Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi »

jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:03 pm I still think this issue is what breaks us of the sky is falling everyone is gonna die mentality. A few weeks of remote school, basically nationwide, is going to change a lot of people who were scared.

My opinion. Quite likely wrong. People have to decouple having the virus with going to die. Not there yet. God, what is a bad flu season going to be like in the future? Close it all down? Crazy.

However, I do know an older lady and a 22 year old, friends of friends, who have died. So it is real.
So what makes people do that decoupling now since they haven’t done it since March? We had remote learning here for 2 months in the Spring. Now we are getting another month (to start with). I just am not feeling that tide turning and I feel like it won’t until the media frenzy moves on. Which may mean Election time. Or maybe not.
I don't really know. I deal with/saw a LOT of scared people in March and April. Less in May. Less in June and July. Almost none now.

I think it is a matter of hey, I've lived through this for 6 months. My family has lived through it for 6 months. I know very few or no one close to me who has gotten it, and those that have had little or no symptoms. The only deaths I see are on TV. Maybe this is overblown.

That sort of mental shift is happening for sure with work colleagues and extended family who were originally terrified.

I don't want to diminish those who have died from it by saying all this.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

The problem is that the goalposts for returning to school are being moved again. I’m seeing more messages acknowledging that the death rate is low, but we should all be scared of vaguely defined long-term health damages.

In our district it appears that a sufficient number of teachers are reluctant to return or are simply willing to walk away. But it’s also complicated by a poorly-conducted survey of teacher concerns regarding the district’s plans. While on one hand the survey of parents indicated a large majority want the schools to open, there is a lot of very vocal support in the community for teachers. Arguments that are less than 100% supportive of the teachers get shouted down quickly and right now they seem to hold all the cards.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:17 pm
jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 pm So what makes people do that decoupling now since they haven’t done it since March? We had remote learning here for 2 months in the Spring. Now we are getting another month (to start with). I just am not feeling that tide turning and I feel like it won’t until the media frenzy moves on. Which may mean Election time. Or maybe not.
I don't really know. I deal with/saw a LOT of scared people in March and April. Less in May. Less in June and July. Almost none now.

I think it is a matter of hey, I've lived through this for 6 months. My family has lived through it for 6 months. I know very few or no one close to me who has gotten it, and those that have had little or no symptoms. The only deaths I see are on TV. Maybe this is overblown.

That sort of mental shift is happening for sure with work colleagues and extended family who were originally terrified.

I am seeing a lot of the same thing, Corto. The only person who comes to mind as still being "afraid" is someone who I think is really enjoying not going in to the office. She also watches a lot of CNN. And actually, several people I work with professed to be scared and that "we shouldn't be working yet" when they were getting paid to stay home, and then thought they wouldn't be able to collect the expanded unemployment benefits. But when they found out they would be able to milk the government for some of that money they stopped being afraid.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:28 am
Cortopassi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:17 pm
jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 pm So what makes people do that decoupling now since they haven’t done it since March? We had remote learning here for 2 months in the Spring. Now we are getting another month (to start with). I just am not feeling that tide turning and I feel like it won’t until the media frenzy moves on. Which may mean Election time. Or maybe not.

I am seeing a lot of the same thing, Corto. The only person who comes to mind as still being "afraid" is someone who I think is really enjoying not going in to the office. She also watches a lot of CNN. And actually, several people I work with professed to be scared and that "we shouldn't be working yet" when they were getting paid to stay home, and then thought they wouldn't be able to collect the expanded unemployment benefits. But when they found out they would be able to milk the government for some of that money they stopped being afraid.
As you can see from my earlier posts, I just don't feel the same. Every day when I get to work in an office building that is at present only 20% occupied, we walk in to meet a security guard who berates you if you are not wearing a mask walking 10 feet alone to an empty elevator. The 8 people on my floor all wear masks just to walk to the restrooms in the halls even though there is likely no chance of encountering anyone else. When I get to my desk I pull up an internet news feed where every headline splashed across the page is full of death tolls, new cases, new highs, spiking, family of 30 all gets Covid at a get-together etc. Then at lunch yesterday I went to a fast food place and the person in front of me was in their car alone wearing a mask, rolls down the window and places his order at the menu board with the mask still on. I got a haircut on Sunday and the stylist informed me that "we all have to do our part." And this is North Texas. Supposedly Red Country.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

