Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10442
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Cruise ship with 42 sick passengers and crew headed to Florida
https://thehill.com/policy/transportati ... to-florida
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm
And, there were a lot of neighborhood kids playing on the trampoline on the other side of the fence adjoining my property.
Playing together, in a big group? ::)
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Cruise ship with 42 sick passengers and crew headed to Florida
https://thehill.com/policy/transportati ... to-florida
There are still some cruise ships out there operating during a global pandemic? Why?
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10442
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Why indeed. Bars are closed but here come the cruise ships. Makes no sense.
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:26 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm
And, there were a lot of neighborhood kids playing on the trampoline on the other side of the fence adjoining my property.
Playing together, in a big group? ::)
The white fence is about six feet high. Then the trampolines outlines extend for another three feet over it.

Therefore I was not actually seeing anyone. Just heard a lot of children's voices. Could have been as few as three or four. At the time I did not have in mind doing a detailed report on that aspect of it. What was going through my mind regarding them was..."If they are outside, I should also!"

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Why indeed. Bars are closed but here come the cruise ships. Makes no sense.
Why was Trump always making it a point of emphasis every day that we had to help the airlines industry, the hotel industry...……….the cruise ship industry??!!

I did some limited research and it seemed like the entire world wide cruise ship industry was smaller than all of our 200th largest companies.

And, I since learned that many of those in the cruise ship industry are registered under foreign flags to avoid paying U.S. taxes.

Therefore, his consistent, constant worry for that industry made me wonder in what way he profits from its health.

It should be far, far, far, far, far down the list of industries that are far more important and essential to our economy.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm

I am now going to fully open the last several days' (week's) worth of mail. After I complete doing so I will then do a day's worth of washing dishes to thoroughly cleanse my hands.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10442
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 pm

I can see how the cruise ship industry is important to the state of Florida, bringing all those tourists, but yes, not to the country.
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10442
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm
'MURICA #1 !!! In the next day or so we will surpass China for infections!
<snip>
Passed.
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Dieter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:48 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Why indeed. Bars are closed but here come the cruise ships. Makes no sense.
Why was Trump always making it a point of emphasis every day that we had to help the airlines industry, the hotel industry...……….the cruise ship industry??!!

I did some limited research and it seemed like the entire world wide cruise ship industry was smaller than all of our 200th largest companies.

And, I since learned that many of those in the cruise ship industry are registered under foreign flags to avoid paying U.S. taxes.

Therefore, his consistent, constant worry for that industry made me wonder in what way he profits from its health.

It should be far, far, far, far, far down the list of industries that are far more important and essential to our economy.

Vinny
Yeah, that.... Holy relief act Batman, might they actually be excluded?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/26/cor ... lines.html

I sure hope we don't bail out these companies.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm
'MURICA #1 !!! In the next day or so we will surpass China for infections!
<snip>
Passed.
Image
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Front page top headline in my local newspaper (from yesterday): Business is booming at liquor stores"

In the accompanying picture it looks like the cashier and customer are no farer than two feet apart...

First paragraph: "It seems many locals are throwing back a shot to forget about the worldwide coronavirus outbreak, as liquor stores across...….report experiencing a massive spike in business over the past two weeks"

I conclude that the demographics in that category in my county seem to parallel those same demographics in this forum!

IF I am correctly using the word "demographics'! Meant to imply that there is seems to be the same rate of usage in both.

And, as I keep reading the details in the article I see that some here may be interested in reading those same details: https://www.recorder.com/Liquor-stores- ... 9-33490871.



Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Post Reply