Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Xan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:51 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm
May I ask an indelicate question? Who’s going to clear all that away when you pass?
My executor, whoever that ends up being.
Not it
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:07 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 am

vnatale wrote:

dualstow wrote:

May I ask an indelicate question? Who’s going to clear all that away when you pass?

Not it

Do not understand your response...
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:07 am
Xan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 am
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Not it
Do not understand your response...
Xan doesn't want the job.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:42 am

It’s like the opposite of calling dibs, Vinny.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 am

Do masks reduce risk of COVID19 by 53%? How about 80?
Will Evidence Based Medicine Survive COVID19?

https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p ... covid19-by
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:Scientists have lost any consistent standards for evidence appraisal. Non randomized data with dirty measures of exposure and unrealistic effect sizes should set off warning bells. Or, if you want to just believe in things, then go ahead, just believe in them, but don’t pretend you are following a consistent framework for evaluating evidence. And no need to publish papers that don’t prove anything or change anyone’s mind.
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:The truth is we should have run several cluster RCTs in western, high income nations. For kids, adults, in different settings, with variation in masking strategies. We didn’t do it for the same reason people RT the Guardian headline. Faith outpaced evidence when it comes to masks.
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:Scientific truth is just what people believe is true, and critical appraisal only applies to claims embraced by the other tribe or members of the other political party. Let’s call it: the new normal.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 am
Do masks reduce risk of COVID19 by 53%? How about 80?
Will Evidence Based Medicine Survive COVID19?

https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p ... covid19-by
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:Scientists have lost any consistent standards for evidence appraisal. Non randomized data with dirty measures of exposure and unrealistic effect sizes should set off warning bells. Or, if you want to just believe in things, then go ahead, just believe in them, but don’t pretend you are following a consistent framework for evaluating evidence. And no need to publish papers that don’t prove anything or change anyone’s mind.
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:The truth is we should have run several cluster RCTs in western, high income nations. For kids, adults, in different settings, with variation in masking strategies. We didn’t do it for the same reason people RT the Guardian headline. Faith outpaced evidence when it comes to masks.
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH wrote:Scientific truth is just what people believe is true, and critical appraisal only applies to claims embraced by the other tribe or members of the other political party. Let’s call it: the new normal.
I watched the interview with Scott Atlas by Tucker Carlson on Fox Nation last night (I have a free subscription as a veteran). He confirmed everything Mr. Prasad said above.

He said he came to meetings with Fauci, Birx, and company bringing multiple studies with him. They brought none, didn't even cite any, and never even tried to refute the ones he brought. To them, he was just an outlier and nothing he had to say mattered. That he came away with a low opinion of their level of competence except for being good government beaurocrats is an understatement.

Worse than that, he was warned by Jared Kushner when he took the job that some people were going to do everything they could to try to destroy his life. And they did.

A really sad state of affairs in America today. "Trust the science"? GFY!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:56 am

What are we to make of this? US case rates 19th Nov 2020 vs 19th Nov 2021. (From Tom Woods website.)

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Pretty straight forward actually...

1) Cold weather matters
2) In sparsely populated areas it doesn't take much to flip the color if there is an outbreak
3) Pandemic is sooo 2020. All the cool kids are talking about endemic and how to deal with that probable fact of life going forward.

I live in a highly red state and while folks still bridle over restrictions of which there are very few now, no one but no one believes COVID isn't a thing (except for the complete nut jobs).
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:51 pm
Kbg wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 pm
All the cool kids are talking about endemic and how to deal with that probable fact of life going forward.
I think most people here acknowledge this as fact now. The flu has been endemic for years and there were no mask mandates or restrictions of any kind. So what is your take on why certain areas are still imposing them now if this is the case?
I think the science supports wearing masks...but with a ton of common sense stipulations (e.g. mask quality, mask fit, both sides wearing them. Good heavens this isn't rocket science. A barrier is a barrier. The effectiveness of the barrier is directly related to the quality of the barrier.) On the practical side of things for public health, I think it has been pretty much proven globally they don't do much good. The reality is people are not going to wear them 24/7 and likely aren't going to wear them in family and friends settings etc. so COVID is going to do what it does which is spread easily. For me personally, I'd leave it up to individuals and businesses with an exception for medical services. If I were a public health official I'd spend 100% of my advertising $$$ on encouraging people to get the jab vs. wear a mask. In short, the practical evidence indicates masks are a bust while the vax is in fact effective for those who get it.

I've spent a ton of time in Asia and I was hoping COVID would entice Americans to be more like what you see there. People who have colds, flu etc. and go out into public spaces generally wear a mask. Not because the government forces them to nor to protect themselves but as a courtesy to others. Don't see that happening given the politicization of COVID in the US which I think is unfortunate.

