Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale »

SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:44 pm Coronovirus worship is a religion, and Fauci is the high Priest.

Non-believers will be stoned to economic death.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/californ ... -lockdowns
I'd love to get Mathjak's current opinion on this?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

For those opposing masks, can you comment.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas ... 22120.php

In Physics of Fluids, by AIP Publishing, researchers tested how five different types of mask materials impacted the spread of droplets that carry the coronavirus when we cough or sneeze.

Every material tested dramatically reduced the number of droplets that were spread. But at distances of less than 6 feet, enough droplets to potentially cause illness still made it through several of the materials.

"A mask definitely helps, but if the people are very close to each other, there is still a chance of spreading or contracting the virus," said Krishna Kota, an associate professor at New Mexico State University and one of the article's authors. "It's not just masks that will help. It's both the masks and distancing."

At the university, researchers built a machine that uses an air generator to mimic human coughs and sneezes. The generator was used to blow tiny liquid particles, like the airborne droplets of sneezes and coughs, through laser sheets in an airtight square tube with a camera.

They blocked the flow of the droplets in the tube with five different types of mask materials -- a regular cloth mask, a two-layer cloth mask, a wet two-layer cloth mask, a surgical mask, and a medical-grade N-95 mask.

Each of the masks captured the vast majority of droplets, ranging from the regular cloth mask, which allowed about 3.6% of the droplets to go through, to the N-95 mask, which statistically stopped 100% of the droplets. But at distances of less than 6 feet, even those small percentages of droplets can be enough to get someone sick, especially if a person with COVID-19 sneezes or coughs multiple times.

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm For those opposing masks, can you comment.

I oppose masks because they only draw out the process. Getting us to the same eventuality, more slowly and with more economic destruction.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

The goal isn't to prevent "droplets", it's to slow down the rate of infection. It seems that every study that actually looks at THAT discovers that masks do little or nothing.

In the lab, do they prevent droplets? Looks like it. In the real world, do they keep people from getting sick? That's a much harder question to answer, it certainly doesn't follow from the lab/droplet question, and it looks like the answer might be no.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:53 pm
doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm For those opposing masks, can you comment.

I oppose masks because they only draw out the process. Getting us to the same eventuality, more slowly and with more economic destruction.
How do masks cause economic destruction? Isn't more slowly better than all at once if ICU have finite capacity?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

I oppose masks because I'm sick of looking at peoples stupid masks
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:15 pm
doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm
For those opposing masks, can you comment.

I oppose masks because I'm sick of looking at peoples stupid masks

i oppose masks because the REAL VIRUS is stupidity..
if you are around someone elderly, sick, or co-morbid.. learn how a mask really works, and how different types do different things and wear one
every one else with a mask on is just displaying that they have contracted the stupid virus and are for the most part engaged in completely illogical nonsense... jogging in masks, cloth masks, alone in the car with masks, sneeking up on people without masks and shrieking at them to put a mask on... aarrrgggg!!!

I do not have anything ready in my arsenal to dispute anything you have to say.

Therefore, I will go in a tangential direction.

From my memory you are not a young person. I think maybe in my age bracket.

Therefore you have decades of experiences / memories to answer my next question.

How many other things that American people commonly do do you believe are or have been similarly nonsensical.

Before I send this I'm going to spend five minutes thinking about it to see if I can think of any.

Okay, I have my first one.

It seems that a high percentage of people slavishly obey those "sell by" or "best used by" dates on food or medicine. I totally ignore them. What do you do with them? Obey or ignore?

This one may not fit but maybe it does. If people get a dent on their car, they pay to get it fixed. I'll only do so if it mandatory to pass inspection or it affects the purpose of the car. The purpose of a car is to get you reliably from point A or point B at (for me) a reasonable price. How it looks on the outside (which one cannot even see while driving) should never be a concern. Maybe it may fit because it the behavior of so many may be a response to all those years and decades of brainwashing car commercials one is constantly exposed to?

What do you do when your vehicle gets a dent as I so describe?

Okay. I came up with two. Now I can send.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
i am with you on both counts, medicine just gets weaker generally, and food that goes bad tends to show it, some caveats on prescription medication, and perishable groceries... you have to use common sense or self educate.. but on preserved food and OTC medication i let the dates go by.. same on car dents and paint issues... makes no difference to me (ex wife was a gold card customer at the body shop... i went along to get along.. ;) )...

