Forum Members with COVID-19

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum Members with COVID-19

Post by Benko »

I doubt anyone is sure, but don’t take NDAIDS eg Advil, Naproxen, etc as I saw at least one article suggesting it may worsen things. Don’t remember details.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Benko wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:05 pm I doubt anyone is sure, but don’t take NDAIDS eg Advil, Naproxen, etc as I saw at least one article suggesting it may worsen things. Don’t remember details.
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/03/1 ... -covid-19/

And yeah, I have had a dry cough and phantom scratchy throat for 2 weeks now. Hypochondriac I have become.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

^^From Corto's link above^^
In short, Vitamin C can help prevent respiratory infections.
Aha, you see, Vinny? :D
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Ad, if you have a fever you could definitely have COVID - that sounds exactly like it, per our medical briefings. You're doing the right thing just staying home. And in this AM's briefing we were cautioned against using ibuprofen (similar to naproxen) but no info on why that would be. Fear of Reye syndrome maybe. See if Tylenol works for you? A personal steamer could help also.

Can you order groceries online? Amazon Fresh, Peapod, Fresh Direct? Or just phone your local grocery to see if they'd deliver to you given your situation?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I haven't left the house since Monday...

I am so glad I'm stocked up on vitamin D supplements.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

WiseOne wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm Ad, if you have a fever you could definitely have COVID - that sounds exactly like it, per our medical briefings. You're doing the right thing just staying home. And in this AM's briefing we were cautioned against using ibuprofen (similar to naproxen) but no info on why that would be. Fear of Reye syndrome maybe. See if Tylenol works for you? A personal steamer could help also.

Can you order groceries online? Amazon Fresh, Peapod, Fresh Direct? Or just phone your local grocery to see if they'd deliver to you given your situation?
I don't know if I'd call it a fever. Just the occasional episode of feeling very hot and achy. Usually when I have a fever I feel chilled. But it tends to fade with a few hours of sleep and some OTC pain/fever reducer. I will see if I can get some Tylenol.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

For what it's worth, this contradicts the Malcom Kendrick link above that advises against. NSAIDS.
Who knows? I don't know. 🤷‍♂️
However, scientific evidence does not indicate that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) consumption puts patients who otherwise might have mild or asymptomatic infection by severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)—the virus that causes COVID-19—at risk of more severe disease. People taking NSAIDs for other reasons should not stop doing so for fear of increasing their COVID-19 risk.
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abb8034
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

The achy blahs are back. Mom is not feeling well either. Time for a nap.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:56 pm I haven't left the house since Monday...

Stay in as much as possible.

But you might want to stock up on cannabis. It is an anti-inflammatory and is effective in some respects against a cytokine storm, which apparently causes at least some of the covid-19 deaths.

See my other thread about this issue.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm The achy blahs are back. Mom is not feeling well either. Time for a nap.
If you're achy, doesn't that denote the flu, not the Wuhan? I got laid low by that stuff earlier this year when it swept through my office, it was a pretty bad year for the flu.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 am
Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm The achy blahs are back. Mom is not feeling well either. Time for a nap.
If you're achy, doesn't that denote the flu, not the Wuhan? I got laid low by that stuff earlier this year when it swept through my office, it was a pretty bad year for the flu.
Aches are also a symptom of the Wuhan virus.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 am
The pestilence mimics the flu in milder cases. This has been on again off again for more than a week where the flu typically comes... and goes, usually over a few days.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Well shit, I might have already had it then!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:37 am
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:56 pm I haven't left the house since Monday...

Stay in as much as possible.

But you might want to stock up on cannabis. It is an anti-inflammatory and is effective in some respects against a cytokine storm, which apparently causes at least some of the covid-19 deaths.

See my other thread about this issue.
Anti-inflammatory lifestyle is REALLY important. I would strongly suggest strictly avoiding sugar and grains (especially wheat) - and go low carb while you're at it. (max 50g net carbs/day). It's probably a lot more effective than using cannabis or other drugs as a band-aid.

