Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 am

Maddy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:18 am
I am, at the moment, beginning the workup of a wrongful death case involving one of the many victims of this political stunt who were locked down and therefore unable to obtain monitoring and treatment for cancer. It was my friend, and I watched the whole fricking thing unfold from beginning to end.
I remember you mentioned that a while back. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Maddy.

I think we will all be curious to hear about what transpires with that wrongful death lawsuit. I'm not optimistic but it would be interesting to hear your concerns aired. How far are you willing to push that case? I could see it ending up at pretty high court levels if you keep appealing.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:35 am

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bidens ... n-doing-it

I am very confused. Most every major city already has a mask mandate and has for quite some time. At this point the only places that do not have one are very rural towns. I have not seen any widespread flaunting of the mask rules in my city at all. So if anything the recent rise in cases would suggest masks are not really effective, not that we need to "mask harder." What am I missing here? Or is this pure signaling with the appearance of just doing "something" to make people feel better?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 am

Humans are amazing when they want to be, part one million:

Hopefully this can be rolled out faster than expected and we can return to something normal in the first half of 2021!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/heal ... e=Homepage

The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19, a promising development as the world has waited anxiously for any positive news about a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people.

Pfizer, which developed the vaccine with the German drugmaker BioNTech, released only sparse details from its clinical trial, based on the first formal review of the data by an outside panel of experts.

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.

----------And for the conspiracy minded-----------

The news comes just days after Joseph R. Biden Jr. clinched a victory over President Trump in the presidential election.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:35 am
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bidens ... n-doing-it

I am very confused. Most every major city already has a mask mandate and has for quite some time. At this point the only places that do not have one are very rural towns. I have not seen any widespread flaunting of the mask rules in my city at all. So if anything the recent rise in cases would suggest masks are not really effective, not that we need to "mask harder." What am I missing here? Or is this pure signaling with the appearance of just doing "something" to make people feel better?
I'll continue to wear a mask when I go to public places as long as our county's mandate is in effect. I will not wear one when I am simply outside the house working in the yard or riding my bike through the neighborhood. That seems to be what Biden has in mind though it's hard to figure out what he really intends to do since he has backtracked on so many things he's said.

If it comes to that it's time for civil disobedience IMHO.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 am
Humans are amazing when they want to be, part one million:

Hopefully this can be rolled out faster than expected and we can return to something normal in the first half of 2021!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/heal ... e=Homepage

The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19, a promising development as the world has waited anxiously for any positive news about a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people.

Pfizer, which developed the vaccine with the German drugmaker BioNTech, released only sparse details from its clinical trial, based on the first formal review of the data by an outside panel of experts.

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.

----------And for the conspiracy minded-----------

The news comes just days after Joseph R. Biden Jr. clinched a victory over President Trump in the presidential election.
I'm guessing they decided to wait until after the election for financial reasons rather than political. Allowing it to be labeled as the "Trump Vaccine" would have been bad for business.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm
I'm guessing they decided to wait until after the election for financial reasons rather than political. Allowing it to be labeled as the "Trump Vaccine" would have been bad for business.
Last I checked, Trump is President until at least Jan 20 (and possibly four years beyond that, depending on the outcome of the legal battle), so it could still be labeled the "Trump Vaccine".

It's not like the MSM's coronation of Biden on Saturday gave Pfizer's scientists the innovative nudge they needed to finally identify the last piece of the biochemical puzzle unlocking the secret to developing their vaccine. ::)
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm
pp4me wrote:
Last I checked, Trump is President until at least Jan 20 (and possibly four years beyond that, depending on the outcome of the legal battle), so it could still be labeled the "Trump Vaccine".

It's not like the MSM's coronation of Biden on Saturday gave Pfizer's scientists the innovative nudge they needed to finally identify the last piece of the biochemical puzzle unlocking the secret to developing their vaccine. ::)
I have been waiting for over a year for an employee stock program that was closed in a merger with my old company to be approved for distribution by the IRS. This morning the funds finally hit my account. The MSM is right, my life has improved dramatically since Biden won the election! F*ckin Biden is a miracle worker!!!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm
pp4me wrote:

Yes, Cuomo is still saying it can't be trusted as long as Trump is president which Pfizer probably isn't too happy about. I suspect he'll change his tune as soon as Biden and his trusted team are able to take a look and give it their seal of approval. And figure out how to take credit for it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Pfizer did not take government funds and was not part of Warp Speed.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:30 pm
Pfizer did not take government funds and was not part of Warp Speed.
As usual, it's not that straightforward:

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce an Agreement with U.S. Government for up to 600 Million Doses of mRNA-based Vaccine Candidate Against SARS-CoV-2 (July 22, 2020)

They didn't take R&D money, but they have a contract for the manufacturing, distribution and purchase of the drug as part of Operation Warp Speed. Does the R&D happen without the advance purchase agreement? Hard to say.

