Message from Riverside County Sheriff's Department

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvRme0h2oY
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:36 pm Many medical facts are not facts in any sense of the
word, they have simply been made up. And that, ladies
and gentlemen, is a fact.

—Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, Doctoring Data
Our guiding light is better than mere medical facts. We have The Science.
Orwell talked about the "Ministry of Truth" in 1984 but I think he got the title wrong. It will be the "Ministry of Science". They will tell us what the science says. The administrator will occupy a cabinet position and thus need to be confirmed by the senate so we can all agree that they are trustworthy. Doodle will probably like it.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

I've got a question. We are 10 months into this pandemic and we are still arguing over the effectiveness of wearing a mask. There appears to be an issue of personal rights, efficacy of the mask, as well as the subject has obviously been politicized.

Do we have any high quality studies on the efficacy of the different types of face coverings? I'm speaking of published scientific studies showing what type of mask(s) filter the virus particle, both for receiving and transmitting.

This kind of data just might prove effective in addressing this volatile issue, and minimize "opinions" from Fauci, Trump, Biden, et al.

Also, it seems medical academia would be looking closer at monitoring antibodies in previous Covid patients. There are estimates, all over the place, as to how long a person is immune after the infection. Isn't this really important to know going forward?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

pp4me wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:29 pm
Tortoise wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:36 pm Many medical facts are not facts in any sense of the
word, they have simply been made up. And that, ladies
and gentlemen, is a fact.

—Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, Doctoring Data
Our guiding light is better than mere medical facts. We have The Science.
Orwell talked about the "Ministry of Truth" in 1984 but I think he got the title wrong. It will be the "Ministry of Science". They will tell us what the science says. The administrator will occupy a cabinet position and thus need to be confirmed by the senate so we can all agree that they are trustworthy. Doodle will probably like it.
Seems like science is just politics with more data.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

whatsherface - I love my mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYQU1WRGxI
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I had my annual Medicare wellness "visit" (it was telemedicine) with my doctor today. We discussed the vaccine.

He said he's advising taking it as soon as Dr. Fauci recommends it. During our 1/2 meeting I several times wanted to ask him, "So that means you did not vote for Trump?".

He added that I'd probably not be able to get it until next summer...until those way ahead of me in priority first get the vaccine.

I had another friend (75 years old) tell me last week that in Massachusetts there are about 2,000,000 people ahead of him.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Elon The Magnificent.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:29 pm I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Elon The Magnificent.
I am going to go with my doctor's recommendation. He a generally a "let's do what the studies say" type person. Not a hunch doctor.

A few years ago he convinced me to forego any prostate testing as the negative outcomes of all their false positives far outweigh the benefits of treatments for the real positives.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:29 pm I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Elon The Magnificent.
I am going to go with my doctor's recommendation. He a generally a "let's do what the studies say" type person. Not a hunch doctor.

A few years ago he convinced me to forego any prostate testing as the negative outcomes of all their false positives far outweigh the benefits of treatments for the real positives.

Vinny
Elon The Magnificient, First Of His Name, just shot some humans into space. Need I go on?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Vinny
Elon The Magnificient, First Of His Name, just shot some humans into space. Need I go on?
Are you going to go to him for medical advice? To perform surgery on you? Prepare your tax return? Fix your car? Put in a new furnace in your house?

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 pm
Are you going to go to him for medical advice? To perform surgery on you? Prepare your tax return? Fix your car? Put in a new furnace in your house?

Vinny
Me and Elon and Kriegs. We do our own surgery. Bill Gates and your sawbones can suck eggs.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

😂
I’m glad I’d swallowed the last of my coffee before reading these last two pages.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Vinny
Is that what you call a big shot?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Reddit's not so excited about lockdowns now that the free money is being reduced

https://old.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... s_with_la/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

A brilliant idea occurred to me today.

We should exhume the corpses of all famous historical figures who died under suspicious circumstances and test them for Covid-19.

If we use an RT-PCR test with the standard cycle threshold of 35 that's widely used here in the U.S., some of the corpses' tests will return a positive result (since the false positive rate means you never have a 0% chance of a positive result). We can then conclude, as our hospitals in the U.S. do, that the person died of Covid-19.

We will discover that some of our beloved historical figures with suspicious or uncertain causes of death actually died of Covid-19. Mystery solved!

This could be huge...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 am

Vinny
Is that what you call a big shot?
I'm just saying, whenever Elon is asked for his race, he writes "Space."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Lonestar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 am I've got a question. We are 10 months into this pandemic and we are still arguing over the effectiveness of wearing a mask. There appears to be an issue of personal rights, efficacy of the mask, as well as the subject has obviously been politicized.

Do we have any high quality studies on the efficacy of the different types of face coverings? I'm speaking of published scientific studies showing what type of mask(s) filter the virus particle, both for receiving and transmitting.

This kind of data just might prove effective in addressing this volatile issue, and minimize "opinions" from Fauci, Trump, Biden, et al.

Also, it seems medical academia would be looking closer at monitoring antibodies in previous Covid patients. There are estimates, all over the place, as to how long a person is immune after the infection. Isn't this really important to know going forward?
At the risk of confirming flyingpylon's post, would you believe a study from China that says that (shocker) only people who are sick/symptomatic spread it, and asymptomatic people don't?