I didn't believe any of this before I tried the keto diet, but when a lot of random inflammatory conditions went away like magic, I got intrigued and started looking into it. There is solid evidence for this - e.g. clinical trials of the keto diet for rheumatoid arthritis. It's a lot more effective than Plaquenil, in fact. That too is likely to turn out to be a band-aid with minimal or moderate effect at best...if you notice, Anthony Fauci is a noted skeptic and says all the same things I've been saying here.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 am Anti-inflammatory lifestyle is REALLY important. I would strongly suggest strictly avoiding sugar and grains (especially wheat) -
Oh great, I’ve been living on toast and jam, crackers, naan and frozen meals, since the quarantine.
I don’t usually, and we made vegetable soup, but it’s just easier to find bread than fresh food.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:11 am
WiseOne wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 am Anti-inflammatory lifestyle is REALLY important. I would strongly suggest strictly avoiding sugar and grains (especially wheat) -
Oh great, I’ve been living on toast and jam, crackers, naan and frozen meals, since the quarantine.
I don’t usually, and we made vegetable soup, but it’s just easier to find bread than fresh food.
Same here because we don't have anything fresh other than some citrus I bought online from a South Texas grower.
I'll try to figure out how to avoid those things but it's not going to be easy.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Much easier I know...but there are ways to manage if you're determined. Especially if you have some freezer space. A large roast, cooked for many hours in a low temperature oven, and some packages of frozen spinach or green beans for example. And sour cream on top. Yum.

Tech - you could order from US Wellness meats or similar service, and find a grocery delivery service (Amazon Fresh?) for frozen veggies.

Actually why the problem with fresh (or frozen) food? The grocery chains are doing a pretty good job of staying stocked despite all the panic buying. And most people aren't looking for big cuts of meat. They initially bought up frozen veggies but that's calmed down considerably and that stuff is once again in stock.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I think we’ll have better luck finding fresh food next week, where we live. It may have been a matter of timing.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:29 am
Much easier I know...but there are ways to manage if you're determined. Especially if you have some freezer space. A large roast, cooked for many hours in a low temperature oven, and some packages of frozen spinach or green beans for example. And sour cream on top. Yum.

Tech - you could order from US Wellness meats or similar service, and find a grocery delivery service (Amazon Fresh?) for frozen veggies.

Actually why the problem with fresh (or frozen) food? The grocery chains are doing a pretty good job of staying stocked despite all the panic buying. And most people aren't looking for big cuts of meat. They initially bought up frozen veggies but that's calmed down considerably and that stuff is once again in stock.
The problem with fresh or frozen food is that I don't want to leave the house for any reason until this is under control and there are treatments if we get sick. We live in the sticks where food delivery doesn't exist.

We're both over 70 and although in general we are in very good health, I just don't want to take any chance of getting this in the current health care environment. I don't even want to take a chance on getting in an auto accident.

We don't have much chance of getting it if we don't go out and don't handle our mail too soon, so we may be okay even with a less-than-ideal diet.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, that’s a big part of it, too. I used to buy fresh food every two days if not every day. If I buy too much, we’ll just watch it spoil. The freezer is full. That means rice, potatoes, pasta, naan, and crackers. At least you can put different things on top. Curry sauce, tomato sauce, etc.

I ordered a bunch of meal replacement bars from Atkins.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Unlike cats, humans (and chimps) have to get some sunlight to activate and process vitamin D. We’re getting plenty of sunlight, but through a skylight.

Skylight sunlight is good enough, isn’t it? I really have no idea. Do you guys know?
Asking for a chimp friend.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Ad, hope you and yours feel better soonest! Blessings.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

dualstow wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Unlike cats, humans (and chimps) have to get some sunlight to activate and process vitamin D. We’re getting plenty of sunlight, but through a skylight.

Skylight sunlight is good enough, isn’t it? I really have no idea. Do you guys know?
Asking for a chimp friend.
As far as I'm aware, you will not absorb much vitamin D through glass.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

One other thing if people are trying to boost their immune systems... stress puts a big damper on immune response. And since fear of the virus and the financial market turmoil right now can cause stress, this can work against you. Yoga, deep breathing exercises, meditation, etc are all wonderful ways to reduce your stress and in turn boost your immune response.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pmward wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm One other thing if people are trying to boost their immune systems... stress puts a big damper on immune response. And since fear of the virus and the financial market turmoil right now can cause stress, this can work against you. Yoga, deep breathing exercises, meditation, etc are all wonderful ways to reduce your stress and in turn boost your immune response.
Each time when I get to the point in my exercise program whereby I am pushing myself to the extreme in doing my five reps of 200 pound dead lifts internally I'm shouting to myself, "You, virus, are NOT going to get me!" Like maintaining a strong body will fight it off.

For me today is day 9 where over the last nine days I've only had one day wherein I had any (and there were brief) exposures to any other human beings.

All cats I've owned since 1984 have been in isolation (not allowed to leave the house). All other pets are confined to their restricted living spaces. Therefore, for me, the only current exposure I currently have is getting my mail / newspaper out of the mailbox. Yesterday, after bringing them in the house, I put them down, and washed a load of dishes to thoroughly clean my hands. Have not touched that mail or newspaper since I put it down. Am I supposed to somehow be cleaning that mail and newspaper??!! I could not fathom how. A freecycle group I belong to stated that one should clean anything one acquires with a solution of at least 60% alcohol.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."