Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Private Schools Are Adapting to Lockdown Better Than the Public School Monopoly

A new survey finds parents are substantially more satisfied with private and charter schools’ responses to the pandemic than they were with those of traditional public schools.

https://reason.com/2020/07/17/private-s ... -monopoly/
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm no fan of the "Defund the Police" movement but if somebody wants to start a "Defund the Public Schools" movement I'm all in.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (72.84 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm
Private Schools Are Adapting to Lockdown Better Than the Public School Monopoly

A new survey finds parents are substantially more satisfied with private and charter schools’ responses to the pandemic than they were with those of traditional public schools.

https://reason.com/2020/07/17/private-s ... -monopoly/
Huh. Who would have guessed that private sector businesses would be more adaptive than public organizations dominated by extremely powerful public employee unions? You learn new things every day.
infant (n.): from Latin infans “not able to speak”, from in- "not, opposite of” + fans, present participle of fari “to speak”
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am
sophie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am
I still wonder if permanent lockdown measures are going to be the thing now. Like the TSA and taking off your shoes at airports are now widely accepted as permanent.
One would think that people would eventually decide they want to live and not merely exist. But the longer this goes on I am not so sure that people don’t forget what it is like to experience concerts or sporting events with large crowds or seeing movies on a big screen. People may just become acclimated to sitting at home living in a bubble on their computers.
I haven't gone to any of those events for decades. Maybe that's why this hasn't been as much of a strain on me as it has been on many people.

And I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:53 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am
sophie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am
I still wonder if permanent lockdown measures are going to be the thing now. Like the TSA and taking off your shoes at airports are now widely accepted as permanent.
One would think that people would eventually decide they want to live and not merely exist. But the longer this goes on I am not so sure that people don’t forget what it is like to experience concerts or sporting events with large crowds or seeing movies on a big screen. People may just become acclimated to sitting at home living in a bubble on their computers.
I haven't gone to any of those events for decades. Maybe that's why this hasn't been as much of a strain on me as it has been on many people.

And I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I'm a super introvert yet I don't mind being in large crowds being pressed up next to other people (such as live music events).

I think that brings up how the term "social distancing" is such a misnomer. It should have been more properly labeled "physical distancing". When those people are so close to me I'm generally practicing "social distancing" by not at all interacting with them even though they are within inches of me.

We've had an opening of some live music events here recently. But it's been confined to outdoors and charged by the carload and being confined to the space around your car. The price being charged per car does not at all make sense for a "one person" carload such as myself. Plus, I'd not have the freedom of movement to take pictures as I normally do.

Vinny

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm

My grandpa doesn't remember who I am. I'd like to see cirrhosis edge out mentail disease in teh top ten. Just a bit.

by that, I mean I would like more people to become degenerate alcoholics. Not sure if that was clear.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:18 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm
My grandpa doesn't remember who I am. I'd like to see cirrhosis edge out mentail disease in teh top ten. Just a bit.

by that, I mean I would like more people to become degenerate alcoholics. Not sure if that was clear.
That’s rough. I remember when my Alzheimer’s-afflicted grandma thought I was her son (my mom’s brother) because I look like him. I was sitting in a booth with Mom across from grandma and she kept telling us how I had aged gracefully, not like her daughter.
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am

technovelist wrote:
I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I'm exactly the same. Crowd hating mild extrovert.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am
technovelist wrote:
I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I love large crowds /sarcasm/ and I'm a mild introvert; in honor of Pugchief, I'd put them right up there with root canals from a BLM endodontist in Portland after he had a night on the town. :)
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am
pugchief wrote:
technovelist wrote:
I love large crowds /sarcasm/ and I'm a mild introvert; in honor of Pugchief, I'd put them right up there with root canals from a BLM endodontist in Portland after he had a night on the town. :)
I agree that I am not a crowds person either. But packed stadiums for sporting events and concerts, sold out movie theaters and places like Disney World suggest that there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people. And 6 months in with no end in sight, I wonder how those people are feeling? Are they itching to get back out and about or is this "new normal" settling in and are they just adjusting to sitting at home, on the computer, "distancing"? And by the time we can ever go to a baseball game again, will they even remember or care what it is like? People can adjust to things over time, even things you think they would never give up.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am
pugchief wrote:
technovelist wrote:
I agree that I am not a crowds person either. But packed stadiums for sporting events and concerts, sold out movie theaters and places like Disney World suggest that there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people. And 6 months in with no end in sight, I wonder how those people are feeling? Are they itching to get back out and about or is this "new normal" settling in and are they just adjusting to sitting at home, on the computer, "distancing"? And by the time we can ever go to a baseball game again, will they even remember or care what it is like? People can adjust to things over time, even things you think they would never give up.
I'm fine with not having such events in the future, and apparently even a lot of people whose living is dependent on having such events don't care if no one wants to go to them.

Of course I'm referring to NASCAR, MLB, and the other sports leagues who seem intent on insulting their fans with political crap.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0