I used to buy this expensive jelly. I made a major change in my diet in 2015 and that jelly was no longer part of it but I still kept the jar or two I had left.

A few months ago I took one out of the cabinet. It had an expiration date of July 2012! I know for certain that it would have been automatically thrown out many, many years ago by several people Know. Blind obedience to the date.

Me? I opened the jar. It still had that powerful noise such jars make then you open them. That was the first good sign . Looked inside. No visible mold. Second good sign. Smelled it. No off odor. Third good sign. Decided to eat it Just mixing it in a bowl with peanut butter. Tasted just like I'd bought it the prior week!

With food I go by both appearance and smell. Either mold or an off smell tells me it goes.

I chose not to eat sugar products. But I absolutely hate vinegar. You can drive me out of a room by you using it too liberally on your food. People have tried to slip it by me in foods but I can detect the smallest amounts since it is so distasteful to me.

Gone bad food has this odious sour, vinegry smell to me and there is no way I'm going to touch it. Therefore, out it goes!

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
i am with you on both counts, medicine just gets weaker generally, and food that goes bad tends to show it, some caveats on prescription medication, and perishable groceries... you have to use common sense or self educate.. but on preserved food and OTC medication i let the dates go by.. same on car dents and paint issues... makes no difference to me (ex wife was a gold card customer at the body shop... i went along to get along.. ;) )...

But now I am realizing after I responded that you'd not come up with even one of your own!

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
vnatale wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:17 pm
Simonjester wrote:

But now I am realizing after I responded that you'd not come up with even one of your own!

Vinny
- hoarding TP comes to mind, but that is corona related ? ? ?? some how...?
- shampoo for men is another one, i am in the shower i have a bar of soap in my hands.. i wash my hair.. works the same..

First one I'd not count for several reason I am not going to go into here.

The second? I think I tried soap. But it does not seem to be the same. Is there a specific shampoo formulated for men's hair? I don't think that is what you were saying but had to be clear. I buy the cheapest you can buy and only use the tiniest amounts each time. However, I'm using a lot more due to having maybe more beard hair than hair on my head. Or, it could be somewhat of a tie at this point.
Simonjester wrote:
any shampoo. although i bet there are men's formulas ::)

whats the difference? clean is clean...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:

The second? I think I tried soap. But it does not seem to be the same. Is there a specific shampoo formulated for men's hair? I don't think that is what you were saying but had to be clear. I buy the cheapest you can buy and only use the tiniest amounts each time. However, I'm using a lot more due to having maybe more beard hair than hair on my head. Or, it could be somewhat of a tie at this point.

Vinny

whats the difference? clean is clean...

It has been so long ago that i can only think that the soap was extremely drying to my hair.

At this point, using the cheap shampoo seems a lot cheaper than using my super expensive Dove soap. Otherwise I'd try again to see what results I got.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
it doesn't take much, rub the bar back and forth a couple times, wash and rinse.
the quantity and time are variables, adjust till the results suit you......

and this is a weird derail LOL

On top of that....and to make your example even more valid.....unless you are undergoing certain conditions which does get your hair dirty each day...there is no need to wash it every day...just getting the hot water on it is enough. How did I ever get by in my much younger elementary school days when my hair only got washed that one day of the week when I got a bath in the bathtub (my pre-shower days).

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

vnatale wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:03 pm
Simonjester wrote: it doesn't take much, rub the bar back and forth a couple times, wash and rinse.

On top of that....and to make your example even more valid.....unless you are undergoing certain conditions which does get your hair dirty each day...there is no need to wash it every day...just getting the hot water on it is enough. How did I ever get by in my much younger elementary school days when my hair only got washed that one day of the week when I got a bath in the bathtub (my pre-shower days).

Vinny
I haven't washed my hair or skin with soap...(except hands when removing oil or grease) in over a decade. I also don't wear deodorant. Lol
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Genetics experts worry coronavirus vaccines might not work quite as well against UK variant

Well Fu**.....Lol. Outsmarted by a virus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/health ... ndex.html
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Simonjester wrote:
doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 pm
I haven't washed my hair or skin with soap...(except hands when removing oil or grease) in over a decade. I also don't wear deodorant. Lol

ditto on no antiperspirant (another thing for the list )
cant get away w/o soap though..