I guess technically, the prior study they cited* failed to replicate in multiple subsequent studies. Surprise surprise, as I've brought up several times before.

* Gandhi, M., Yokoe, D. S. & Havlir, D. V. Asymptomatic transmission, the Achilles’ heel of current strategies to control Covid-19. N. Engl. J. Med. 382, 2158–2160 (2020).
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I've been harping all along that there's a difference between positive tests and cases - and it's not just semantic.

From the WSJ today: https://www.wsj.com/articles/california ... jem10point

"Foster Farms, a major chicken processor in California, said it reopened a facility in the state after Covid-19 testing demonstrated that about 14% of its workforce there had recently contracted the virus but wasn’t showing symptoms."

So 14% of its workforce tested positive but never had symptoms, according to the article. By definition, these are not cases. This gives you an idea just how much of a problem is the breathless media reporting of positive test results, What percentage of them are symptomatic? It could be a very low proportion indeed. And what percentage of these actually end up in the hospital DUE TO their COVID infection? Some, for sure....but probably far less than advertised, because people hospitalized for any reason are all being tested, and some percentage of them will come up positive no matter what they're in the hospital for.

The only way for the vaccine to cut down on positive test results is, as Fauci says, for nearly all Americans (including both legal and illegal immigrants) to get it. That will never happen. So I'm guessing this could drag on for years - unless the government pushes a change in reporting that lets them declare victory and walk off the field. That's my prediction, but of course we don't know when that will happen. Could be another year, or maybe more.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

p.s. Pugchief love the cartoon!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am That will never happen. So I'm guessing this could drag on for years - unless the government pushes a change in reporting that lets them declare victory and walk off the field. That's my prediction, but of course we don't know when that will happen. Could be another year, or maybe more.
Isn't that what happened with the H1N1 virus? I remember seeing somewhere that the CDC issued guidelines that routine testing of the whole population should be discontinued. I guess you never know how much of that was politics vs medical science as the two seem to be way too intertwined nowadays.

I remember Trump advocating stopping the testing for Covid in a twitter post. They thought he couldn't be serious but I remember that he followed up and said he was.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

pp4me wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:05 pm
WiseOne wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am That will never happen. So I'm guessing this could drag on for years - unless the government pushes a change in reporting that lets them declare victory and walk off the field. That's my prediction, but of course we don't know when that will happen. Could be another year, or maybe more.
Isn't that what happened with the H1N1 virus? I remember seeing somewhere that the CDC issued guidelines that routine testing of the whole population should be discontinued. I guess you never know how much of that was politics vs medical science as the two seem to be way too intertwined nowadays.

I remember Trump advocating stopping the testing for Covid in a twitter post. They thought he couldn't be serious but I remember that he followed up and said he was.
The solution is to stop testing, Trump was right. In fact, if we never tested for it, we might, might have just thought this was a little worse than usual flu season and went on with our lives. We might have avoided this election mess quite frankly but that's a side-bar.

Covid is so bad, the vast majority of people don't know they have it without being tested. Quite frankly, if we rando-testing 100M people every year for the flu, and to this level with these inconsistent tests......we'd probably find 10x as many people contract it per year than is currently recorded.

Stop testing people, treat sick people, move on with our lives. Why is everyone's lives being destroyed by a mild flu. If you're elderly or otherwise unhealthy, take precautions and don't go around people with symptoms, just like usual.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

SomeDude wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm
pp4me wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:05 pm

The solution is to stop testing, Trump was right. In fact, if we never tested for it, we might, might have just thought this was a little worse than usual flu season and went on with our lives. We might have avoided this election mess quite frankly but that's a side-bar.

Covid is so bad, the vast majority of people don't know they have it without being tested. Quite frankly, if we rando-testing 100M people every year for the flu, and to this level with these inconsistent tests......we'd probably find 10x as many people contract it per year than is currently recorded.

Stop testing people, treat sick people, move on with our lives. Why is everyone's lives being destroyed by a mild flu. If you're elderly or otherwise unhealthy, take precautions and don't go around people with symptoms, just like usual.
Except that is it not true that while I may not be exhibiting any symptoms I still may have it and, thus, be a spreader?

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

SomeDude wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm Why is everyone's lives being destroyed by a mild flu.
I don't disagree with most of your comments except the one I clipped. I don't think (am I wrong?) that nearing 300k dead is a "mild" flu.

Just trying to inject myself here and there to try (I am sure it will be a losing battle) to cut the hyperbole in both directions. Meaning, I don't think you need to lock yourself in your house for 9 months, but I also don't think it is mild.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 pm
SomeDude wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm Why is everyone's lives being destroyed by a mild flu.
I don't disagree with most of your comments except the one I clipped. I don't think (am I wrong?) that nearing 300k dead is a "mild" flu.

Just trying to inject myself here and there to try (I am sure it will be a losing battle) to cut the hyperbole in both directions. Meaning, I don't think you need to lock yourself in your house for 9 months, but I also don't think it is mild.

I agree on both counts, Corto.