There is a bit of a surge in Texas right now. We're probably at the same spot New York was a couple months ago. We'll probably be where they are now (that is, pretty much over it) in a few more weeks. Then hopefully people will start really wanting to get back to normal.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:26 am As you can see from my earlier posts, I just don't feel the same. Every day when I get to work in an office building that is at present only 20% occupied, we walk in to meet a security guard who berates you if you are not wearing a mask walking 10 feet alone to an empty elevator. The 8 people on my floor all wear masks just to walk to the restrooms in the halls even though there is likely no chance of encountering anyone else. When I get to my desk I pull up an internet news feed where every headline splashed across the page is full of death tolls, new cases, new highs, spiking, family of 30 all gets Covid at a get-together etc. Then at lunch yesterday I went to a fast food place and the person in front of me was in their car alone wearing a mask, rolls down the window and places his order at the menu board with the mask still on. I got a haircut on Sunday and the stylist informed me that "we all have to do our part." And this is North Texas. Supposedly Red Country.
I didn't make myself clear, all that stuff is happening at my work too. As per policy, we haven't had a full office in months, we have to wear masks any time we get up from our desks, and we are to to wipe down our work areas when we get there and when we leave. I meant that people have started to be more vocal about how stupid they think it is.

Our boss, when she was reprimanding a few of us for not having our masks on as we were sitting in adjacent desks about 7 feet apart, acknowledged that it doesn't make sense, but please just play along because one of our employees (one who wanted them to keep paying us to stay home), was going above her head and complaining that our rules weren't strict enough so now HQ is on her case about it.

Our desks are large enough that people sitting at adjacent desks are 7 feet apart. The minimum distance we're allowed to sit from each other is 6 feet because that's the magic number. Our boss ignored this fact and told each manager to only have 50% of the desks occupied. One manager had the good idea to hang plastic sheeting from the ceiling between the desks, which makes it perfectly safe for people sit next to each other again.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am
jalanlong wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:26 am As you can see from my earlier posts, I just don't feel the same. Every day when I get to work in an office building that is at present only 20% occupied, we walk in to meet a security guard who berates you if you are not wearing a mask walking 10 feet alone to an empty elevator. The 8 people on my floor all wear masks just to walk to the restrooms in the halls even though there is likely no chance of encountering anyone else. When I get to my desk I pull up an internet news feed where every headline splashed across the page is full of death tolls, new cases, new highs, spiking, family of 30 all gets Covid at a get-together etc. Then at lunch yesterday I went to a fast food place and the person in front of me was in their car alone wearing a mask, rolls down the window and places his order at the menu board with the mask still on. I got a haircut on Sunday and the stylist informed me that "we all have to do our part." And this is North Texas. Supposedly Red Country.
I didn't make myself clear, all that stuff is happening at my work too. As per policy, we haven't had a full office in months, we have to wear masks any time we get up from our desks, and we are to to wipe down our work areas when we get there and when we leave. I meant that people have started to be more vocal about how stupid they think it is.

Our boss, when she was reprimanding a few of us for not having our masks on as we were sitting in adjacent desks about 7 feet apart, acknowledged that it doesn't make sense, but please just play along because one of our employees (one who wanted them to keep paying us to stay home), was going above her head and complaining that our rules weren't strict enough so now HQ is on her case about it.

Our desks are large enough that people sitting at adjacent desks are 7 feet apart. The minimum distance we're allowed to sit from each other is 6 feet because that's the magic number. Our boss ignored this fact and told each manager to only have 50% of the desks occupied. One manager had the good idea to hang plastic sheeting from the ceiling between the desks, which makes it perfectly safe for people sit next to each other again.
I am just not seeing a change in people. The people I know that thought this was overblown back in March, still feel that way. And the people that were scared and wanted to shut everything down in March still feel that way today as well. I don't see movement on either side really. And I feel that as long as there is a vocal group that is hellbent on keeping things as shut down as possible, even if they are technically a minority, then things like schools, movie theaters, sporting events will stay closed.

Some people argue that because some of the rural or smaller town schools are opening next week, that the bigger schools will see that they can do it successfully and then ultimately be forced to do it themselves. You could see it that way. But it could go the opposite way. If any one of those schools that are opening have even the slightest outbreak of the virus, it will be splashed so hard on the local news headlines that any school that wants to remain closed will have the ammunition to do so.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

It is quite a grand experiment.

The hardest thing to break seems the thinking a positive test = near certain death. And there will always be news stories showing this.

I have faith it will end. Either herd immunity, vaccine, burns itself out or good theraputic, by the end of the year, and spring semester starts reasonably normally.

And for those who believe it, when Biden wins in November, maybe it magically starts disappearing, at least as the leading news story...

It just can't go further than that. There is just too much of the economy wrapped up in schools at all levels.

And this is coming from a guy who thankfully has two straight A students and the luxury of a one income family with my wife at home. I cannot imagine two working parents, single parents, kids with disabilities, and such. The stress is going to lead to more deaths than the virus.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Florida stats from the CDC website.....

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Last night as I left my office I saw a new sign at the door. It was not Covid specific but said "STOP THE SPREAD OF GERMS" and gave you tips to do so. Then later in the night my son's remote learning instructions came in from the school district and they too had a PDF linked titled "Stopping the Spread of Germs."

