Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:49 pm

I think you’re right, Xan. And, at some point they started saying that Covid is not spread by touch. But that’s not to say it’s not a bad idea to put the mask in a dirty cupholder and then put it back on one’s face. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Covid seems to be a clear and present danger. Statistics show that it is likely to recur annually - with ever increasing morbidity. Top Men! suggest that the surest way to cure this scourge is via voluntary sterilization of the at risk population. Ask yourself "Do I fear death from Covid?" "Are the young people around me trying to kill me?" If so, you may be at risk. Proceed immediately to the nearest planned parenthood and do your part for the human genome. Get sterilized.

If you can't have smart kids, it's the least you can do.

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

US.jpeg
US.jpeg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:47 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 am
The cognitive part that relates to the political stuff is that one may come away with the understanding that these people, who can be convinced to do something as abnormal as wearing a mask in a car alone for 30 minutes, can be convinced to do other things that WOULD effect other people outside of just themselves.
True, but A) the wearing of the mask in the car alone, while weird, is not something they were told to do
The demand was to wear a mask whenever you leave your house (in California, even in your house IIRC).
B) the other side of the coin is that some comments about mask wearers are one step away from intolerance. Remember when SomeDude or whoever suggested harrassing mask wearers in stores the way some mask wearers do to non wearers? That’s just as bad.
IMO, that relates to one of the "pragmatic vs idealistic" (paradox of intolerance) dilemmas that we ran into last year. Is it better to "suck it up" and comply with all of the government edicts (locking down for 15 days... then one more week... put this mask on... then until 4th of July... wait no that's cancelled too... until Thanksgiving... 2 masks at a time now... until half the population is vaccinated... now 75%... now 100%), thinking that compliance would lead to life getting better/returning to normal?

Or would it have been better if people had immediately revolted against government officials, slashing health inspectors tires if they tried to fine a pub, refusing to ever wear a mask/mask shaming, protesting every politician in favor of it, etc? So that politicians and technocrats were sent an unambitious signal that people would not tolerate this overreach for one bit, much less 18 months and counting?

I'm more in the second camp than the first. Maybe where I differ from SomeDude is that I think targeting politicians and technocrats is more appropriate than targeting citizens.
I’m not seeing a live and let live attitude on either side, at least on this forum.
There's a big difference between feeling unsettled by someone, and harming that person or infringing on their freedoms. As far as I can tell, essentially all of the harming and infringing has come from the side in favor of lockdowns, enforced masking, and coerced medical procedures.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:27 am

dualstow wrote:
Remember when SomeDude or whoever suggested harrassing mask wearers in stores the way some mask wearers do to non wearers? That’s just as bad.

Maybe we didn't remember SomeDude's stance accurately.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:27 am
dualstow wrote:
Remember when SomeDude or whoever suggested harrassing mask wearers in stores the way some mask wearers do to non wearers? That’s just as bad.

Maybe we didn't remember SomeDude's stance accurately.
I’m just getting a broken image above. I don’t remember if it was specifically SD, Tom, or whoever. I do remember asking him if that’s what he was getting at, and he backpedaled a bit. Maybe SD was secession guy and Tom was harass guy.
There's a big difference between feeling unsettled by someone, and harming that person or infringing on their freedoms. As far as I can tell, essentially all of the harming and infringing has come from the side in favor of lockdowns, enforced masking, and coerced medical procedures.
Well you’re not wrong, Kriegs. I can see that from the point of view of someone who doesn’t want masks or get vaccines for whatever reason, it must feel like oppression. In not a few cases, like the videos posted by Hal of Australia, it *is* oppression. I’m watching that Mike Wallace interview of Aldous Huxley and it feels like 2021.

I remember my conversation with Xan, pre-pandemic, in which I had ideas for heavy-handed responses to those who weren’t vaccinating their children for measles, (e.g. the Orthodox Jews in Westchester or Rockland or somewhere). Namely, not allowing them in public school. Xan said I had a very definition of ‘compulsory’ in that case, and he was right.

