Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by sophie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am

pugchief wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:56 am
The issue isn't living with Covid forever. We are living with the flu forever and go about our lives anyway. The issue is living with the masks, lockdowns and new draconian government power that Covid has brought that we can't endure.
This is beautifully put pugchief...as usual!! I just couldn't resist adding a little coda: being FI with the PP has got to be the best possible situation to be in today, apart from being the CEO of Amazon. We're set no matter what happens now:

Possibility #1: end of lockdowns -> market keeps going, economy recovers, your PP does just fine.
Possibility #2: perennial or recurring lockdowns with permanent ongoing restrictions/mask mandates putting up social barriers and discouraging a return to normal life, with no endpoint in sight -> we dive into an outright depression . PP will do just fine (just keep that bond allocation going).
Possibility #3: regardless of lockdowns, this board gets identified as containing the wrong opinions/views, all of us are doxxed, and we are penalized in various ways. The most important being that we get fired and blacklisted from future employment.

So who is close to being FI? I think that should be everyone's #1 priority right now. I did my numbers in the beginning of January, and I'm 6 months away from a comfortable, well-padded retirement but could easily scrape by right now. I'm assuming a standard 4% safe withdrawal rate, a 27% discount to Social Security, average tax rate of 17% and adding a 10% expense cushion, increasing to 20% after age 70.

I've been mostly lurking guys, with really very little opportunity to post. I'm definitely enjoying the commentaries, and very much thankful that the forum has been able to get it together and keep the tradition going.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

pugchief wrote:
The issue isn't living with Covid forever. We are living with the flu forever and go about our lives anyway. The issue is living with the masks, lockdowns and new draconian government power that Covid has brought that we can't endure.
Very well said. You think it's bad now, buckle your seatbelt. I sometimes feel we are being "conditioned" to what the real plan is. Sure hope I'm wrong about that. I'd say more, but someone might think I'm a twit, or might cause someone to lose face while sitting in the parlor watching the tube and aptly chatting. Meanwhile, the clock is tick tocking. ;)
“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” — Augustine Of Hippo
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

pugchief wrote:

Very well said. You think it's bad now, buckle your seatbelt. I sometimes feel we are being "conditioned" to what the real plan is. Sure hope I'm wrong about that. I'd say more, but someone might think I'm a twit, or might cause someone to lose face while sitting in the parlor watching the tube and aptly chatting. Meanwhile, the clock is tick tocking. ;)

I can assure you you are wrong about this. There is no "real plan"!

Just a lot of politicians who are afraid to lead and who are flailing away in the darkness.

There is no sinister, coordinated plot among them.

They are all doing what they think is best.

This would have been a case where a federal government led by someone who was proven to be trustworthy, whose integrity was beyond reproach....could have gone a LONG way.

"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 pm
On no....Not again!
https://www.rt.com/news/512142-victoria ... e-andrews/
I am interstate and now have to get a permit to return home :o
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/1 ... ity-award/
sophie wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am
...So who is close to being FI? I think that should be everyone's #1 priority right now. I did my numbers in the beginning of January, and I'm 6 months away from a comfortable, well-padded retirement but could easily scrape by right now. I'm assuming a standard 4% safe withdrawal rate, a 27% discount to Social Security, average tax rate of 17% and adding a 10% expense cushion, increasing to 20% after age 70.

I've been mostly lurking guys, with really very little opportunity to post. I'm definitely enjoying the commentaries, and very much thankful that the forum has been able to get it together and keep the tradition going.
I feel funny saying it in a virus thread, but congrats, Sophie!
And more on topic: best of luck getting back to your home provice, Hal.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:10 am

> Just a lot of politicians who are afraid to lead and who are flailing away in the darkness

Iono, curfews are spreading. All day long in Lebanon. People aren't asking for that. We've been fine with "war zone" ERs during flu season, for years.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am
pugchief wrote:
I can assure you you are wrong about this. There is no "real plan"!

Just a lot of politicians who are afraid to lead and who are flailing away in the darkness.

There is no sinister, coordinated plot among them.

They are all doing what they think is best.

This would have been a case where a federal government led by someone who was proven to be trustworthy, whose integrity was beyond reproach....could have gone a LONG way.
Vinny, my first four sentences were a set up for the last two. Reread and think social media (Twitter, Facebook, Parler, YouTube, AppChat, TikTok). And note the emoji. I think your response indicated you thought I was being serious. Lighten up Dude, have some fun, life is short, try some Single Malt! ;)
“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” — Augustine Of Hippo
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:14 am

Klaus Schwab, a self-acknowledged Elite, has come right out and asserted that he and his cronies do indeed have a plan, and have described this plan as involving some of the most dystopic, authoritarian objectives that could possibly be imagined.

What kind of personality denies what comes directly out of the mouths of these people?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:05 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:14 am

Klaus Schwab, a self-acknowledged Elite, has come right out and asserted that he and his cronies do indeed have a plan, and have described this plan as involving some of the most dystopic, authoritarian objectives that could possibly be imagined.