I am no medical professional but aren't we going back in time with that way of thinking? I thought we had learned that exposure to a wide variety of germs (especially at a young age) helped to build strong, healthy immune systems. Am I wrong on that? Is this all being done now to protect those people who have weakened immune systems?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 am Last night as I left my office I saw a new sign at the door. It was not Covid specific but said "STOP THE SPREAD OF GERMS" and gave you tips to do so. Then later in the night my son's remote learning instructions came in from the school district and they too had a PDF linked titled "Stopping the Spread of Germs."

I am no medical professional but aren't we going back in time with that way of thinking? I thought we had learned that exposure to a wide variety of germs (especially at a young age) helped to build strong, healthy immune systems. Am I wrong on that? Is this all being done now to protect those people who have weakened immune systems?
I don't know if I disclosed this prior here....but do to family circumstances from the ages of 1/2 year to 3 1/2 years I was put in a Catholic "home" for boys. Thus for those three years of my life I was surrounded by other boys of all ages. And, presumably exposed to tons of germs since I was living with all of them. Note: I have ZERO memory of any of this. Just have some pictures of any of this.

From the end of 7th grade to 12th grade never missed a day school. Through 5 1/2 years of college never missed a class due to sickness. Have never missed any work due to being sick.

I always wondered if being exposed to all those germs during those years caused me to develope an extremely healthy immune system.

On the other hand at the age of 4 3/4's years old, I developed a ton of allergies, so severe that I did have a lot of half school days the first half of elementary school (though third grade) due to having to leave to get anti-histamine shots.

Thankfully, once I went through puberty all my allergies (except for hay fever) left me. And, hay fever also finally did leave some time in my 20s.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

vnatale wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:00 am
jalanlong wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 am Last night as I left my office I saw a new sign at the door. It was not Covid specific but said "STOP THE SPREAD OF GERMS" and gave you tips to do so. Then later in the night my son's remote learning instructions came in from the school district and they too had a PDF linked titled "Stopping the Spread of Germs."

I don't know if I disclosed this prior here....but do to family circumstances from the ages of 1/2 year to 3 1/2 years I was put in a Catholic "home" for boys. Thus for those three years of my life I was surrounded by other boys of all ages. And, presumably exposed to tons of germs since I was living with all of them. Note: I have ZERO memory of any of this. Just have some pictures of any of this.

From the end of 7th grade to 12th grade never missed a day school. Through 5 1/2 years of college never missed a class due to sickness. Have never missed any work due to being sick.

I always wondered if being exposed to all those germs during those years caused me to develope an extremely healthy immune system.

On the other hand at the age of 4 3/4's years old, I developed a ton of allergies, so severe that I did have a lot of half school days the first half of elementary school (though third grade) due to having to leave to get anti-histamine shots.

Thankfully, once I went through puberty all my allergies (except for hay fever) left me. And, hay fever also finally did leave some time in my 20s.

Vinny
I have the same experience. We allowed my son to sit out in the backyard and eat dirt and do all the stuff that little kids do. And he never, ever gets sick. In 11 years he has had maybe one bout of serious flu-like illness. My cousin, on the other hand, shelters her child from all germs, constantly washes the child's hands and hand sanitizes/wipes her at every turn. And of course that child is constantly sick with colds and other assorted respiratory illnesses.

I have read many articles over the years that ironically as our lives have become cleaner due to things like bottled water, more sterilized homes and workplaces etc. we are seeming to have more immune compromised citizens. That is why I was surprised at this sudden turn against being exposed to germs.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Apart from the issue of the medical wisdom, this is a truly frightening pivot that takes all this COVID craziness out of the "temporary emergency response" category and points us toward "perma-germophobe-safetyist-surveillance-police-state" territory.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Xan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am

Apart from the issue of the medical wisdom, this is a truly frightening pivot that takes all this COVID craziness out of the "temporary emergency response" category and points us toward "perma-germophobe-safetyist-surveillance-police-state" territory.
Yea, that's the issue most of us have had with this since the beginning. I don't like the government claiming the ability to abuse citizens due to a pandemic. The mayor of LA just threatened to shut off utilities to homes and businesses that host "egregious" gatherings.

The way I first heard it was from Tim Pool, who said, after he described antifa in Portland assaulting a woman at her house while the media called them peaceful protesters, that "the mayor of LA has just said he will shut off utilities to anyone who is discovered to be peacefully assembling." So I thought oh wow, he's actually going after the 'protesters' and the rioters, but damn that is harsh as fuck, like something Stalin would do. Then I found out it was actually just going to be used against people who were having parties like the ones Corto was talking about (or actually, maybe even a get together like Corto's), and that made more sense, seeing as it's 2020.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Xan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am

That's basically the same thought that came to me when I saw this article in the news yesterday.