From the Operation Warp Speed Fact Sheet:
The federal government is making investments in the necessary manufacturing capacity at its own risk, giving firms confidence that they can invest aggressively in development and allowing faster distribution of an eventual vaccine.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:01 pm

A little fun/normality injected here -- pandemic? What pandemic?

https://youtu.be/hVsffhJKvJA?t=40

After this, all the kids not only have to test before leaving at Thanksgiving, the result needs to come back negative, or ND won't let you leave.

Also, if you purposely don't get tested, you'll not be allowed to register for spring.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:16 pm

By "ND won't let you leave," I assume you mean they'd suspend or expel the student if they leave anyways? I don't think ND has the legal right to physically restrain any students.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:16 pm
By "ND won't let you leave," I assume you mean they'd suspend or expel the student if they leave anyways? I don't think ND has the legal right to physically restrain any students.
Yeah, some sort of academic penalty.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:14 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:01 pm
People who are on the spectrum often think about issues in very concrete terms that relate directly to themselves rather than in more abstract terms that relate to other people.
I would disagree with that thesis. It may look like people on the spectrum are incapable of thinking about issues in terms of how they affect or are perceived by other people, but in my experience the real issue is that this subgroup of people tends to process information differently. Instead of picking up instinctively on nuances and subtle social cues, people with autistic traits often require information be presented in a more concrete, logical way. A person on the spectrum may be entirely unable to discern what is meant by a disapproving glance, but when told "Your talking for 10 minutes straight is causing people to be bored," they can incorporate and appreciate the other person's meaning quite well. When you think about a busy workplace, where a person is continually bombarded with information conveyed by way of subtleties and social cues, it doesn't take long before a person on the spectrum gets labeled as somebody who lacks empathy or concern for others, when in fact it may be a case of the person simply not "getting it."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:28 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:14 pm
Instead of picking up instinctively on nuances and subtle social cues, people with autistic traits often require information be presented in a more concrete, logical way. A person on the spectrum may be entirely unable to discern what is meant by a disapproving glance, but when told "Your talking for 10 minutes straight is causing people to be bored," they can incorporate and appreciate the other person's meaning quite well.
I really liked this description, Maddy.
Mark
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am

So Biden is saying we are in for a "very dark winter". Laughable....lots of COVID positive tests (which is how you should translate "cases" as reported in the media) but deaths will be pretty much within the norm for flu season.

What are you all planning for the "dark winter", which I presume is his way of signaling nationally enforced lockdowns? He doesn't say he will do that specifically in his todo list, but I don't know how else to translate this reference. I also suspect we will start hearing efforts to ban family holiday gatherings.

Interestingly, in my immediate family there are (so far as I am aware) two Trump voters besides me. One is my sister who is an ER doc, having been on the front lines of COVID back in March & April, and who still wears a mask in the house and is terrified of catching COVID at work and passing it to her kids. The other is my mother, who firmly believes that the COVID scare is overblown. None of us ever really discussed our voting choice except a couple of passing comments - none of which I initiated. My brother on the other hand, is a rabid anti-Trump type who has said stuff like hooray for the end of fascism, and fits in quite well with his state of residence (CA).

This background is interesting because of how we have all decided to handle the holidays: we are getting together for a series of visits and to heck with the rules. This is because COVID is indeed a thing but we all believe that this concern has to be balanced with my mother's quality of life & mental health - and that it's not the government's business to judge this for us.

Interesting how a fundamentally libertarian outlook interacts with voting decisions....seems kind of random, doesn't it?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am

North Dakota hospitals at 100% capacity

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2020/11/10/burg ... apacity/
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:38 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am
So Biden is saying we are in for a "very dark winter". Laughable....lots of COVID positive tests (which is how you should translate "cases" as reported in the media) but deaths will be pretty much within the norm for flu season.

What are you all planning for the "dark winter", which I presume is his way of signaling nationally enforced lockdowns? He doesn't say he will do that specifically in his todo list, but I don't know how else to translate this reference. I also suspect we will start hearing efforts to ban family holiday gatherings.

Interestingly, in my immediate family there are (so far as I am aware) two Trump voters besides me. One is my sister who is an ER doc, having been on the front lines of COVID back in March & April, and who still wears a mask in the house and is terrified of catching COVID at work and passing it to her kids. The other is my mother, who firmly believes that the COVID scare is overblown. None of us ever really discussed our voting choice except a couple of passing comments - none of which I initiated. My brother on the other hand, is a rabid anti-Trump type who has said stuff like hooray for the end of fascism, and fits in quite well with his state of residence (CA).

This background is interesting because of how we have all decided to handle the holidays: we are getting together for a series of visits and to heck with the rules. This is because COVID is indeed a thing but we all believe that this concern has to be balanced with my mother's quality of life & mental health - and that it's not the government's business to judge this for us.