You really can. It takes a few weeks maybe a month until your skin and hair rebalance...they are producing excess oils now because of the daily chemical assault they are undergoing. I used to have breakouts until maybe my mid twenties....then it suddenly dawned on me that I was creating the conditions that gave rise to acne. Stopped washing with soap..just water...and havent had a single skin issue since. Never need moisturizer either, even in winter. On top of that, nothing smells (at least my girlfriend or friends don't complain) unless I'm in Florida in July...then you have to take three or four showers a day if you're active. Your skin is like your gut. It's covered in microbiotics. When you wash with soap you destroy this microbiome in the same way that you do to your intestines when you take antibiotics. If you gotta use soap...crack and balls only.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Simonjester wrote:
doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:01 pm
You really can. It takes a few weeks maybe a month until your skin and hair rebalance...they are producing excess oils now because of the daily chemical assault they are undergoing. I used to have breakouts until maybe my mid twenties....then it suddenly dawned on me that I was creating the conditions that gave rise to acne. Stopped washing with soap..just water...and havent had a single skin issue since. Never need moisturizer either, even in winter. On top of that, nothing smells (at least my girlfriend or friends don't complain) unless I'm in Florida in July...then you have to take three or four showers a day if you're active. Your skin is like your gut. It's covered in microbiotics. When you wash with soap you destroy this microbiome in the same way that you do to your intestines when you take antibiotics. If you gotta use soap...crack and balls only.
work around grease, dirt, and people so probably not...
;D

not that it isn't the kind of thing i would experiment with under different circumstances..
True, grease is a tough one. Anything automotive is challenging. Gloves, pants and long sleeves. I wasn't in it everyday. Sawdust and mud no problem though I found.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:03 pm
Simonjester wrote:
it doesn't take much, rub the bar back and forth a couple times, wash and rinse.

Vinny

Triple on the deodorant / antiperspirant....I stopped needing it after I changed my diet. My believe it was dropping dairy, completing the no animals products in to my body. But I assume that was not the same case / reason for either of you.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:01 pm
You have got me now into true confessions mode.

I came home from my office in mid-office and have never gone back since. From that day going forward I wore the exact same clothes every day and never washed a single part of my body (except for my hands when hand washing dishes). The same clothes while doing 2 1/2 hours of exercise three days a week. No body odor. I also did some work which had me standing bare feet in used kitty litter. Still no washing any parts of my body. Since mid-March I've basically been pushing limits, seeing far how I can go with certain things.

The no washing stopped in early June (almost three months later) when a certain condition developed on my body. Got a doctor's telemedicine appointment that day. Took the pills prescribed and the two ointments that were prescribed in that appointment and a follow up appointment. The condition completely went away. But it scared me to death when I first noticed its appearance.

Since that first visit with the first doctor I have missed only one day since of taking a shower. But after tonight's discussion starting tomorrow I will shower without shampoo or soap and see what happens. Being in the house all the time I just do not get dirty. My hands would be about the only thing that could possibly get dirty and they'll get taken of with the daily hand washing of a sink full of dishes.

I'll report back if I felt the need to go back to either shampoo or soap or both.

Vinny
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

The only need for soap or shampoo is if you literally have to remove some type of industrial greasy grime off of your body. Dirt or sweat or whatever washes of with water just fine. You can look up no soap no shampoo on internet and find plenty of information. You can also look up AO Biome for information about a company that has done quite a bit of research into the skins microbiota and how having the correct skin bacteria naturally eliminates the odor issue many people have that causes them to have to use deodorant.

You skin and hair produce natural oils that will fall into equilibrium once you stop assaulting them with detergents on a daily basis. Sometimes there is an adjustment period of some weeks as this happens where they will continue to overproduce.

It's mind boggling that we have billion dollar industries that produce products that strip our skin and hair of natural protective coatings which often leads to dry, dull, skin and hair. To combat this self inflicted issue people then go out and buy more products filled with all sorts of weird chemicals which they then procede to slather all over themselves.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I guess the next bit of glorious advice we will be enchanted with is, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, ........ here it is:

Who needs toilet paper? I've been avoiding it for years. But I just don't understand why I can't find a girlfriend who will date me more than one time. >:D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Mountaineer wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:55 am I guess the next bit of glorious advice we will be enchanted with is, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, ........ here it is:

Who needs toilet paper? I've been avoiding it for years. But I just don't understand why I can't find a girlfriend who will date me more than one time. >:D
Well, if we were really civilized and had bidets like our cousins across the pond.....

