Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by doodle »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am 4) Thanks to the USDA food guidelines, the US population has a much greater prevalence of co-morbidities known to worsen COVID prognosis than is the case in Korea/Japan.
Lol. such grasping! Yeah that's why americans are so obese and diabetic.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

doodle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am
WiseOne wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am 4) Thanks to the USDA food guidelines, the US population has a much greater prevalence of co-morbidities known to worsen COVID prognosis than is the case in Korea/Japan.
Doodle I'd think you'd be all over this one. Regulatory capture caused the USDA to recommend a diet, one that is optimized for cheap production rather than health. Isn't it pretty much indisputable that the food pyramid has been an unmitigated disaster?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am Well at least my kids are half Chinese...
Happy little hapas, I'm sure.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Xan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:44 am
doodle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am
Doodle I'd think you'd be all over this one. Regulatory capture caused the USDA to recommend a diet, one that is optimized for cheap production rather than health. Isn't it pretty much indisputable that the food pyramid has been an unmitigated disaster?
Disagree...by happenstance my diet falls within those guidelines and I'd rank my health as good as one can get.im not saying that it's the only diet that works... Americans diets by and large look like an inverted food pyramid. By chance I'm just packing my lunch and dinner...off to gym and then 8 hours of physical labor. 42 years old under 10% bodyfat...solid blood work. This meal probably fits right into food pyramid.
IMG_20201103_110436002.jpg
IMG_20201103_110436002.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 3238 times
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:50 am
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am Well at least my kids are half Chinese...
Happy little hapas, I'm sure.
Had to look that one up, but yes! :)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/11/0 ... f-covid19/

‘….in the first meta-analysis of its kind, published on 26 August in Obesity Reviews, an international team of researchers pooled data from scores of peer-reviewed papers capturing 399,000 patients. They found that people with obesity who contracted SARS-CoV-2 were 113% more likely than people of healthy weight to land in the hospital, 74% more likely to be admitted to an ICU, and 48% more likely to die.’ 1

........For years now he has believed, as I do, that the main driver of weight gain, leading on to type 2 (T2) diabetes, is a high carbohydrate diet.

This, of course, is the exact opposite of what we have been told for decades by the ‘experts’ who demonise fat and promote carbohydrates. We have the ‘eat-well’ plate, and the ‘food pyramid’, and hundreds of thousands of dieticians around the world, all promoting carbohydrates as the ‘healthy’ option.

Dutifully following this advice, the entire population of the western world has become fatter, and fatter… and fatter. By the way, this is not a coincidence; it is cause and effect................
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Shhhh...don't tell all the skinny asians eating 50% or more of their calories from white rice.

Portion control, exercise, not mixing simple carbohydrates, fats and sugars...deadly trifecta.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

doodle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:33 pm Shhhh...don't tell all the skinny asians eating 50% or more of their calories from white rice.

Portion control, exercise, not mixing simple carbohydrates, fats and sugars...deadly trifecta.
No doubt the number of calories is a big factor. I can eat Keto and drop weight, but if I add a spoonful of peanut butter 3-4x a day to that mix, I will gain weight.

FYI, I am exactly 4 weeks into mainly lo carb, but more strictly no snacking "lifestyle." I have found I can add some level of carbs without any gain in weight, which is very helpful in sticking to this. Cake, recently, I had a 1/4" slice vs. typical 1". I eat "fun" size M&Ms one at a time. Just as satisfying, if not more so that putting 10 in your mouth at a time.

I have gone from 200 to 188, and this time around I do actually feel more energy, in addition to joints always feeling better.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

It's official: Nutrition is the most common thread-derailing topic on this forum. ;)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:53 pm It's official: Nutrition is the most common thread-derailing topic on this forum. ;)
Sign of a healthy bunch!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

doodle's lunch looks great.

I'm really hungry.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Half Chinese and half Italian? Spectacular, your kids must be gorgeous.

on the nutritional derail topic....maintaining a semi-starvation diet never works in the long run. And, that has got to the first low carb diet I've ever heard of that features M&Ms :-)
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

This seems to be the key when dieting and the reason for americans waistline issues

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health- ... t-n883201

I know people with great longevity and have seen many athletes who perform at exceptionally high levels on high complex carb diets very low in fat and limited simple sugars.

There is another set of individuals who can lose weight by eating very high fat and very low carbs and sugars. I'm not as convinced regarding the long term feasibility of this diet for a variety of reasons but I'll aknowledge that at least initially there are beneficial effects.

As the article above states, it's when you mix fat and carbs that you get problems.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 pm This seems to be the key when dieting and the reason for americans waistline issues

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health- ... t-n883201

I know people with great longevity and have seen many athletes who perform at exceptionally high levels on high complex carb diets very low in fat and limited simple sugars.

There is another set of individuals who can lose weight by eating very high fat and very low carbs and sugars. I'm not as convinced regarding the long term feasibility of this diet for a variety of reasons but I'll aknowledge that at least initially there are beneficial effects.

As the article above states, it's when you mix fat and carbs that you get problems.
My supper tonight was all fat and carbohydates (with a small portion of protein thrown in).