Interesting how a fundamentally libertarian outlook interacts with voting decisions....seems kind of random, doesn't it?
Our covid response is indicative of our inability to agree on facts. Not because they don't exist, or they are complicated and ever evolving...but because facts have become political pawns. We can disagree and compromise on what to do in response to facts, but absent any facts at all..... when reality runs the gamut of...covid is the black plague vs. covid doesn't exist at all...we are doomed.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:04 am

doodle wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am

Perfectly normal for this time of year. Remember that hospitals like to stay at 95%+ capacity all year round. During flu season, it is not uncommon for hospitals to fill up and go into bypass mode, where ambulances are directed to nearby hospitals that have capacity. They also typically have plans for expanding capacity, so the real ceiling is something like 105% of usual max. Depends on the hospital though.

You may be interested in this historical article reporting on hospital capacity issues during the 2017-2018 flu season:

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-hand ... -patients/

Somehow, the world did not come to an end and I bet you never noticed anything was amiss. I'm going to guess we will see the same type of articles this winter, except with an added level of hysteria because COVID, plus you will be far more aware of them than you were in years past. That won't make it any more severe.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:19 am

Saw an interesting sign along the road today.

It said, in big letters, COVIDivorce and underneath were the names of two attorneys.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:04 am
doodle wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am

Perfectly normal for this time of year. Remember that hospitals like to stay at 95%+ capacity all year round. During flu season, it is not uncommon for hospitals to fill up and go into bypass mode, where ambulances are directed to nearby hospitals that have capacity. They also typically have plans for expanding capacity, so the real ceiling is something like 105% of usual max. Depends on the hospital though.

You may be interested in this historical article reporting on hospital capacity issues during the 2017-2018 flu season:

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-hand ... -patients/

Somehow, the world did not come to an end and I bet you never noticed anything was amiss. I'm going to guess we will see the same type of articles this winter, except with an added level of hysteria because COVID, plus you will be far more aware of them than you were in years past. That won't make it any more severe.
So this is just going to be a normal flu season?

https://www.thestreet.com/mishtalk/econ ... the-deaths

------------
A Milan crematory said it couldn’t keep up with the number of deaths and stopped accepting for cremation the bodies of nonresidents who die in the city. A temporary hospital set up in April at Milan’s trade-fair center has reopened.

The Policlinico and Milan’s other hospitals are racing to discharge non-Covid patients as quickly as possible to free up space.

A month ago, Lombardy had just 41 Covid patients in intensive care and 361 occupying non-ICU beds. On Sunday, those numbers had jumped to 650 and 6,225
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 pm
So this is just going to be a normal flu season?
So far it's following the expected rise in hospitalizations that always occurs during flu season....so the answer is "so far, yes".

Go check out that Ivor Cummins video I posted. The fact that you asked this question says that you haven't seen it. It contains a very thorough answer to your question.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:46 pm

"We copied China" and "fell in love with lockdowns" -- two quotes that stuck in my head from the video.

It seems lockdowns continue to be a doubling down of efforts that don't seem to have worked, ok, I get that. Just like cholesterol, the "good" level has dropped multiple times over the years to get more people on statins with no corresponding drop in heart attacks. Very few people are willing to stand up and say "maybe we are wrong?"

But, now that we are dead in it, there seems no way out other than a vaccine and eventually, hopefully not in the too far future, many post mortems that show more often the lockdowns were the wrong thing to do, vs. become the norm in future years.

But, -- if Covid already culled a large portion of those who would have been at risk of dying from flu, why are we still seeing these seemingly out of normal increases in hospitalizations/deaths? Wouldn't many of those have succumbed already?

Data in this chart is a bit stale, and seems higher than the CDC one:

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:46 pm
But, -- if Covid already culled a large portion of those who would have been at risk of dying from flu, why are we still seeing these seemingly out of normal increases in hospitalizations/deaths? Wouldn't many of those have succumbed already?
I've asked this question many times before, so I'm sorry to be a broken record, but...

How many of those people who recently died after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 were also tested for the flu or the common cold? Are the doctors who are filling out the death certificates fairly certain that those patients are dying as a result of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and not because of the flu or common cold viruses?

Let's put our thinking caps on and imagine what sorts of graphs we would be seeing if every SARS-CoV-2 test were accompanied by a flu and cold test...
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:46 pm
I've asked this question many times before, so I'm sorry to be a broken record, but...

How many of those people who recently died after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 were also tested for the flu or the common cold? Are the doctors who are filling out the death certificates fairly certain that those patients are dying as a result of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and not because of the flu or common cold viruses?

Let's put our thinking caps on and imagine what sorts of graphs we would be seeing if every SARS-CoV-2 test were accompanied by a flu and cold test...
I think what I'm asking is cause-independent, mostly. If we had 200k+ excess deaths, from whatever reason, Covid or Covid induced, or heart attacks, or stress, between say Feb and Sept, then it would stand to reason that unless Covid (or something else) is still killing at a higher rate than "normal" that we should drop below the 5 year average of excess deaths?