Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Smith1776 »

Dieter wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Nice.

You mentioned music practice above -- what do you play?

Online lessons? Or on a band and rehearsal for thing?
I do singing and I play piano, though I only get lessons for the singing.

I'm currently working on Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from Les Mirserables. A really fun piece!

I sing solo. Primarily interested in doing covers and performing at parties and such.

My vocal coach today just said she is willing to do lessons online via Skype if there are any takers. I decided not to opt for it, as I just don't think it'd be the same.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:41 pm I'm currently working on Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from Les Mirserables. A really fun piece!

I sing solo. [...]
Perfect for a COVID-19 lockdown!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

pmward wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:37 pm Looks like the rec centre and gym closure will be in place for a good while.

I'm heading to Walmart today or tomorrow to get some Coronavirus quarantine home workout gear.

I currently have a yoga mat and a jump rope. Legit nothing else.

If you were to spend, say, up to 100 bucks, what would you spend that money on to get the best home workout possible? Would you spend anything at all? I'm thinking of at least getting that ab wheel thing.
Sandbags. You can do a lot with sandbags...
When I was younger, I got a keg from a beer distributor and filled it with sand/water and did random stuff with it. Sandbags can be pretty fun too.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm
pmward wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:37 pm Looks like the rec centre and gym closure will be in place for a good while.

I'm heading to Walmart today or tomorrow to get some Coronavirus quarantine home workout gear.

I currently have a yoga mat and a jump rope. Legit nothing else.

If you were to spend, say, up to 100 bucks, what would you spend that money on to get the best home workout possible? Would you spend anything at all? I'm thinking of at least getting that ab wheel thing.
Sandbags. You can do a lot with sandbags...
When I was younger, I got a keg from a beer distributor and filled it with sand/water and did random stuff with it. Sandbags can be pretty fun too.
Yeah, if you don't have the cash flow to do a full setup (I have a full Rogue setup these days) sandbags work great. The tricky thing is at the store you can find plenty of things heavy enough for the upper body. But it's hard to find things heavy enough to get lower body well. Sandbags can fill both roles. You can do sandbag bench, overhead press, rows, squats, jumps, sprints, etc. So much you can do with them. Sandbags are both dirt cheap (pun intended) and super versatile.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

barrett wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 pm Islamic housewives?
Or clothes from surgery?
Casual Friday
No escape from COVID-19

Open up wide,
Keep up social distancing,
I'm just a young boy, I need no sympathy,
I'll spread it if I cough, if I blow,
out my nose, sans elbow,
Any way this thing goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
Excellent! Medium Tex could have done no better!
Wouldn't you know it, I was going through my RSS feed and I saw someone had already done one (less bespoke, though).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just this morning I was telling myself that I wished someone supply me with the information such as below. Then, a few minutes ago, someone sent it to me.

Vinny

This is from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University:

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery! And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.

You can copy and paste to share.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

^^ The above looks suspiciously like an oldster email fwd or something one sees on facebook. ^^
The command to copy and paste to share at the end is always a bad sign. Still not sure.
Doesn’t mean the info is wrong.

I googled a piece of the text and...inconclusive. I saw it on a radio station blog, and here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comm ... bogus_can/

We’ll know soon enough. Consider it BS until proven otherwise.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Looks like the Wall Street Journal has opened up its paywall for things like this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rethinking ... lewebshare

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 pm ^^ The above looks suspiciously like an oldster email fwd or something one sees on facebook. ^^
The command to copy and paste to share at the end is always a bad sign. Still not sure.
Doesn’t mean the info is wrong.