I try to use this forum and other sources as a reality check. You’re an important part of that, and I hope you’ll continue. The result is often that my views have softened a bit with regard to covid. I certainly don’t know what the right answer is, but I can understand a private store requiring masks, while I cannot understand Australians being locked in doors (or in the case of Beijing, occasionally welded indoors).

The closest I have seen to the other side is a guy on twitter reporting that someone in line said “living in fear, eh?” because he was wearing a mask. :-) He had to explain that he has immunocompromised kids and elderly folks at home. Obviously, that is *nothing.* Nothing compared to the Australian lockdowns. Provaxxers seem to be the majority and they have the world’s governments on their side. They are not oppressed or even harrassed.

And yet, for those of us who believe that the vaccine does help, “breakthrough” infections notwithstanding, for those of us who believe the unvaccinated are not bringing us to herd immunity anytime soon but more toward something like continuing massive measles outbreaks, Covid edition, for those of us who think non-vaxxers may have contributed. to the deaths of our grandparents, complaints about a guy wearing a mask in his own damn car ring a little hollow. I hope it doesn’t progress any further than feeling strange about him. That’s all I’m saying.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:13 am

It was this discussion from earlier.
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:16 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:56 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:39 am
Maybe their wives are mask-people and they didn't want to get into it with them there.
We have to start making fun of mask people or at least looking at them like they're weird.
Since this is not the first time you suggested that, I gotta ask and put wild assumptions to rest: are you talking about teasing friends or confronting strangers in the street the way mask nazis confront people in stores?

If it's the latter,
I can see advocating online or even protesting in one spot, "Change the policy. We shouldn't have to wear masks!" But confronting people for complying with state law seems bold to say the least.

Ehhhh.....confront strangers at your own risk. But def ridicule friends and family who can take it. For those that can't, at least raise an eyebrow.

The masks will come off when it's considered weird to wear one.

And then coronvirus will be over.
dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 am
We have to start making fun of mask people or at least looking at them like they're weird.
dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:56 pm
Since this is not the first time you suggested that, I gotta ask and put wild assumptions to rest: are you talking about teasing friends or confronting strangers in the street the way mask nazis confront people in stores?
SomeDude wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:16 pm
Ehhhh.....confront strangers at your own risk. But def ridicule friends and family who can take it. For those that can't, at least raise an eyebrow.
Seems fair.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am

Right, “make fun of people” got a sensible legal disclaimer appended to it when I asked for clarification. And as I said, that was not the first time he suggested it. I don’t remember how it was worded the first time, maybe similarly.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:11 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 am
I remember my conversation with Xan, pre-pandemic, in which I had ideas for heavy-handed responses to those who weren’t vaccinating their children for measles, (e.g. the Orthodox Jews in Westchester or Rockland or somewhere). Namely, not allowing them in public school. Xan said I had a very definition of ‘compulsory’ in that case, and he was right.
Sad to say I don't remember that! I think your last sentence that I quoted is missing a word. I'm curious what it was supposed to be, because I like being right. :-) Honestly I have no idea what my position was; it's certainly possible to argue all sides of something like this.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:20 am

Hah! O0 Sorry, ‘narrow’ is the missing word.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:50 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 am
Kbg wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm
Amongst my peers, family and friends regardless of stance on the issue, it's all background noise at this point.
So your peers, family and friends find it background noise that in the last weeks a sitting President ordered private businesses to require a specific vaccination in order to work there, a Federal appeals court paused the order because of “grave constitutional concerns “ and the President then told businesses to ignore the court and continue the vaccine requirement preparations?

That is not something I would call background noise. That is a fundamental change in the relationship between politicians, private businesses and their employees.
Pretty much yes. I do have peers, family and friends who are what I label as "mask and/or covid freedom fighters." I think the vast majority of covid freedom fighters are sincere in their beliefs and really do feel threatened. I also find most of them when you peel the label back are pretty shallow in their knowledge of how the US government and courts work. Lastly, I can certainly understand the frustration if you are more on the right and live in a left state.

I completely agree with the watercooler statement someone mentioned. My circle has made their decisions (both sides) and they're doing what they're going to do...those decisions were made along ago. Stuff that comes out now is more conversational as everyone knows where everyone stands and everyone knows no one is changing their minds at this point.

