Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by boglerdude »

The White House event to celebrate Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination — a gathering that appears to have spread the coronavirus

Has the NYT always been BS? Or did the Internet destroy their ability to pay for quality writing and editing, so all we get is clickbait and trolling
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Yes, but why
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

boglerdude wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:44 am Yes, but why
Would that not be that is the way they get the most readers and, therefore, the most advertiser $$$$$?

We ALL know that $$$$$$$$$$ make the world go round.

I assume the shift must have happened when the internet was heavily causing the demise of newspapers and this was something they chose to do to survive.

However, they had had definitely not yet made this change in the runup to the Iraq War as they were one of its prime cheerleaders, negligently printing all of Judith Miller's fallacious articles.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

This was an interesting animated cases graphic:

http://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:50 am This was an interesting animated cases graphic:

http://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june
I can't open the link????
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I can't open this link either. Maybe my computer blocking software for hinkey sites??????
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Never mind. I rebooted >:D and all is well. Sorry.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Interesting anecdote. My daughter works in a clinic in central Washington state; it is adjacent to a hospital where she used to work and is friends with many of the medical staff. Nurses at the hospital noticed that several Covid tests came back positive and when they called the persons affected, they said they had been in line to get tested but the line was long so they left before being swabbed. The nurses decided to do a "test". They submitted several unused swabs to be tested. The all came back positive. Just Wow! I wonder if there is there some incentive for hospitals/states to have lots of positives? Do they get some kind of governmental aid based on cases?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Ooohhhh. I wanted to punch that lady....
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 am Interesting anecdote. My daughter works in a clinic in central Washington state; it is adjacent to a hospital where she used to work and is friends with many of the medical staff. Nurses at the hospital noticed that several Covid tests came back positive and when they called the persons affected, they said they had been in line to get tested but the line was long so they left before being swabbed. The nurses decided to do a "test". They submitted several unused swabs to be tested. The all came back positive. Just Wow! I wonder if there is there some incentive for hospitals/states to have lots of positives? Do they get some kind of governmental aid based on cases?

No, but I've heard of lawsuits alleging the opposite.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/932722

The nurses decided to do a "test". They submitted several unused swabs to be tested. The all came back positive.
Or maybe they just read propaganda on their Facebook feed about nurses who did that....that seems more plausible.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:19 am
Ooohhhh. I wanted to punch that lady....
Civil rights act of 1964. Lol. Where do people get this shit?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

9qalz4e27ms51.jpg
9qalz4e27ms51.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

doodle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am
Mountaineer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 am Interesting anecdote. My daughter works in a clinic in central Washington state; it is adjacent to a hospital where she used to work and is friends with many of the medical staff. Nurses at the hospital noticed that several Covid tests came back positive and when they called the persons affected, they said they had been in line to get tested but the line was long so they left before being swabbed. The nurses decided to do a "test". They submitted several unused swabs to be tested. The all came back positive. Just Wow! I wonder if there is there some incentive for hospitals/states to have lots of positives? Do they get some kind of governmental aid based on cases?

The nurses decided to do a "test". They submitted several unused swabs to be tested. The all came back positive.
Or maybe they just read propaganda on their Facebook feed about nurses who did that....that seems more plausible.
Perhaps. I'd hate to think that my daughter's long time friends were all liars and colluders. But, who knows, maybe they all suffer from TDS Stage 4. ;)
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:50 am
doodle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am

Perhaps. I'd hate to think that my daughter's long time friends were all liars and colluders. But, who knows, maybe they all suffer from TDS Stage 4. ;)
You mean BDS Stage 4?

Not liars...stretchers of the truth...like when our president says he's a genius and stretches his iq about 40 points.

Either way, whichever way tests go, there is evidently something happening:
2020-Mortality-Chart.jpg
2020-Mortality-Chart.jpg (117.82 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

pp4me wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:24 pm
Early this week, three of the world’s top epidemiologists published the Great Barrington Declaration, a short treatise that advocates a controversial approach to managing the coronavirus pandemic. Professors Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, Sunetra Gupta of Oxford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University argue that societies across the globe should reopen immediately and completely.

Instead of observing measures designed to slow the spread of the virus, the young and healthy should resume normal activity in order to incur herd immunity and thereby protect those vulnerable to severe illness. The authors urge the adoption of this strategy, which they call “Focused Protection,” in light of increasing evidence that “current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. . . Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.”

As of this writing, the Declaration has been signed by 3,089 other medical and public health scientists, 4,532 medical practitioners, and around 70,000 members of the general public.
The Great Barrington Declaration
I believe I saw some of those authors on Laura Ingraham the other day.

This seems to be turning into a consensus opinion but as long as "the science" equals "what Dr. Fauci says" I expect the lockdown states to stay locked down. Just glad I live in Florida.
I just don't see any end to this and I live in a very Red state. There was a scientist on 60 mins last night claiming we are in for at least 2 more years of masks and distancing. Which means 2 more years of no concerts, no sporting events, no movies in theaters and shutdowns/panic whenever a case hits your office or general vicinity.

