sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by sophie » Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 am

Very illuminating article in the Wall Street Journal today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supersprea ... jem10point

For those who have to deal with paywalls, here are a few excerpts:
Some scientists looking for ways to prevent a return to exponential growth in coronavirus infections after lockdowns are lifted are zeroing in on a new approach: focus on avoiding superspreading events.

The theory is that banning mass public events where hundreds of attendees can infect themselves in the space of a few hours, along with other measures such as wearing face masks, might slow the pace of the new coronavirus’s progression to a manageable level even as shops and factories reopen.

Researchers believe that the explosive growth of coronavirus infections that overwhelmed hospitals in some countries was primarily driven by such events earlier this year—horse races in Britain, carnival festivities in the U.S. and Germany or a soccer match in Italy.
[Professor Michael Small, a lecturer in applied mathematics at the University of Western Australia] modeling shows that lockdowns could be replaced by targeted measures with a much smaller economic impact, such as banning mass events, asking a significant number of white-collar workers to work from home and encouraging widespread use of smartphone contact-tracing apps.
Some of the lessons from the research are already being applied. In Germany, choral singing has been banned from religious services and Bundesliga soccer games are taking place without spectators, while churches in Britain are considering a ticket system to avoid crowding.
Austria will allow cultural events, such as concerts with up to 1,000 visitors, under strict security measures starting from August, while clubs and nightlife venues will remain closed, a government spokesman said, after outbreaks in such establishments in South Korea. A study published this week found that banning mass gatherings had the biggest contribution to bringing the epidemic under control in Germany.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm

How do they plan to deal with public transportation in crowded cities? NY subway, London tube, buses, etc?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm
How do they plan to deal with public transportation in crowded cities? NY subway, London tube, buses, etc?
You saw those intense UV light flashers they are putting on subways in NY, right? Just tell people to close their eyes. ;)

Not really joking though.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Can't speak for London, but NYC is doing several things:

- running buses more frequently so social distancing can be maintained on the bus.
- Increasing Citybike installations.
- Staggering work shifts e.g. instead of everyone starting 8am, stagger start times between 6 and 10 am.
- Limiting on-site employees and continuing mandatory telework

If I need transportation I've been biking, using Uber (drivers are masked) or taking buses. It works. The city should just shut down the subways. They're a de facto homeless encampment and otherwise unusable. I haven't bothered to even try it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/passed-ou ... us-crisis/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Cities in Korea, Taiwan, etc. use crowded mass transit without spreading viruses like wildfire. Maybe we should ask them how they do it?
Joe is just Biden his time now.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu May 21, 2020 3:20 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm
Can't speak for London, but NYC is doing several things:

- running buses more frequently so social distancing can be maintained on the bus.
- Increasing Citybike installations.
- Staggering work shifts e.g. instead of everyone starting 8am, stagger start times between 6 and 10 am.
- Limiting on-site employees and continuing mandatory telework

If I need transportation I've been biking, using Uber (drivers are masked) or taking buses. It works. The city should just shut down the subways. They're a de facto homeless encampment and otherwise unusable. I haven't bothered to even try it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/passed-ou ... us-crisis/
While I can't say I was ever a fan of the subways, they did make it possible, in combination with the LIRR, to live in an only moderately overpriced area of Long Island and commute to work in midtown.

Obviously they have gone seriously downhill (no pun intended) since the mid-90's.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Here in Vancouver, and B.C. largely, we are entering phase 2 of the our economic reopening. Retail shops, hair salons, and many businesses are allowed to reopen. Churches, gyms, and other places with generally large gatherings will be closed for a while longer it looks like.

The other day I put on an old jacket so I could go outside to take a walk. I thought to myself, "Hey this jacket is comfy! Why wasn't I wearing it more often?" Then I remembered. Before the pandemic my arms and shoulders were at a size where wearing the jacket was extremely uncomfortable. Now they've shrunk so that the jacket is comfortable. :-\

At least I have another jacket to wear again.
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.43 KiB) Viewed 237 times
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm
Capture.JPG
And I'm sure many Democrats think that if they get the virus, it's Trump's fault.
Which wouldn't be surprising given the amount of disinformation that high-visibility Democrats have been passing out to the public:
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/m ... us-n382782
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me

Post by pp4me » Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 pm

This is the second article I've read about a study making this claim about marijuana. The first was in Israel where they were just talking about treating patients who had the virus. This one seems to be asserting a prophylactic effect.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/05/ne ... f-covid-19

Unfortunately, if you have to buy your medicine in a state where it's illegal you have no idea if you are getting the strain that had this effect in the study. My daughter from Colorado tells me it's clearly marked in the legal stores but for those of us in other states it's just pot.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

+1

The same thing is happening in Minnesota, where more than 80% of patients who die reside in nursing homes. The state government is demanding that hospitals discharge COVD-19 positive patients to these nursing homes, even as hospital beds go empty and the world-famous Mayo Clinic is going broke. At what point do we demand the recall of the architects of this man-made disaster?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"