Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 pm

Good news: Zero deaths in Canada.....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canada-zer ... irst-time/
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 pm
In a matter of weeks, Covid-19 spurred seismic shifts in how we work, learn and transact, and it helped usher in a new era that is smarter and fairer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllan ... 74e73b71c1

"Capitalism, the greatest engine for prosperity and innovation ever created, was already under strain before the coronavirus pandemic. Despite a decade of impressive economic growth and job creation, a plurality of Americans still reported feeling as though the system was rigged, that hard work and playing by the rules no longer ensured success. “It is scary when you had the lowest unemployment, the lowest African American unemployment, the lowest Hispanic unemployment, the lowest women’s unemployment,” says Michael Milken, who has sat in the middle of several of these cycles, “and that’s how people felt.”
Yes, it's amazing how powerful socialistic propaganda can be. It can convince people to believe things that obviously aren't true.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:23 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 pm
In a matter of weeks, Covid-19 spurred seismic shifts in how we work, learn and transact, and it helped usher in a new era that is smarter and fairer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllan ... 74e73b71c1

"Capitalism, the greatest engine for prosperity and innovation ever created, was already under strain before the coronavirus pandemic. Despite a decade of impressive economic growth and job creation, a plurality of Americans still reported feeling as though the system was rigged, that hard work and playing by the rules no longer ensured success. “It is scary when you had the lowest unemployment, the lowest African American unemployment, the lowest Hispanic unemployment, the lowest women’s unemployment,” says Michael Milken, who has sat in the middle of several of these cycles, “and that’s how people felt.”
Yes, it's amazing how powerful socialistic propaganda can be. It can convince people to believe things that obviously aren't true.
I'm not much for religion nowadays but I can see why socialism/communism sees it as an enemy that has to be destroyed. The teaching that "envy" is a sin is completely incompatible with its goals.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:23 pm
technovelist wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 pm
In a matter of weeks, Covid-19 spurred seismic shifts in how we work, learn and transact, and it helped usher in a new era that is smarter and fairer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllan ... 74e73b71c1

"Capitalism, the greatest engine for prosperity and innovation ever created, was already under strain before the coronavirus pandemic. Despite a decade of impressive economic growth and job creation, a plurality of Americans still reported feeling as though the system was rigged, that hard work and playing by the rules no longer ensured success. “It is scary when you had the lowest unemployment, the lowest African American unemployment, the lowest Hispanic unemployment, the lowest women’s unemployment,” says Michael Milken, who has sat in the middle of several of these cycles, “and that’s how people felt.”
Yes, it's amazing how powerful socialistic propaganda can be. It can convince people to believe things that obviously aren't true.
I'm not much for religion nowadays but I can see why socialism/communism sees it as an enemy that has to be destroyed. The teaching that "envy" is a sin is completely incompatible with its goals.
Yep.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10756
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 pm

According to https://ncov2019.live/data
The US has had 597 deaths per million,
and Sweden has had 578 deaths per million.
Not that different.
Hmm.
RIP Ron Cobb (Daily Check-in Thread).
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to stop looking at data. Each state, each country has different testing regimens and ways of counting or not counting cases and deaths.

I would love to see a good healthy debate between someone on the side of Fauci and the Irish guy in the video posted by Shekels.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:29 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm
I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to stop looking at data. Each state, each country has different testing regimens and ways of counting or not counting cases and deaths.
Now you're talking my language.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.19 KiB) Viewed 371 times
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Capture.JPG
Yes, that's how it is.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 pm

#SnowSoWhite
User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by jalanlong » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:37 am

This is why I am not looking forward to winter...they are going to try to keep it going as long as possible:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... s-needs-to
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 am

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:37 am
This is why I am not looking forward to winter...they are going to try to keep it going as long as possible:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... s-needs-to
The blue state governors will give up on that as soon as the election is over.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Post Reply