What kind of personality denies what comes directly out of the mouths of these people?

a. Prior to reading this post I'd never prior heard the name "Klaus Schwab". Is it your expectation that we are all to know who he is? That the general populace knows who he is?

b. Is this him? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Schwab. I just read it. What about him is supposed to be of concern to us?

c. Where has he " come right out and asserted that he and his cronies do indeed have a plan"?

d. "What kind of personality denies what comes directly out of the mouths of these people?" Probably the kind that has no no context or detail regarding any of this other than the barest of details you provide above and, thereby, makes no judgments upon which one has no knowledge or information.

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Here Vinny, let me Google that for you. This article by Schwab in the World Economic Forum was the top search result for "Klaus Schwab on coronavirus":
The only acceptable response to such a crisis is to pursue a “Great Reset” of our economies, politics, and societies. Indeed, this is a moment to re-evaluate the sacred cows of the pre-pandemic system, but also to defend certain long-held values. The task we face is to preserve the accomplishments of the past 75 years in a more sustainable form.
[...]
The Great Reset should seek to lend a voice to those who have been left behind, so that everyone who is willing to “co-shape” the future can do so. The reset that we need is not a revolution or a shift to some new ideology. Rather, it should be seen as a pragmatic step toward a more resilient, cohesive, and sustainable world. Some of the pillars of the global system will need to be replaced, and others repaired or strengthened. To achieve shared progress, prosperity, and health requires nothing more – or less.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/10/ ... -equality/
From the context of Maddy's most recent post, yes, that is pretty obviously the Klaus Schwab she's referring to.

And this is from the Wikipedia article on the Great Reset (the phrase mentioned in the previous quote by Schwab):
The Great Reset is a proposal by the World Economic Forum (WEF) to rebuild the economy sustainably following the COVID-19 pandemic. It was unveiled in May 2020 by the United Kingdom's Prince Charles and WEF director Klaus Schwab.[1][2] It seeks to improve capitalism by making investments more geared toward mutual progress and focusing more on environmental initiatives. A petition in Canada to stop it gained 80,000 signatures in less than 72 hours. A conspiracy theory has spread in response, claiming it will be used to bring in a supposed New World Order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Reset
Since Wikipedia calls the New World Order concerns surrounding the Great Reset a "conspiracy theory," we can all safely ignore them. Totally discredited! ;)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Here Vinny, let me Google that for you. This article by Schwab in the World Economic Forum was the top search result for "Klaus Schwab on coronavirus":

The only acceptable response to such a crisis is to pursue a “Great Reset” of our economies, politics, and societies. Indeed, this is a moment to re-evaluate the sacred cows of the pre-pandemic system, but also to defend certain long-held values. The task we face is to preserve the accomplishments of the past 75 years in a more sustainable form.
[...]
The Great Reset should seek to lend a voice to those who have been left behind, so that everyone who is willing to “co-shape” the future can do so. The reset that we need is not a revolution or a shift to some new ideology. Rather, it should be seen as a pragmatic step toward a more resilient, cohesive, and sustainable world. Some of the pillars of the global system will need to be replaced, and others repaired or strengthened. To achieve shared progress, prosperity, and health requires nothing more – or less.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/10/ ... -equality/

From the context of Maddy's most recent post, yes, that is pretty obviously the Klaus Schwab she's referring to.

And this is from the Wikipedia article on the Great Reset (the phrase mentioned in the previous quote by Schwab):

The Great Reset is a proposal by the World Economic Forum (WEF) to rebuild the economy sustainably following the COVID-19 pandemic. It was unveiled in May 2020 by the United Kingdom's Prince Charles and WEF director Klaus Schwab.[1][2] It seeks to improve capitalism by making investments more geared toward mutual progress and focusing more on environmental initiatives. A petition in Canada to stop it gained 80,000 signatures in less than 72 hours. A conspiracy theory has spread in response, claiming it will be used to bring in a supposed New World Order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Reset

Since Wikipedia calls the New World Order concerns surrounding the Great Reset a "conspiracy theory," we can all safely ignore them. Totally discredited! ;)

His name is thrown around like whatever he has to say has the same impact as when someone far more highly known has to say something.

I'm sorry. If you have to do research to find out who this person is because he is so unfamiliar to most then said person is not a particularly impactful person.

And, course, the conspiracy theorists are always ready to jump into anything that does not meet their approval.

Finally, thanks for enlightening me with the above. Do you have any problems with the ultimate goals of The Great Reset? Do the conspiracy theorists? Or, is it their never ending paranoia regarding the methods that MAY be used to get to those goals?

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Finally, thanks for enlightening me with the above. Do you have any problems with the ultimate goals of The Great Reset? Do the conspiracy theorists? Or, is it their never ending paranoia regarding the methods that MAY be used to get to those goals?
if you want to debate or discuss with people in good faith, you might stop using the pejorative "conspiracy theorist", all you are doing is showing people that you have labeled their opinions and dismissed them without thought...
no point in replying to that...
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:32 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:45 pm

if you want to debate or discuss with people in good faith, you might stop using the pejorative "conspiracy theorist", all you are doing is showing people that you have labeled their opinions and dismissed them without thought...
no point in replying to that...

Is that in any way similar to others using the pejorative...."liberals"..."The left"...."The Leftists"?

I don't dismiss anyone's opinions without thought. However, when I read some of the opinions expressed I have to classify some of them as belonging to the "conspiracy theorist" category.