I googled a piece of the text and...inconclusive. I saw it on a radio station blog, and here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comm ... bogus_can/

We’ll know soon enough. Consider it BS until proven otherwise.
I am seeing it quoted many places but here is one key one:

https://wsau.com/blogs/tom-kings-blog/5 ... lu-part-2/

Turns out it was not written by an immunologist but by a nurse and here is part of her conclusion of giving the background of how she wrote what she wrote:

"Often a doctor will give a patient a regimen to follow..using a lot of jargon that’s difficult for the patient to understand. I’ve had 30 years of practice, taking those regimens and re-wording them, so that my patient understands the logic behind the directions. Patients are more readily compliant with changing their lifestyle if they understand WHY they must change their lifestyle. Soooo, I bridge the gap, the best I can... it’s what nurses do. I’m not special.

Right now....Citizens of earth are being told that they must change their lifestyle (at least for awhile). Cancel events, school, work, sports, vacations....But there has been a huge absence of “relatable” information as to WHY we must change. The news gives bits here, pieces there...politicians are behind the curve...researchers inundate us with jargon that makes us tune out. Sooo....I did what EVERY nurse does several times in the course of their day. I merely endeavored to bridge the gap. I layed the COVID problem out, from A-B, in a story format, minus the jargon, and hoped people would want to comply because I gave them understanding."

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I would take it with a grain of salt for now.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

For those looking for some good reading material while under lock down, I suggest "A Distant Mirror" by the late Barbara Tuchman.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 pm For those looking for some good reading material while under lock down, I suggest "A Distant Mirror" by the late Barbara Tuchman.
What is that about? The one she wrote about World War I was excellent.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/god-he ... -briefing/

‘God help us’: Viewers horrified after watching Trump repeatedly undercut Fauci at COVID-19 briefing

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country, Territory, or Conveyance

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (100.78 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.74 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

My employer has now extended company-wide closure to April 5th -- and wages are still being paid.

I am wondering how long that can last. I suspect after a while there may be closures with no paid time, since it doesn't look like self-isolation is going to end anytime soon.

Then... layoffs?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 am
Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 pm For those looking for some good reading material while under lock down, I suggest "A Distant Mirror" by the late Barbara Tuchman.

Vinny
The full title is A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. It's where my earlier quote** came from. One of the best books I read in 2018.

** The deaths of the young in the Second Pest halted repopulation, haunting the age with a sense of decline. In the urge to procreate, women in England, according to Polychromicon, "took any kind of husbands, strangers, the feeble and imbeciles alike, and without shame mated with inferiors."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 am My employer has now extended company-wide closure to April 5th -- and wages are still being paid.

I am wondering how long that can last. I suspect after a while there may be closures with no paid time, since it doesn't look like self-isolation is going to end anytime soon.

Then... layoffs?
Probably, unless a treatment is deployed immediately, and maybe even then.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 am

Vinny
It's a highly readable history of the 14th century.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I have a dumb question for the group....

Like all of you, I'm working from home now and going in only as needed for clinical service. So I was wondering...what should I do about the housecleaner? She would normally come Monday. She takes a long subway ride to get to this neighborhood and services several apartments in my complex (she's very good and word got around fast).

The coop has banned outside workers from coming here for the duration, but even apart from that there are good reasons for her not to come. But, I expect she relies on the pay for her income. It's mostly under the table, so there would be no unemployment benefits. The stimulus checks aren't going to do much considering cost of living around these parts.

I told her to not come for the duration but I would pay her anyway. Knowing that when she does come back she might be spending more than the usual amount of time. I'm not nearly as good a housecleaner as she is!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Sorry to hear about your dog, Pugchief. My friend had to do the same 3 weeks ago.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Not yet, anyway.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am I'm looking for a new pug, but there aren't many rescues in the Midwest. Lots in TX for some reason, but that would be tough logistically. They don't do Door Dash for shelter dogs.
Some rescues will relay dogs across the country to get them to a good home. Depends on how eager they are to get the dog in a home, how well they can vet you (hah!) remotely, etc, but it's not out of the question.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/ev ... 767def5894

Not sure if this has been posted yet. High on facts, low on hype. Warning, long read but worth it in my opinion.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.