vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
Smith, thanks for the link. I agree with Vinny, it was an excellent interview. Also depressing.
I'd also add that I believe that Bill Gates is the type who Under Promises But Over Delivers compared to our politician prototype who Over Promises But Under Delivers.

I could not believe yesterday how self-congratulatory they were towards one another because for one of the rare times they acted like the rest of us do. Look at a problem and solve it rather than taking fixed, rigid positions because.....that's just what I believe.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
Smith, thanks for the link. I agree with Vinny, it was an excellent interview. Also depressing.
I'd also add that I believe that Bill Gates is the type who Under Promises But Over Delivers compared to our politician prototype who Over Promises But Under Delivers.

I could not believe yesterday how self-congratulatory they were towards one another because for one of the rare times they acted like the rest of us do. Look at a problem and solve it rather than taking fixed, rigid positions because.....that's just what I believe. And, Party must come first BEFORE country!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10180&start=108#p190813

Vinny
Thanks that is quite a teaser. I’ll be reading it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Which of you can identify who is in this picture? I nominate Dualstow for getting it first.

And, how many better ways could the virus be transmitted than by those water suppliers in the picture!!??

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm
vnatale wrote:

Here it is:

Vinny
On the first page I thought this is not going to be a good book. Why is he telling us about this random guy on the internet. Then the big twist.

I just finished the book tonight. It's one that deserves to be read more slowly and studied so as to put into practice what the book proscribes.

I decided I need to have a permanent reference copy. The copy I read was a library copy. So a short while ago I purchased a Kindle version. While I'm rereading it it will then allow me to send out excerpts of it to various places.

I saw a lot of descriptions in it where my organization is making errors of "intelligence" Hopefully, with this new found knowledge, I can assist in correcting those errors.

But primarily I read it to correct some of my own errors in thinking (something to which I'd guess Libertarian666 (and some others here) believes is WAY overdue!).

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Maddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Anyone see the clip of the Michigan legislator who begins shrieking like a crazed mental patient about CoVid-19 and who threatens, "You will see darkness!" https://www.zerohedge.com/political/you ... re-fueling
I think she’s the one Vinny was posting about this morning.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm
vnatale wrote:

Here it is:

Vinny
On the first page I thought this is not going to be a good book. Why is he telling us about this random guy on the internet. Then the big twist.

I just finished the book tonight. It's one that deserves to be read more slowly and studied so as to put into practice what the book proscribes.

I decided I need to have a permanent reference copy. The copy I read was a library copy. So a short while ago I purchased a Kindle version. While I'm rereading it it will then allow me to send out excerpts of it to various places.

I saw a lot of descriptions in it where my organization is making errors of "intelligence" Hopefully, with this new found knowledge, I can assist in correcting those errors.

But primarily I read it to correct some of my own errors in thinking (something to which I'd guess Libertarian666 (and some others here) believes is WAY overdue!).

Vinny
I look forward with interest to your discoveries.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 pm
Maddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Anyone see the clip of the Michigan legislator who begins shrieking like a crazed mental patient about CoVid-19 and who threatens, "You will see darkness!" https://www.zerohedge.com/political/you ... re-fueling
I think she’s the one Vinny was posting about this morning.
Yes. Friday afternoon. Just after I'd seen it live.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm

"1920: Alcohol is prohibited

2020: Liquor stores are an essential business during a national health crisis"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.86 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:58 pm

These free online exercise offers will help keep you fit and sane during the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.fastcompany.com/90481514/th ... ontent=rss
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 pm
Capture.JPG
Is there an equivalent chart looking at deaths or hospitalizations? Total cases is more of a chart of how much testing is being done.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:04 am

Understanding the Economic Shock of Coronavirus

https://hbr.org/2020/03/understanding-t ... oronavirus
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 am

President Trump 'called Alex Rodriguez for feedback on his administration's coronavirus response' as US soars past 100,000 cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailymailus
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:15 am

Coronavirus: St. Johns County closing beaches after criticism about large crowds Saturday

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200 ... s-saturday
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:18 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.68 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 am
President Trump 'called Alex Rodriguez for feedback on his administration's coronavirus response' as US soars past 100,000 cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailymailus
Trump said this is fake news.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am

So what is we do with all the Covid graphs and info? Ditto the Trump bashing during the middle of a crisis? Any particular specific actions other than feeding gasoline on our internal fires that try to burn up our realization that it is not we who are in control?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:37 am

"Four counties – Blaine County, Idaho; Summit County, Utah; and Eagle County and Gunnison County, Colorado – lead the nation in per capita rates of confirmed cases outside New York and Louisiana, according to a USA Today analysis.

Though rural, the areas are all affluent, mountain-ringed ski and hiking hamlets that see millions of visitors each year."