A small rant...I think as a country we handled this whole thing really poorly. It didn't need to be as divisive as it became...we can thank our wonderful politicians on both sides for that. I guess leadership by example isn't a thing anymore.
Last edited by Kbg on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:51 am

"People who have colds, flu etc. and go out into public spaces generally wear a mask."

Interesting. So when people have coughs, runny nose, congestion, difficulty breathing, most contagious.... They put on a mask, making it more difficult to breathe... And inhaling what their body is attempting to expel.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:53 am

Having not known any better, I thought the Asians wear the mask because of air pollution in places like China, presumably to catch particulate.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am

murphy_p_t wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:51 am
"People who have colds, flu etc. and go out into public spaces generally wear a mask."

Interesting. So when people have coughs, runny nose, congestion, difficulty breathing, most contagious.... They put on a mask, making it more difficult to breathe... And inhaling what their body is attempting to expel.
Yeah crazy isn't it. People who will self-sacrifice for the good of others. Pure insanity.

And they do wear masks for pollution as well.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:15 am

Oh, I thought self sacrifice meant staying at home when you're not well.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:15 am

How often do they change the handkerchief strap to their face when they are sick?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:42 am

Murph...not going there with you.

I really don't care how you chose to look at the world. Your life, your cynicism, rock on buddy.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am

Serious questions. No, I don't think I have COVID.

If you get it, under what situation should you go to the hospital?
What do they do for it in the hospital? All I know about is that the last step, the Hail Mary, is putting you on the ventilator. What comes before that?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am

You can get an injection or infusion of monoclonal antibodies. I don't think it needs to be done at a hospital, even. That seems to be the thing to do now to arrest the progress.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am

What do they do for it in the hospital? All I know about is that the last step, the Hail Mary, is putting you on the ventilator. What comes before that?
Find your monoclonal antibody site.
https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/th ... stribution

Find a doctor that will prescribe IVM so you know where to go when you need it.

Last time I heard from someone in hospital, they were just getting vitamin c, d and zinc.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am

You want to get your behind to the hospital if you encounter breathing problems of any kind or get low in oxygen. You can buy those finger tip oxygen monitors like they stick on you during a doctor's visit online or perhaps at your local drug store/medical device place. If you are using one of those anything below 90 that lasts is a good time to go before it gets too serious and you can't get there other than in an ambulance.

Hope you don't get it if you are older. It sucks even if you don't end up in the hospital which odds are you won't. However, what I learned talking to friends and work colleagues who got it while I had it is that it is different for everyone. I'd say in my sample size of maybe 15-20 I asked the most common initial symptoms were what feels like a bad head cold combined with a pretty good headache. That's typical of a lot of seasonal things, but the headache feels more like a standard bad headache vs. one caused by congestion. Hard to explain if you haven't had it. After a couple of days when it kicks in most had a complete lack of energy. After those three things, it seems to be unique to you for the rest of the common COVID symptoms.

Never made it to the hospital so no personal experience with that. People I do know who went were mostly sent home with some drugs, and/or got IVs and then were sent home. The only one's I know who stayed had respiratory issues and then the ability to breathe or not drove the rest of the treatment.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:11 pm

This video really captures what it is like living in Melbourne.
Could not have described it any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwaM8exIko
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 pm

This popped up on YouTube for me.

Sounds like this doctor was ousted from Houston Methodist and tarnished to media for not having same opinion on ivermectin and monoclonal antibodies.

https://youtu.be/KVwm-KJvGzk
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:11 pm

I couldn't imagine.

I have worn a mask for maybe 5 minutes total over the last 6 months and no other restrictions.

Are people trying to get their wealth out of country now?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:42 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 pm
Hal wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:11 pm

I couldn't imagine.

I have worn a mask for maybe 5 minutes total over the last 6 months and no other restrictions.

Are people trying to get their wealth out of country now?
Getting money out of the country - Don't know. Suspect people would be rather quiet about that.
What I do know is both local and foreign companies are holding off on capital investment.

Gone like Japan in the 90's - massive Gov't spending on un-needed infrastructure
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:17 am

You are an Enemy of the State if you object to forced/mandated vaccination
https://old.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusCir ... an_psycho/

Native Australians/Aboriginals being...moved
https://old.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusCir ... next_step/
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:40 am

From the FoxNews website this morning....
'Dramatically DIfferent'

'Heavily mutated' COVID-19 variant described as 'HORRIFIC,' sparks emergency WHO meeting"

Stocks, oil sink on new COVID-19 variant
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Stay home. Stay safe everybody.

I think this story was perfectly captured in a movie. It was call The Truman Show.