Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am
there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people.
Do they really 'like' it or are they just willing to put up with it ?
technovelist wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 am

Of course I'm referring to NASCAR, MLB, and the other sports leagues who seem intent on insulting their fans with political crap.
I am sooo sick of politics being forced on me in sports, Hollywood movies/TV, and well, anywhere else that isn't C-Span.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am
jalanlong wrote:
there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people.
technovelist wrote:

Of course I'm referring to NASCAR, MLB, and the other sports leagues who seem intent on insulting their fans with political crap.
I am sooo sick of politics being forced on me in sports, Hollywood movies/TV, and well, anywhere else that isn't C-Span.
Well I am not sure why you would pay hundreds of dollars to attend an event if you didn't actually like it.

The experience at my workplace tells me that there are a lot of people (at least 50%) who LOVE other people and doing things in large groups. I feel like some of them would come to work for free just to be able to talk with other people and be a part of a crowd. These are people that when given the choice by our company a few years back of a monetary bonus or a corporate end of year party out at a club, they chose the party.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 pm

I think a lot of people brave the crowds for the sake of their children.
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 am
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

Well I am not sure why you would pay hundreds of dollars to attend an event if you didn't actually like it.

The experience at my workplace tells me that there are a lot of people (at least 50%) who LOVE other people and doing things in large groups. I feel like some of them would come to work for free just to be able to talk with other people and be a part of a crowd. These are people that when given the choice by our company a few years back of a monetary bonus or a corporate end of year party out at a club, they chose the party.
I'd definitely take the money! And, I set my limit on how much I'll pay for an event. Certainly never hundreds. That is for snobs would will never see local talent perform, which is a far better value.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

You misunderstood. I meant that someone may, for instance, want to see some concert. They dislike the crowd, but are willing to put up with it because they really like the band and want to see them live. They would rather go to a less crowded venue, but the band is only playing huge arenas so they have no choice if they want to see the band.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

You misunderstood. I meant that someone may, for instance, want to see some concert. They dislike the crowd, but are willing to put up with it because they really like the band and want to see them live. They would rather go to a less crowded venue, but the band is only playing huge arenas so they have no choice if they want to see the band.
If that were the case then when a local sports team is playing in a championship game out of town and local fans can watch the game from the comfort of their home, why do thousands of them go sit or stand nut to butt in a public place to attend a "watching party" with a large television there? Because there are a lot of people who like to share experiences with a large crowd. And those are the people who I would have expected to have tired of sheltering in place by now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 am
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

If that were the case then when a local sports team is playing in a championship game out of town and local fans can watch the game from the comfort of their home, why do thousands of them go sit or stand nut to butt in a public place to attend a "watching party" with a large television there? Because there are a lot of people who like to share experiences with a large crowd. And those are the people who I would have expected to have tired of sheltering in place by now.
Or, even WAY, WAY, WAY worse.....going to a NFL game in frigid temperatures!

Vinny
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

Vinny
Many years ago I went to an Eagles game with my father.
I've never been so cold in my life!
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:07 am

technovelist wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
pugchief wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
technovelist wrote:

Vinny
Many years ago I went to an Eagles game with my father.
I've never been so cold in my life!
This is how bad I am! I was at the famous Pedro / Roger game at Yankee Stadium 2000 Memorial Day Weekend (Sunday night ESPN game).

I was in the bleachers with a sweater and leather jacket on. And, I was STILL shivering!

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

I can see how if you stay in one place, it might seem that all of the coronavirus restrictions might make sense and could be good science. All of the small items sound halfway reasonable on the surface.

Today, I drove from Stowe, VT to New Hope, PA.
Via: Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania.

Every 60 minutes was a new set of rules. And not any sort of sense or continuity to them. They were completely random and different every 80 miles. Some states are heavy on quarantine, others are outside dining only. Some are check your temp when you walk in the building. Others are no alcohol without food. Completely random. Fortunately, my ancestral home, South Dakota is on most of the "good" lists. Except for Rhode Island (which I had hoped to visit). If you visit Rhode Island, don't be from South Dakota. But everywhere else is cool.

I have been using this website as a key to clue me in on what to expect. But even, then, every place I go has posters up : "New Order from Governor Fulano : As of tomorrow, yada yada yada"

How could I take any of this seriously, even if I wanted to believe?
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm
I can see how if you stay in one place, it might seem that all of the coronavirus restrictions might make sense and could be good science. All of the small items sound halfway reasonable on the surface.

Today, I drove from Stowe, VT to New Hope, PA.
Via: Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania.

Every 60 minutes was a new set of rules. And not any sort of sense or continuity to them. They were completely random and different every 80 miles. Some states are heavy on quarantine, others are outside dining only. Some are check your temp when you walk in the building. Others are no alcohol without food. Completely random. Fortunately, my ancestral home, South Dakota is on most of the "good" lists. Except for Rhode Island (which I had hoped to visit). If you visit Rhode Island, don't be from South Dakota. But everywhere else is cool.

I have been using this website as a key to clue me in on what to expect. But even, then, every place I go has posters up : "New Order from Governor Fulano : As of tomorrow, yada yada yada"

You've read 1984.
Orwell explained it very well.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for posting this Mark. I hadn't thought about this, but we're about to embark on a trip across country. It's helpful to have this info!