It's the new Affluenza. In the Rio favelas they have armed patrols seeking to keep out the "rich people's disease"
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm

That's funny, here they're "closed until further notice." I went for a stroll today; walking by a liquor store, I saw a guy stand there and look at that sign for maybe 15 seconds. Poor fella just wants to relax into a nice black out.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm

That's funny, here they're "closed until further notice." I went for a stroll today; walking by a liquor store, I saw a guy stand there and look at that sign for maybe 15 seconds. Poor fella just wants to relax into a nice black out.
As I posted a few days ago (with attendant newspaper article)....here they are open and their business is booming.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm extremely fortunate in that I stocked up on tons of booze a couple weeks before everything got shut down. I think it's inhumane to expect people to go through this madness without being at least a little tipsy. People are home all day with their children, for god's sake! People can only be pushed so far when they're sober.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am
So what is we do with all the Covid graphs and info? Ditto the Trump bashing during the middle of a crisis? Any particular specific actions other than feeding gasoline on our internal fires that try to burn up our realization that it is not we who are in control?
The takeaway for me on a concrete, personal level is that if any politician, at any level, of any party, says it's say to go out in the near future and resume normal life in the USA they are out-and-out lying. They are lying to save their career, reputation, power, whatever it is that these malignant narcissists who run our world crave (and there are many, not only Trump). Save yourself, save your family, save your neighbors, stay home. Dig into your beautiful HBPP's if you need to, but stay home until there are widely deployed therapies, a vaccine visibly on the way, and enough doctors, nurses, beds, ventilators, and supplies to care for you if you do get sick. Dear God, it's not about Trump, that's his obsession... it's always about him. And his followers think it's always about him. It's not. He's almost irrelevant.

He had abdicated government. We have to take care of ourselves. This is the reality in America today. The most trusted people are your State and County health departments on the 5:00 PM news every night. The people you know and trust and who are taking on accountability, though the POTUS said he is not accountable. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we should be a less centralized country.

I don't buy this "who could have known crap". I wrote an email to my family in Seattle dated 1/22/2020 saying, "Um, let's wait until we get more clarity on this virus in China before I come visit you". And whom am I? I'm Nobody. On 2/1/2020 in my diary I recorded that I was making portfolio changes because of the virus. And I sold most of my stocks in February (see VP threads). And I started disinfecting the public lab computers I use at Lone Star College back in February. People thought I was nuts. No longer. College is closed, of course.

It's a terrible indictment when a Nobody like me takes visible, concrete actions faster than the POTUS.
Last edited by ochotona on Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:41 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am
The takeaway for me on a concrete, personal level is that if any politician, at any level, of any party, says it's say to go out in the near future and resume normal life in the USA they are out-and-out lying. They are lying to save their career, reputation, power, whatever it is that these malignant narcissists who run our world crave (and there are many, not only Trump). Save yourself, save your family, save your neighbors, stay home. Dig into your beautiful HBPP's if you need to, but stay home until there are widely deployed therapies, a vaccine visibly on the way, and enough doctors, nurses, beds, ventilators, and supplies to care for you if you do get sick. Dear God, it's not about Trump, that's his obsession... it's always about him. And his followers think it's always about him. It's not. He's almost irrelevant.

He had abdicated government. We have to take care of ourselves. This is the reality in America today. The most trusted people are your State and County health departments on the 5:00 PM news every night. The people you know and trust and who are taking on accountability, though the POTUS said he is not accountable. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we should be a less centralized country.

I don't buy this "who could have known crap". I wrote an email to my family in Seattle dated 1/22/2020 saying, "Um, let's wait until we get more clarity on this virus in China before I come visit you". And whom am I? I'm Nobody. On 2/1/2020 in my diary I recorded that I was making portfolio changes because of the virus. And I sold most of my stocks in February (see VP threads). And I started disinfecting the public lab computers I use at Lone Star College back in February. People thought I was nuts. No longer.

It's a terrible indictment when a Nobody like me takes visible, concrete actions faster than the POTUS.
WELL said!!! Thank you!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:03 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 pm
Capture.JPG
Is there an equivalent chart looking at deaths or hospitalizations? Total cases is more of a chart of how much testing is being done.
That is exactly the problem - it's very hard to compare across countries, or even states with different testing policies. We're finding out now the extent of the un-tested, asymptomatic carrier problem:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ve-got-it/
Such undocumented cases are still contagious and the study found them to be the source of most of the virus’s spread in China before the restrictions came in. Even though these people were only 55 per cent as contagious as people with symptoms, the study found that they were the source of 79 per cent of further infections, due to there being more of them, and the higher likelihood that they were out and about.
So given that - would you argue that the lockdown measures are going to be proven to be next to useless for controlling viral spread? That may be, but, would people have simply accepted the message of "you're going to get the virus no matter what, so just keep working and don't worry about it until you get sick"? Kinda doubt it. There would have been social upheaval and economic harm, as well as a raft of conspiracy theories, either way.