Good point. I also have to be careful not to accidentally eat or drink something that’s gone bad. Luckily the appearance usually gives it away, but not always.

Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too. And whether an egg in a bowl of water floats or sinks.

The whole date thing is strictly a marketing gimmick to get you to throw things out that are fine so as to get you tod buy more.

I go strictly by looks and smell.

Last summer I saw a jar in my cupboard. Polaner All Fruit with Fiber - Blueberry.

Date? "Best 7/29/2012"

Last summer was eight (8) (!!!) years past that date.

I opened it and I heard a quite loud pop from the obviously still strong vacuum seal.

Looked at it. Looked fine.

Smelled it. Smelled fine.

Ate it. Tasted fine.

I went through about 40% of it in a few days last summer and then put it in the refrigerator.

Had not touched it until just now.

Opening it..it still smells good. There is a tiny spot that has some white mold on it. I'll scoop out that mold and eat the rest!

Waste not, want not!

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Yeah, stuff that has a ton of sugar (like jelly/jam), vinegar (like mustard), or both (like ketchup) seems to have almost infinite shelf life even after it's opened.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too. And whether an egg in a bowl of water floats or sinks.
The whole date thing is strictly a marketing gimmick to get you to throw things out that are fine so as to get you tod buy more.
I was unclear. I didn’t mean the date stamp. Just the time I bought something vs what day it is.
The stamp can sometimes be safely ignored, but it is not strictly a marketing gimmick. If milk has a stamp on it that has already passed, I don’t buy it in the first place. If i accidentally do, that’s on me. So in that sense, the date stamp can be useful.
With medication, I’ve read some articles say that the “expired” stuff probably isn’t going to kill you, but it also might not be that effective.

But Vinny, you just went on about smelling and tasting when the context is that Tortoise can’t frickin smell anything. :D
Unless there’s a professional food taster on call, he’s got to go by something.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Members with COVID-19

Post by Xan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
I was unclear. I didn’t mean the date stamp. Just the time I bought something vs what day it is.
The stamp can sometimes be safely ignored, but it is not strictly a marketing gimmick. If milk has a stamp on it that has already passed, I don’t buy it in the first place. If i accidentally do, that’s on me. So in that sense, the date stamp can be useful.
With medication, I’ve read some articles say that the “expired” stuff probably isn’t going to kill you, but it also might not be that effective.

But Vinny, you just yammered on about smelling and tasting when the context is that Tortoise can’t frickin smell anything. :D
I understand that liquid medication (kids' ibuprofen/benadryl, maybe neosporin?) really does decay in effectiveness pretty quickly. But stuff in a pill lasts pretty much forever.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too.
At first glance I thought this was a reference to the “bad dates” scene from the first Indiana Jones movie!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 pm

barrett wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too.
At first glance I thought this was a reference to the “bad dates” scene from the first Indiana Jones movie!
The fact that he meant calendar dates didn't even occur to me. I think my brain is malfunctioning.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

😂 Great movie scene. I’ve never watched the sequels. I’m a purist.

Btw, once I was at a grocery store and the checkout girl asked, “What do you do for dates?” I blushed and was going to say “flowers and dinner?” when i realized there was a box of chopped dates among my items. it was the preposition ‘for’ that threw me off.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm

vnatale wrote:

dualstow wrote:

But Vinny, you just went on about smelling and tasting when the context is that Tortoise can’t frickin smell anything. :D

I definitely understood the context. However, there are some people who can smell but who slavishly obey those dates and throw out perfectly good food.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Yeah, stuff that has a ton of sugar (like jelly/jam), vinegar (like mustard), or both (like ketchup) seems to have almost infinite shelf life even after it's opened.

Last spring I stocked up on mustard. I was fairly shocked to see that it had an expiration date of less than a year as I had the same thoughts as you. Also, that jar that I opened had no sugar in it. Just fruit and fruit juices.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 pm

I moved Vinny the accountant's sheet story to its own thread,
accountant's blotter

but inadvertently took a few extra posts with it. They're just about smell and taste. I'll try to get them back. Done.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 am

So we got the antibody test results back today .

I was positive at 8.4 and my wife 7.8.

There really is no explanation of what the numbers mean anywhere ....on the other hand the doctor said the number really does not mean much at all ...he said it really should be just negative , positive or not detectable
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 pm

What is that, like a B+?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 pm

On my SARS-COV-2 test, I found out my oxygen saturation is at the HIGH END OF NORMAL. Which is a pretty big deal. My temperature was also slightly elevated in a very healthy way.

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:01 am

We started to see the bills rolling in for the hospitalization my wife and I had from covid .

I was in 13 days ,she was in 9 with two emergency room visits since they sent her home the flrst time .

The Medicare part A portion, which does not include doctors yet as they fall under. Part B , so far is close to a quarter million dollars for the two of us ....our share is 10.26 ...

It seems even though we have Medicare and a high deductible F plan supplement the 2500.00 deductibles do not apply on part A charges
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Quick update (day 17):

The past couple of days, I've started to just barely be able to smell certain things like lemon and soap. But it's really subtle (< 10%), plus it's more of a "flat" or "hollow" version of the smell (if that makes any sense).

And a few days ago I just barely started being able taste chocolate again (< 10%), but it's really subtle. Zero taste otherwise.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Good , glad things are improving...we had no issues with smell or taste ...just fatigue and sleep , not counting breathing is still far away from what it was pre as far as cardio ability
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:01 am
We started to see the bills rolling in for the hospitalization my wife and I had from covid .

I was in 13 days ,she was in 9 with two emergency room visits since they sent her home the flrst time .

The Medicare part A portion, which does not include doctors yet as they fall under. Part B , so far is close to a quarter million dollars for the two of us ....our share is 10.26 ...

