Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm

I've pondered this myself and am really quite stumped about how--in light of all of the actual facts--people are still running around acting like the end of the world is nigh. My own sense is that it's not being driven by actual fear, but more from a driving, unconscious need for a rallying point and for a sense of conformity or solidarity in connection with that. That kind of driving need that arises when your existential platform has been pulled out from under you and you're searching for external validation of something really big that you can hang your hat on. Does that make any sense?
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4315
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm
I've pondered this myself and am really quite stumped about how--in light of all of the actual facts--people are still running around acting like the end of the world is nigh. My own sense is that it's not being driven by actual fear, but more from a driving, unconscious need for a rallying point and for a sense of conformity or solidarity in connection with that. That kind of driving need that arises when your existential platform has been pulled out from under you and you're searching for external validation of something really big that you can hang your hat on. Does that make any sense?
Yep! But you know where I'm coming from. :)
“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” — Augustine Of Hippo
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:53 pm

I wonder if movies like "Outbreak", "World War Z", and others of the same genre may contribute to the fear.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Found this interesting. I don't want to read too much into it. "Ending" vs. "Ended?" Is this trying to say it's over, or still a work in progress?

How do you guys take it? "Accomplishments from first term"

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000175 ... dfff5c0000

Image
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:08 pm
Found this interesting. I don't want to read too much into it. "Ending" vs. "Ended?" Is this trying to say it's over, or still a work in progress?

How do you guys take it? "Accomplishments from first term"

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000175 ... dfff5c0000

Image
In accounting financial statements prepared according to GAAP "Ended" and "Ending" have specific meanings.

"Ended" are those time period in the past. "Ending" is for either pro forma statements or projected statements. Or, at least that is from what I remember a firm partner telling me one day.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 pm

Wish I could take credit for this jewel, but I can't. . .

"There's a spike in CoVid cases because they're doing more testing. If they did more IQ tests, there'd be a spike in morons."
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4315
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 am

Maddy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 pm
Wish I could take credit for this jewel, but I can't. . .

"There's a spike in CoVid cases because they're doing more testing. If they did more IQ tests, there'd be a spike in morons."
Maddy, that may be the quote of the day, week, month, year. You get full credit for sharing the jewel with us! O0
“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” — Augustine Of Hippo
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am

I don't think the fearmongering will necessarily end after the election because "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste".
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by l82start » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am
I don't think the fearmongering will necessarily end after the election because "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste".
agreed... but high likelihood they move on to the next crisis, the current ones are wearing out..
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 am

The height of disregard for others?

Vinny

Dodgers’ Justin Turner Celebrates World Series Win On-Field Despite Testing Positive for Covid-19 Mid-Game

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/do ... uxbndlbing
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:25 am

So NOW it matters again to the market. What a joke.

Image
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3205
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 am
The height of disregard for others?

Vinny

Dodgers’ Justin Turner Celebrates World Series Win On-Field Despite Testing Positive for Covid-19 Mid-Game

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/do ... uxbndlbing
In his defense, a positive test doesn't mean very much. Did you see the article that (I think) Sophie posted earlier?
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/2 ... ive-tests/

The PCR test has a false positive rate which means that the great majority of positive tests are false positives.
Post Reply