But even if a return to normalcy did become a consensus opinion, do we really believe the government would back down on its previous decisions? To piggyback on tomfoolery's other thread about government successes, how many times has the government instituted a new policy, order or department and then changed course and admit they were mistaken in a relatively short amount of time (not 100 years later)?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

jalanlong wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am
pp4me wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:24 pm
Early this week, three of the world’s top epidemiologists published the Great Barrington Declaration, a short treatise that advocates a controversial approach to managing the coronavirus pandemic. Professors Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, Sunetra Gupta of Oxford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University argue that societies across the globe should reopen immediately and completely.

Instead of observing measures designed to slow the spread of the virus, the young and healthy should resume normal activity in order to incur herd immunity and thereby protect those vulnerable to severe illness. The authors urge the adoption of this strategy, which they call “Focused Protection,” in light of increasing evidence that “current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. . . Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.”

As of this writing, the Declaration has been signed by 3,089 other medical and public health scientists, 4,532 medical practitioners, and around 70,000 members of the general public.
The Great Barrington Declaration
I believe I saw some of those authors on Laura Ingraham the other day.

This seems to be turning into a consensus opinion but as long as "the science" equals "what Dr. Fauci says" I expect the lockdown states to stay locked down. Just glad I live in Florida.
I just don't see any end to this and I live in a very Red state. There was a scientist on 60 mins last night claiming we are in for at least 2 more years of masks and distancing. Which means 2 more years of no concerts, no sporting events, no movies in theaters and shutdowns/panic whenever a case hits your office or general vicinity.

But even if a return to normalcy did become a consensus opinion, do we really believe the government would back down on its previous decisions? To piggyback on tomfoolery's other thread about government successes, how many times has the government instituted a new policy, order or department and then changed course and admit they were mistaken in a relatively short amount of time (not 100 years later)?
I too would like to see more clarity on end game strategy. I think the reason we haven't seen more of that is because we are still largely debating whether or not this even exists or was some scheme cooked up by Soros. I also would like to see some randomized antibody testing done across population to try to determine if maybe we are even approaching herd immunity. From my perspective though the masks and distancing are mostly measured being taken to avoid a spike in cases that would overwhelm hospital system so that when fat old farts like Trump and Christie get sick and need a hospital bed there is one available for them. These measures are mostly about controlling numbers not erradicating the virus...which is hopefully what a vacccinne will take care of shortly.
Last edited by doodle on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

jalanlong wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am how many times has the government instituted a new policy, order or department and then changed course and admit they were mistaken in a relatively short amount of time (not 100 years later)?
Never!
--------------------

https://twitter.com/i/status/1314297485318217728

It was pretty funny. I saw the 60 minutes segment on The Lincoln Project last night.

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re:

Post by WiseOne »

Mountaineer, if that's true they should contact a newspaper, show some hard evidence that this occurred, and get it published. Have the nurses considered doing that?

If this is true and not just an isolated issue with a specific lab, it's potentially a very big deal.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Cortopassi wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:26 pm
Tortoise wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:20 pm This just keeps getting better and better. Check out the new Cooties-19 dance!
I would like you, yes you, Tortoise, to research this and please tell me this was a one off "covid" joke dance that they decided to do, as a joke, among other normal dances.

If you can find proof that the entire dance was all ass to ass like this, then I will have no words, but this has to be a single, let's do something stupid, dance. :o
I traced the video clip back to this tweet by a user named @YellowCube7, but they didn’t provide a source. And to my knowledge, there’s no way to determine the source of a video clip uploaded to Twitter.

Since there’s no source, I’ll just assume it was a single “fun” dance and not the entire prom. Thanks for catching the fake news, Corto!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm
Tortoise wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:20 pm This just keeps getting better and better. Check out the new Cooties-19 dance!
I would like you, yes you, Tortoise, to research this and please tell me this was a one off "covid" joke dance that they decided to do, as a joke, among other normal dances.

If you can find proof that the entire dance was all ass to ass like this, then I will have no words, but this has to be a single, let's do something stupid, dance. :o
I traced the video clip back to this tweet by a user named @YellowCube7, but they didn’t provide a source. And to my knowledge, there’s no way to determine the source of a video clip uploaded to Twitter.

Since there’s no source, I’ll just assume it was a single “fun” dance and not the entire prom. Thanks for catching the fake news, Corto!
Ironic given what "YellowCube7" has under the Twitter name?

VInny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.13 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm

That's what I'm here for. :P
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Masks protect others...not the person wearing them.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Rewrite that. "CDC shows mask wearing prevents 15% of cases"

Does that sound better? Currently there's about 7.83M cases, 215k deaths, .02746 CFR. If we prevented 15% of those cases with 100% mask usage (1.1745M), possibly could have saved (doing the math), ~32,250 deaths of the 215k so far.

I think I did that right.

Is that not a good enough reason?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 am
Rewrite that. "CDC shows mask wearing prevents 15% of cases"

Does that sound better? Currently there's about 7.83M cases, 215k deaths, .02746 CFR. If we prevented 15% of those cases with 100% mask usage (1.1745M), possibly could have saved (doing the math), ~32,250 deaths of the 215k so far.

I think I did that right.

Is that not a good enough reason?
There are around 6 million auto accidents every year in US and approximately 40,000 deaths. Perhaps that number would be 4 times greater in the absence of seatbelt laws. The big difference is that seat belt laws protect your own life..which I can see the argument against...whereas mask laws are meant to protect others lives. I don't understand how wearing a mask is being seen as a 'personal choice's whereas no one is up in arms about seatbelt laws...where it is in fact a personal choice.