It's a warning from the CDC to be on the alert for "accute flaccid mylelitis or AFM for short" which generally strikes young people between August and November.
Still, the health organization suggested that social-distancing protocols amid the coronavirus might help delay, if not combat, its spread.
In other words, don't open the schools and keep the kids inside seems to be the message they are trying to send....

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/cdc-expec ... -children/
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

I personally take the pandemic seriously, but has anyone noticed MSNBC has become a 24/7 perma-bear on the subject? No other topics discussed. Only Covid.

I routinely surf through the broadcasts for fun to see what the BS du jour is, and it's always the Covid bad news, mostly blamed on the actions of one person. I mean.........sure, things are bad out there, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel..........isn't there? Maybe it's just me.

At least through the Russia investigation and the impeachment we had some variety.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Lonestar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am I mean.........sure, things are bad out there, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel..........isn't there? Maybe it's just me.
See my chart from the Florida CDC a few posts back - pay particular attention to the death count rather than the case count. Dramatically decreasing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Lonestar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am I personally take the pandemic seriously, but has anyone noticed MSNBC has become a 24/7 perma-bear on the subject? No other topics discussed. Only Covid.

I routinely surf through the broadcasts for fun to see what the BS du jour is, and it's always the Covid bad news, mostly blamed on the actions of one person. I mean.........sure, things are bad out there, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel..........isn't there? Maybe it's just me.

At least through the Russia investigation and the impeachment we had some variety.
I only put on MSNBC if there is nothing on:

1) Yankees TV station
2) Red Sox TV station
3) Celtics TV station
4) MLB Network
5) NBA TV
6) C-Span
7) C-Span 2

Therefore, I rarely have it on.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

pp4me wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am
Lonestar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am I mean.........sure, things are bad out there, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel..........isn't there? Maybe it's just me.
See my chart from the Florida CDC a few posts back - pay particular attention to the death count rather than the case count. Dramatically decreasing.
I think this could really bite the perma-bears hard. I'm mostly talking about people trying to drum this thing up in order to get Trump out. If this thing just burns itself out BEFORE the election, which it looks like it is, then it could really backfire.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

But how many people actually look at those charts vs read headlines? I went on Google and did a quick search for today's news under Florida Covid and I got these headlines back:

"Florida Coronavirus: State reports 7,650 new cases, percent positivity rate at 8%"

"Florida reports 120 new coronavirus deaths, hospitalizations approach 30K"

"Florida’s Elder-Care Facilities Buckle as Covid-19 Deaths Climb"

"Young Florida man's coronavirus-related heart failure forces doctors to act fast"
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

vnatale wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:23 am
Lonestar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am I personally take the pandemic seriously, but has anyone noticed MSNBC has become a 24/7 perma-bear on the subject? No other topics discussed. Only Covid.

I only put on MSNBC if there is nothing on:

1) Yankees TV station
2) Red Sox TV station
3) Celtics TV station
4) MLB Network
5) NBA TV
6) C-Span
7) C-Span 2

Therefore, I rarely have it on.

Vinny
I have to add a # 8. The infomercial channels!

Gotta admit, for me watching it is like looking at a bad car wreck. Just can't turn away. It's a study in propaganda techniques. I never mind hearing the other side of an argument, but I do have my limits in how it is presented. Surely, many feel the same about Fox.

And yes, it does seem more important to view the death rate vs. infection rate at this point. If the death rate decreases before Nov it may change everything.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:39 am
But how many people actually look at those charts vs read headlines? I went on Google and did a quick search for today's news under Florida Covid and I got these headlines back:

"Florida Coronavirus: State reports 7,650 new cases, percent positivity rate at 8%"

"Florida reports 120 new coronavirus deaths, hospitalizations approach 30K"

"Florida’s Elder-Care Facilities Buckle as Covid-19 Deaths Climb"

"Young Florida man's coronavirus-related heart failure forces doctors to act fast"
Exactly. That's why I posted the charts.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I'll take that over race at this point.
jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 pm Here are some of my son’s remote learning rules.
text img attachment, p210 wrote: if a teacher believes that the student who logged in

I read that four times and it doesn't make any sense. Maybe if you take out the "who" in the first line.
🍍
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Hal wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 am We made it into the Russian News!

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/497095-melbour ... -lockdown/
Savage.
There is literally no reason for you to leave your home and if you were to leave your home and not be found there, you will have a very difficult time convincing Victoria police that you have a lawful reason.
You know, to look at this in a positive light, this whole thing has exposed every Secret Stalin on the planet. It's sad, but illuminating. I'm not going to hold it against anyone who overreacted back in Feb or March when we didn't really know what was up, but now I do.