Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:58 pm
I absolutely agree that NY/NJ already has herd immunity, and there will be no further large outbreaks here.
According to Gov. Murphy, cases are rising in NJ at the highest rate in months, so he’s considering new restrictions:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/coronavir ... 00731.html
infant (n.): from Latin infans “not able to speak”, from in- "not, opposite of” + fans, present participle of fari “to speak”
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Ah, looks like the Philly area. Northeastern NJ (i.e. NYC suburbs) are fine. That's where the earlier epicenter was - not the rest of the state.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 am

sophie wrote:
Basically I think that there are two possible endpoints to this pandemic (or rather, to the reaction to it). One is that a vaccine widely considered to be effective and safe is produced and administered to enough Americans to achieve herd immunity. The other is that the virus spreads sufficiently to achieve the same result. My money is on #2.
How on earth do we ever get to scenario #2 when we lockdown every time there is a spike of new positives and we seems to be focused on avoiding getting it at all costs? I mean the average citizen thinks 9% of Americans have died already.

https://www.kekstcnc.com/insights/covid ... -edition-4
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am

Meanwhile in "The Peoples Paradise".....

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/0 ... vid-cases/

Guess allowing the protests were not such a great idea after all :P
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 am
sophie wrote:
Basically I think that there are two possible endpoints to this pandemic (or rather, to the reaction to it). One is that a vaccine widely considered to be effective and safe is produced and administered to enough Americans to achieve herd immunity. The other is that the virus spreads sufficiently to achieve the same result. My money is on #2.
How on earth do we ever get to scenario #2 when we lockdown every time there is a spike of new positives and we seems to be focused on avoiding getting it at all costs? I mean the average citizen thinks 9% of Americans have died already.

https://www.kekstcnc.com/insights/covid ... -edition-4
Because the typical politician is not going to use logic and analysis but will, instead, react to the emotional response of the voter?

Otherwise, why have so many schools invested so much unproductive money into hardening their schools in some way so as to offer protection from an active shooter? An extremely unlikely possibility for any school in the country?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 am

Lots of data in this link for Delaware for you data lovers (Vinny, I'm looking at you! ;) ). Note of 515 confirmed and 70 probable = 585 total COVID-19 deaths so far in a population of 974,051, 83% are the age 65+ category and 361 were residents of long-term care facilities. I also thought it was interesting that the most cases are in the 18 to 49 age groups (is that the party hard group together crowd?).

https://myhealthycommunity.dhss.delawar ... ions/state

Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 am

Hal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am

ha!/yikes
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 am
Hal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am

ha!/yikes
Yes, a curfew.... Do they think the virus is spread after dark by Dracula ??
Attachments
Corona Dracula.jpg
Corona Dracula.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 105 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am

Interesting article on neurological effects:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/health/c ... index.html
This is what Pastor Wolfmueller has been dealing with...
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am

Yes it does look like COVID can trigger central nervous system inflammation, or invade the brain directly. So far though, the evidence says that any sequelae (like anosmia) are reversible.

Many viruses do that, including some common everyday cold viruses. With COVID, they're finding out a lot more about it because COVID research is fashionable right now so lots of people are looking into it. Previously, it wasn't a hot research area so there's a lot less known about those other viruses. Here's a few of the worst ones: Measles, polio, diptheria, and mumps. And there are quite a few for which there are no vaccines.

Mother Nature, what on earth possessed you to make viruses??? Bad idea!!
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 am

For "research" purposes I decided to peruse Facebook today to see if I could get an understanding of the minds of people who have bought 100% into the Covid fear and want perpetual school and business closures.

From what I can gather, the majority of them (or at least the ones on Facebook) are female. They are of the opinion that statistics and percentages do not matter and you will realize that when it is YOUR family member that is suffering and dying. Plus they believe the statistics also don't matter because even some people who have have gotten it and not died will have lifelong complications from it. You should not want any child to have to see their parents dying or suffering the rest of their lives for something like this. So as a compassionate society we should try to protect as many people as we possibly can at all costs. If you prioritize anything over lives then you are heartless. For them, any side effects you might mention such as lost jobs, bankrupt businesses, children isolated in their formative years etc. all pale in comparison to the spectre of someone suffering and dying.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:26 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 am
For "research" purposes I decided to peruse Facebook today to see if I could get an understanding of the minds of people who have bought 100% into the Covid fear and want perpetual school and business closures.

From what I can gather, the majority of them (or at least the ones on Facebook) are female. They are of the opinion that statistics and percentages do not matter and you will realize that when it is YOUR family member that is suffering and dying. Plus they believe the statistics also don't matter because even some people who have have gotten it and not died will have lifelong complications from it. You should not want any child to have to see their parents dying or suffering the rest of their lives for something like this. So as a compassionate society we should try to protect as many people as we possibly can at all costs. If you prioritize anything over lives then you are heartless. For them, any side effects you might mention such as lost jobs, bankrupt businesses, children isolated in their formative years etc. all pale in comparison to the spectre of someone suffering and dying.
Right. That's why MBTI F's, especially SF's, should not be in charge of anything other than their immediate families.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0