Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 pm
United States NOT on the list!

https://www.businessinsider.com/history ... aks-2014-3

Vinny
Interesting. Pretty confident it did shut down. I find it curious it's not on the list.

https://archive.org/stream/independen79 ... 4/mode/1up
I thought it had shut down the week of 9/11? And, for some time during World War II? But could not find either.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Vinny
Interesting. Pretty confident it did shut down. I find it curious it's not on the list.

I thought it had shut down the week of 9/11? And, for some time during World War II? But could not find either.

Vinny
The US stock market did shut down for the remainder of the week after 9/11 and reopened on the following Monday...where it promptly lost 7%

It also did shut down for a brief while during the first month/s of WWI but never did so during WWII. There were constant rumors in early 1942 that it was going to close, volume was even lower in many stocks than at the bottom of the Depression, the dividend yield on the predecessor to the S&P 500 went up to over 9% (since the underlying economy was doing fine but stock prices kept falling until the victory at Midway), and a seat on the New York Stock Exchange sold for a mere $17,000 compared to a peak price of $625,000 in 1929....but the market never did actually close.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

D1984 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Vinny

Vinny
The US stock market did shut down for the remainder of the week after 9/11 and reopened on the following Monday...where it promptly lost 7%

It also did shut down for a brief while during the first month/s of WWI but never did so during WWII. There were constant rumors in early 1942 that it was going to close, volume was even lower in many stocks than at the bottom of the Depression, the dividend yield on the predecessor to the S&P 500 went up to over 9% (since the underlying economy was doing fine but stock prices kept falling until the victory at Midway), and a seat on the New York Stock Exchange sold for a mere $17,000 compared to a peak price of $625,000 in 1929....but the market never did actually close.
I'm now reading in the book that the market closed in the 1870s for nine days to sort out after the disaster caused by all the railroad speculation.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

No matter how you slice it, we are living through some serious history right now, guys.
200319005151-05-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg
200319005151-05-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
200319004254-02-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg
200319004254-02-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/03/18 ... 0219081731

Treasury Proposes to Guarantee Money Market Funds in Stimulus

Money market mutual funds, which have trillions in assets, could be essential if conditions worsen.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

from another thread
stuper1 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 pm Not to be alarmist, but if you haven't been out shopping for several days, you may be in for a surprise at how things are. I definitely wouldn't want to get very low on supplies right now. The stores I've been in generally have food available, but not always what you are looking for. We have a pretty full pantry at this point, and I intend to be out shopping more within a week so that we keep stocked up.

Again I'm not trying to scare you. It's just that it sounds like maybe you've been cooped up for several days and may not realize that things have gotten a bit weird at the stores. I imagine that if the virus case count were to rise much, that it could get even weirder.
Definitely no food shortage, but people are still stocking up on certain things. We weren't able to get bread, but found hot dog rolls.
A friend of mine braved Trader Joe's yesterday and said that they were fully stocked.
Supposedly morning is a good time to go, because that's after they've disinfected everything. Could also be a very crowded time, of course.
T.P. takes up a lot of space, which is the main reason stores can't stock it fast enough to satisfy serious hoarders.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.
Michael McKean as Chuck
Michael McKean as Chuck
chuckfoil.png (185.98 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.

chuckfoil.png
BWAHAHAHA
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

And yes, in a liquidity squeeze, they widen the hole of one bottle neck... and soon find out where the next smallest hole is. I do not think they will shut the markets down though. I think what Trump said, cutting back trading hours, is more likely. Closing the markets altogether is the ultimate squeeze to liquidity... as liquidity doesn't exist if you cannot trade.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.

chuckfoil.png
Actually at this point I'm doing the following:
1. Not checking mail every day. (Fortunately I have that "informed delivery" service from the USPS so I can tell if there's anything significant coming.)
2. Throwing all junk mail into a trash bag while wearing gloves.
3. Setting all bill paying to paperless.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Just heard that one of my friends has been hoarding gas cans. WTF?