It seems even though we have Medicare and a high deductible F plan supplement the 2500.00 deductibles do not apply on part A charges

OMFG but what does your share is 10.26 mean?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:17 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm

mathjak107 wrote:

I believe it means that from nearly a $250,000 bill he and his wife only have to pay $10.26.

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:17 pm
pp4me wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

I believe it means that from nearly a $250,000 bill he and his wife only have to pay $10.26.
If true it sounds like Part A, which is free, is great. I've been enrolled for 6 years now but never used it since I'm on my wife's plan (plus never having been in the hospital ever).

Now for the Part B/F part. Should be interesting. Keep us informed mathjak.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

mathjak107 wrote:

If true it sounds like Part A, which is a free, is great. I've been enrolled for 6 years now but never used it since I'm on my wife's plan.

If my memory is correct mathjak also has a Medigap policy. I also have one and chose the most expensive one. That leaves never having to pay for anything medical (aside from a drug prescription).

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

If true it sounds like Part A, which is a free, is great. I've been enrolled for 6 years now but never used it since I'm on my wife's plan.

If my memory is correct mathjak also has a Medigap policy. I also have one and chose the most expensive one. That leaves never having to pay for anything medical (aside from a drug prescription).
Assumed that was the high deductible part F he talked about.

Haven't had to navigate through any of the Medicaire stuff so far because my wife is still working and has a very good plan but I know my time is coming.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Quick update (day 17):

The past couple of days, I've started to just barely be able to smell certain things like lemon and soap. But it's really subtle (< 10%), plus it's more of a "flat" or "hollow" version of the smell (if that makes any sense).

And a few days ago I just barely started being able taste chocolate again (< 10%), but it's really subtle. Zero taste otherwise.
Good news! I guess. Hopefully that will all come back soon...but sorry you had to deal with that.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm

re Medicare insurance...from what I know about it, Medigap policies are more expensive in terms of premiums, but they will protect you from surprise billing.

Medicare Advantage plans on the other hand, are attractive to people because they save on premiums, but they expose you to out of network billing traps. For the elderly especially nearing the end of life, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

So my personal rule is: avoid advantage plans like the plague. If I got that right.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:39 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm
re Medicare insurance...from what I know about it, Medigap policies are more expensive in terms of premiums, but they will protect you from surprise billing.

Medicare Advantage plans on the other hand, are attractive to people because they save on premiums, but they expose you to out of network billing traps. For the elderly especially nearing the end of life, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

So my personal rule is: avoid advantage plans like the plague. If I got that right.
I agree ... I never want a for profit insurance company as my gate keeper via an advantage plan .

.I only want not for profit Medicare calling the shots .... I love Medicare and our high deductible f-plan

All copays , deductibles and out of pockets have been waived by our supplement company Humana for covid related bills ...they even covered the 1400 Medicare deductible for hospital stays when normally they wouldn’t have since we were no where our 2400 deductible
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

As far as advantage plan or Medicare and medigap

You need to evaluate these four criteria -
your health
your need/desire for doctor/provider flexibility
your ability to pay Medigap (and Part D) premiums
carrier reliability (especially true for Advantage and some Part D plans)
If you have a lot of chronic health issues or foresee serious issues - and can afford it - then a Medigap G or F - provides the most flexible, worry-free, and trouble-free choice. You can see any provider anywhere in the country who accepts Medicare, no gatekeepers on treatment approval, no provider networks. Bills go to Medicare and your Medigap.

Generally, with a Medigap F/G, your Medicare-approved expenses will be paid 100%. For the most part, medical expenses are pretty much limited to Medigap premium (and Part D premium and copays if you take medication).

There are less expensive (premium) cost-sharing Medigap plans available, as well, but often these prove to be a false economy when managing chronic illness or worse. Copays and hospital deductibles can eat up any premium savings in short order.

If you are reasonably healthy and can afford some premium and the very low 20% not paid by Medicare the few times you doctor - then a high-deductible Medigap F, which, again, provides the most provider flexibility and caps your annual max out-of-pocket (your 20%) at $2,480 worst case scenario, all at one-half to one-third the cost of a regular Medigap F. Bills go to Medicare and your Medigap plan

If you are cost-conscious, then an Advantage (aka Medicare health plan) (if you're healthy - or, even if you're sick - depending on plan) can be an appropriate choice, as it bundles docs and drugs, for a low or zero premium. Pay close attention to:
copays and max out-of-pockets, especially if you're sick or anticipate health issues.
restricted networks - an issue if you need specialty care or if you travel a lot.
drug formulary (tiers and copays).
For the chronically ill, annual Advantage copays could exceed twice the cost of a Medigap F, as max out-of-pockets can be set at $5-$7k, or more.

If you travel a lot or snowbird, unless it is a PPO with out-of-network coverage, Advantage is not an appropriate choice.

If you choose Advantage, know that you are divorcing yourself from Medicare and putting the decisions for treatments, benefits, and payment in the hands of the PRIVATE (this means for-profit) Advantage insurer. Some are good actors, others are not. Common bad behaviors by MA's are denials of mandated Medicare benefits, onerous oversight on long-term therapies and preapprovals, etc., slow pays, denials they've received the provider claims, customer-service run-around, and more.

Check with network providers and providers' billing people on ease of use, timely payment, preapprovals, insistence on use of generic drugs, verify with the provider that provider is, in fact, in that network - insurance reps and websites often are wrong - and talk to people you know who have the same plan.

Unless you are in a guaranteed issue state, know that once past the Initial Open Enrollment, you will not be able to switch to a Medigap without undergoing health underwriting, although you can move from one Advantage plan to another Advantage plan during Annual Open Enrollment.

So, choose carefully, because there may not be a do-over if you decide later you prefer a Medigap.