Chopped up:

One apple
Two oranages
One banana
fifteen red grapes

A ton of unsalted peanut butter that was just peanuts

Few cups of water

All mixed well

Delicious each time I eat several times a week.

Each food was one ingredient which is just what the good Doctor Berry (The Lies...) recommends.

I weighed in at 146.4 this morning.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MIT has invented an AI that can listen to a recording of your cough and detect Covid - USA Today
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Hey, wasn't Covid supposed to start disappearing Nov 4th?

Yet another conspiracy.

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

I guess we'll see once the election news dies down, but doesn't look like it. If anything it is ramping up, whether because it is being combined with flu numbers or whatever.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Lay Sweden's curve over that of Illinois. Pretty interesting. I saw it a few days ago but don't know where.

They were the same until recently. Sweden is staying down, while IL and other places are going up.

I still wonder if these are just high band PCR false positives.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

There was back and forth a few days ago about what is the benefit to Democrat governors of more lockdowns. I didn't answer then, but here it is. They have no choice but to double down on their initial bet. If it turns out that lockdowns have NOT been net beneficial, they are toast. Some of them might already suspect that it's a net loser, but they simply cannot say, "the evidence has come in, and I was wrong."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I Shrugged wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:12 pm There was back and forth a few days ago about what is the benefit to Democrat governors of more lockdowns. I didn't answer then, but here it is. They have no choice but to double down on their initial bet. If it turns out that lockdowns have NOT been net beneficial, they are toast. Some of them might already suspect that it's a net loser, but they simply cannot say, "the evidence has come in, and I was wrong."
Absolutely. For a lot of them it's about saving face now.

Eight mayors of cities in CA jointly sent a letter to Gov. Newsom the day before the election imploring him to reopen CA's theme parks. I find the timing of that letter to be quite interesting. It's almost like they thought Newsom would be more receptive to their request after the election...
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

I can tell you from first hand experience in rural montana that covid is sweeping through my town. Dozens of people I work with or aquaintances of those falling ill.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Caution: Please translate the term "cases" in media reporting as "positive tests". A case, by the CDC definition, requires more than a positive test - a clinical syndrome & diagnosis is also required. We are not told what proportion of those 100K positive tests are COVID cases - and still less how many of those can be classed as moderate or severe.

A good metric for moderate/severe cases is the rate of hospitalizations. That is trending up slightly, as per expected for flu season, but it's way below where it was during the epidemic phase in March and April - and also far less than it was during the summer when positive test #s were much lower. Go figure.

I'm not really sure when the media panic about this will end....doubt it will. It may have started as a way to bludgeon Trump as many here have said, but I suspect it's simple fear of an unknown virus compounded by a self-stoking cycle of fear mongering articles ignoring basic facts begets fear begets fear-mongering articles ignoring basic facts. The real question is whether Biden will instantly lock down the entire country and institute a permanent mask mandate when he takes office in January - at the height of flu season. I suspect voters in 2024 will not be grateful for that, if he does so.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Montana is definitely concerned...I believe we are back to imposing curfews and limiting capacities in bars and restaurants. We already have a mask mandate.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

doodle wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:57 am I can tell you from first hand experience in rural montana that covid is sweeping through my town. Dozens of people I work with or aquaintances of those falling ill.
My boss is the biggest germaphobe I've ever met in my life. He's been so scared of Cooties-19 that he literally didn't leave his house for seven or eight months. Probably washed his hands 100 times a day and disinfected everything, too. Yet he got sick with flu/cold symptoms about two weeks ago and still sounds like shit during our remote meetings.

Not that enjoy when anyone gets sick, but his situation kind of made me chuckle. Even his extreme germaphobic precautions and eight-month quarantine in his own home didn't spare him. He still got slammed.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 am Caution: Please translate the term "cases" in media reporting as "positive tests". A case, by the CDC definition, requires more than a positive test - a clinical syndrome & diagnosis is also required. We are not told what proportion of those 100K positive tests are COVID cases - and still less how many of those can be classed as moderate or severe.

A good metric for moderate/severe cases is the rate of hospitalizations. That is trending up slightly, as per expected for flu season, but it's way below where it was during the epidemic phase in March and April - and also far less than it was during the summer when positive test #s were much lower. Go figure.

I'm not really sure when the media panic about this will end....doubt it will. It may have started as a way to bludgeon Trump as many here have said, but I suspect it's simple fear of an unknown virus compounded by a self-stoking cycle of fear mongering articles ignoring basic facts begets fear begets fear-mongering articles ignoring basic facts. The real question is whether Biden will instantly lock down the entire country and institute a permanent mask mandate when he takes office in January - at the height of flu season. I suspect voters in 2024 will not be grateful for that, if he does so.
WiseOne, I went looking for the definition of a "case" and I found this page at the Center for Evidence-Based Medicine:
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/when-is-covid-covid/

(I think you might have mentioned this group positively in the past?)

It seems that the CDC as well as other bodies are in fact going by a positive test trumping all. Even though there's no guidance with how strong of a PCR test is appropriate. Is that as silly as it seems?