In my view, it was a forgone conclusion the edict from Biden would get stayed in the courts. My guess is it will head to the Supreme Court for a decision, and if the justices have the guts to take it on, they have a really tough one on their hands. Public health vs. control over one's body. If one is anti-abortion, be careful what you wish for. (For the cynics, this is known as the system is functioning as designed.) Businesses can and do chose to accept or ignore various rules, regulations and laws on probably a nano-second basis for which corporate lawyers and law firms are forever grateful. In the larger scheme there is exactly nothing new here. Businesses have the choice to comply or not to comply. Don't do it on the downlow and hope to not get caught or do it publicly and go the legal route...all options have their advantages, disadvantages and risks. That's the system.

If you live in a lefty state and you are on the right side of the political equation, as I see it you have two choices on a personal level. Move or get used to it. I'm 100% on board, supportive and think that the public has a constitutional right to elect public officials that reflect their views and have associated policies/laws enacted. Last time I checked the states listed are all well known liberal states by the nature of the majority of their constituents. I'd expect their politicians to act accordingly...and they should.

As is well known I'm a great despiser of US news organizations. And honestly, if MSNBC finds some crazy (to them) right wing thing in South Dakota and makes hay of it to their liberal coasty audiences while Fox finds some crazy (to them) left wing thing in California and broadcasts it to flyover country, is it too much to ask said viewers to consider that they are being manipulated by using an example that has no actual relevance to them?

The above phenomena was long, long, long ago recognized in legal proceedings which is why one can't bring a case to a court without being potentially actually damaged by whatever it is you are going to the courts for.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

How things have changed from last year:

Next cube mate tested positive, fully vaccinated, would not have gotten tested but did because he lost his sense of smell.

I was informed. I was not inclined to get myself tested, because I am vaccinated, but my wife convinced me, because I visit my parents this Wed, in their high 80s. And because it would make her more comfortable.

From walking into a rapid test place to getting the result, less than 5 minutes. One nurse, in a bare retail space except for her, some folding chairs and a fold up table. Also sent out for a PCR test. No insurance needed. She says they get about 50-60 people a day.

Last time I had to get a rapid test for my daughter was a 20 mile 3 hour affair.

Oh--it was negative.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:26 pm

These days it seems like I sometimes only get off my property one day of the week, which usually turns out to be Sunday.

Yesterday was one of those experiences and here are my mask observations.

I started off with having to to to the Emergency Room (first time in about five or so years). I was walking in when I saw the mask requirement sign on the door. Went back to my car to get one. Everyone was in 100% compliance in the hospital.

Then went to Walgreen's. No sign on door. I did not wear one and I think I may or may not have seen anyone else wearing one in the store.

Later in the day I met a friend to eat at a restaurant. Door sign stated had to wear a mask unless at table. So put one on which I took off once I got to my table.

Then we went to hear live music. Sign on door stated you both had to wear a mask and be vaccinated. We showed our proof of vaccination. Of course you don't have to wear a mask while drinking. So I kept sipping water to keep mine off the rest of the night once I was inside. I'd guess it was half / half for people wearing / not wearing masks.

All this took place in a town that no longer has any mask requirements and leaves it up for each establishment to set their one rules.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Next cube mate tested positive, fully vaccinated, would not have gotten tested but did because he lost his sense of smell.

I was informed. I was not inclined to get myself tested, because I am vaccinated, but my wife convinced me, because I visit my parents this Wed, in their high 80s. And because it would make her more comfortable.

From walking into a rapid test place to getting the result, less than 5 minutes. One nurse, in a bare retail space except for her, some folding chairs and a fold up table. Also sent out for a PCR test. No insurance needed. She says they get about 50-60 people a day.

Last time I had to get a rapid test for my daughter was a 20 mile 3 hour affair.

Oh--it was negative.
Corto, I am glad you were negative. Are you positive you are negative? If so, you might be an electron - or a confused positron, or maybe even a gender neutral neutron.