He lives in an apartment, BTW.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:04 pm Just heard that one of my friends has been hoarding gas cans. WTF?

He lives in an apartment, BTW.
That's going to end well.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Indiana schools now officially online only through May 1.

But the real tragedy is that the chances of holding the Indy 500 (world's largest single-day sporting event) on May 24 are getting slimmer and slimmer. Realistically they are probably zero, but nothing official yet.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

flyingpylon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm Indiana schools now officially online only through May 1.

But the real tragedy is that the chances of holding the Indy 500 (world's largest single-day sporting event) on May 24 are getting slimmer and slimmer. Realistically they are probably zero, but nothing official yet.
Without looking it up, I would venture to say that the world's largest single day sporting event is a soccer game, either the annual Champions League final in June or the quadrennial World Cup final. This year's Champions League final is in serious doubt currently.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

stuper1 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:25 pm
flyingpylon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm Indiana schools now officially online only through May 1.

Without looking it up, I would venture to say that the world's largest single day sporting event is a soccer game, either the annual Champions League final in June or the quadrennial World Cup final. This year's Champions League final is in serious doubt currently.
Really? There's no way you can get as many people around a soccer field as a racetrack. The Indy racetrack seats 250,000.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:08 pm
WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X
Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.
I just started yesterday and I'm already on season 2. Send help! This is depression behaviour without the depression. :o

I used to have real depression. You know what was a friggin' miracle cure? Vitamin D. Changed my life.

On another note, I totally salute you and the work you're doing as a medical professional. You people are real heroes. Thanks, WiseOne!
+1 Good for you, WiseOne.
Smith, you're the one of the last people I'd guess had depression, even in the past. I guess one never knows.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm Smith, you're the one of the last people I'd guess had depression, even in the past. I guess one never knows.
The truth is that I've had rather poor mental health for most of my adult life.

It started when I was 19 years old (now 31) when my college sweetheart broke up with me. From then on a kind of domino effect took over and a downward spiral ensued.

Your life kind of falls apart, but you're not really aware that it's your mental health that's the problem. After a while you sort of just assume you're a piece of s@$t and aren't capable of anything better. I never got into alcoholism or anything like that (thank goodness), but it was bad enough that I understand how these "diseases of despair" can grab a hold on people.

It turned around by my mid-twenties or so. You make small changes that allow for an upward rather a downward spiral. They become self-reinforcing. One day you eat a little less junk food. The next day you go for a walk. You decide to go back to school with 1 course -- then 2.

Life is much better now, but I don't regret the crap experience, as one only grows stronger through trying times.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Girls- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. Or so I thought when I was 19, too.
Interesting story. Thanks for opening up.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:11 pm Girls- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. Or so I thought when I was 19, too.
Interesting story. Thanks for opening up.
It is funny how much one is willing to open up when they are pseudonymous. :)
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

A friend of mine just heard there is a confirmed case of the big CV in his apartment building. It is almost all senior citizens there.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:16 pm A friend of mine just heard there is a confirmed case of the big CV in his apartment building. It is almost all senior citizens there.
Oh crap, that does not sound good.

My apocalypse movies and shows so far (either watched or on the list):

- I am Legend
- Contagion
- Quarantine
- Breaking Bad
- V for Vendetta
- Joker
- Pandemic
- World War Z
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

You might want to look it up!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:27 pm My apocalypse movies and shows so far (either watched or on the list):

- I am Legend
- Contagion
- Quarantine
- Breaking Bad
- V for Vendetta
- Joker
- Pandemic
- World War Z
For me the big one was Stephen King's The Stand (the book). Also Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain.
Neither is great literature, but very relevant.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 pm
For me the big one was Stephen King's The Stand (the book). Also Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain.
Added.

Coincidentally, I read a Stephen King piece recently during this quarantine.

The story is called The Jaunt. It is absolutely terrifying... but in a good and entertaining way of course.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

flyingpylon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm

You might want to look it up!
I guess I should. I guess we're talking about live audience as opposed to total audience, including TV. My bad. Sorry.