To me this is one of the strongest pieces of evidence against the existence of god. No thoughtful intelligent creator would design a dog's butt so it can poop without any further cleanup, while we require so much additional effort.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Simonjester wrote:
MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 am Funny that you guys are talking about not using soap in a thread about covid, which we have been told the #1 thing to do is wash your hands.

I can tell you that if I didn't shower and use soap and shampoo and deodorant, I would not have any patients. Maybe your line of work allows you to get away with that, but mine certainly doesn't.
LOL
just to clarify i am not against washing hands, or showering, or using soap, (although experimenting with no soap showering might be interesting if i had no line of work)
shampoo ( an unnecessary extra type of soap for men) and anti antiperspirant (perspiration is a useful natural function, why gum it up with chemistry) both qualify for the list of illogical nonsense "imho"
deodorant is in the mostly unnecessary category, if you eat healthy and bathe you probably won't develop odors that need to be covered up or removed chemically, or much of any odor at all. adding a dab of cologne for social reasons (smelling pretty for the lady's) is a different return on investment calculation...
It's even worse. Soap kills off the good bacteria that allows the smelly bacteria to proliferate.

It's a staple of the modern morning routine: Wake up, hop in the shower, lather with soap.

But is that morning scrub-a-dub really necessary?

One man claims not. David Whitlock, a chemical engineer in Boston, has not showered for 12 years.

Whitlock isn't running an experiment in extreme water conservation. Rather, he believes that humans don't need to shower to be healthy, and that a daily soap scrub may actually remove a beneficial type of bacteria that keeps the bacteria that contribute to B.O. in check.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/this-ma ... a3486efee
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:50 am The only need for soap or shampoo is if you literally have to remove some type of industrial greasy grime off of your body. Dirt or sweat or whatever washes of with water just fine. You can look up no soap no shampoo on internet and find plenty of information. You can also look up AO Biome for information about a company that has done quite a bit of research into the skins microbiota and how having the correct skin bacteria naturally eliminates the odor issue many people have that causes them to have to use deodorant.

You skin and hair produce natural oils that will fall into equilibrium once you stop assaulting them with detergents on a daily basis. Sometimes there is an adjustment period of some weeks as this happens where they will continue to overproduce.

It's mind boggling that we have billion dollar industries that produce products that strip our skin and hair of natural protective coatings which often leads to dry, dull, skin and hair. To combat this self inflicted issue people then go out and buy more products filled with all sorts of weird chemicals which they then procede to slather all over themselves.
Did my first no soap, no shampoo shower this morning. No doubt I'm clean. But I just felt my "fine" hair and, perhaps, it feels "flatter" than usual? But not an issue of concern so I will continue using neither until that time that I actually get dirty, which is rare for me due to my lifestyle, especially when it it winter.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 am
Funny that you guys are talking about not using soap in a thread about covid, which we have been told the #1 thing to do is wash your hands.

I can tell you that if I didn't shower and use soap and shampoo and deodorant, I would not have any patients. Maybe your line of work allows you to get away with that, but mine certainly doesn't.

LOL
just to clarify i am not against washing hands, or showering, or using soap, (although experimenting with no soap showering might be interesting if i had no line of work)
shampoo ( an unnecessary extra type of soap for men) and anti antiperspirant (perspiration is a useful natural function, why gum it up with chemistry) both qualify for the list of illogical nonsense "imho"
deodorant is in the mostly unnecessary category, if you eat healthy and bathe you probably won't develop odors that need to be covered up or removed chemically, or much of any odor at all. adding a dab of cologne for social reasons (smelling pretty for the lady's) is a different return on investment calculation...

I am well aware of any odors emanating from my body. At one point several years ago it was so intense one night while sweating profusely as I was playing basketball, I went back to using soap...but still no deodorant. But the odors subsided considerably once I greatly modified my diet in late 2015.
Simonjester wrote:
personal experience has been similar ..