Seriously though, glad you are okay. 👍🏼
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:50 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Oh--it was negative.
Corto, I am glad you were negative. Are you positive you are negative? If so, you might be an electron - or a confused positron, or maybe even a gender neutral neutron.

Seriously though, glad you are okay. 👍🏼
People like this ^^^, that's why I never pull the trigger on shutting down my account. Thanks!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:20 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:26 pm
….
I started off with having to to to the Emergency Room (first time in about five or so years).

Hope you’re alright, Vinny.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:46 am

Ditto on good wishes for Vinnie and Carto...and it's good to see civility and online kindness coming back to the board!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:19 am

vnatale wrote:
These days it seems like I sometimes only get off my property one day of the week, which usually turns out to be Sunday.

I started off with having to to to the Emergency Room (first time in about five or so years). I was walking in when I saw the mask requirement sign on the door. Went back to my car to get one. Everyone was in 100% compliance in the hospital.

Then went to Walgreen's. No sign on door. I did not wear one and I think I may or may not have seen anyone else wearing one in the store.

Later in the day I met a friend to eat at a restaurant. Door sign stated had to wear a mask unless at table. So put one on which I took off once I got to my table.

Then we went to hear live music. Sign on door stated you both had to wear a mask and be vaccinated. We showed our proof of vaccination. Of course you don't have to wear a mask while drinking. So I kept sipping water to keep mine off the rest of the night once I was inside. I'd guess it was half / half for people wearing / not wearing masks.

All this took place in a town that no longer has any mask requirements and leaves it up for each establishment to set their one rules.
Vinny,
That ER must be something special .... first the ER, then Walgreens, then out to eat, then a concert! Wow, what was in those pills? ;)

Glad you ended up with a good day.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:32 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:20 am

vnatale wrote:

….
I started off with having to to to the Emergency Room (first time in about five or so years).

Hope you’re alright, Vinny.

Carpal Tunnel with pain emanating from my left wrist. I thought it'd be much healed by today. Instead as I type this it is throbbing (after taking an Advil). Have tried to limit using my left hand as much as possible (including things like this).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:19 am

vnatale wrote:

Vinny,
That ER must be something special .... first the ER, then Walgreens, then out to eat, then a concert! Wow, what was in those pills? ;)

Glad you ended up with a good day.

... Mountaineer

All it was was ab Advil on Sunday. And, I hardly felt much pain the rest of the day. But today I just had to get certain things done. And, as much as I avoided as much as possible engaging my left hand...I had to use it. Turns out from the pain I'm now feeling...I used it too much.

The worst case for me, though, with the reduced physical activity is that it gives me much more time to read books and watch movies. So the silver lining.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Carpal tunnel, oh I’ve been there. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Had a fellow programmer who had carpal tunnel which she eventually had outpatient surgery for. She said whatever it was they did, it was a simple operation, the relief was immediate, and she should have done it years before.

Never had that problem but I've been diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome from my many years in front of a computer - mostly shows up at first with elbow pain. Surgery for it is a lot more intrusive but as I have discovered it's easily correctible with some exercises (see flossing the elbow) and change in habits if you do it before it gets too bad.

Way off topic but I know we have a lot if IT workers who sit in front of computers all day so consider it a PSA.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:45 pm

Mine is not from doing a repetitive motion for a long period of time, e.g., typing on a keyboard for hours at a time, day after day.

Three weeks ago this past Friday I decided I would finally get all my books organized into categories and go through them to decide which ones I could part with.

I was shocked to discover how many books I had in boxes in my garage and basement (on top of the ones already on shelves in every room of my house - including 500 in the bathroom alone).

Let's just guess there were 7,000 of those books that I have moved repeatedly...so that now I have innumerable stacks of books 3 to 4 feet high on the floors of all rooms in the house.

In describing it to someone the other day I realized that as right hander I use my right hand to guide the pile (holding them on top with my right hand) while my left hand is doing all the work by being on the bottom the piles I am holding and moving from here to there.

Therefore it seems that the area got inflamed by making it do too much work over a relatively short period of time.

Other than the three days of formal, official exercising I do, I'm fairly much otherwise sedentary, most of it sitting.

Therefore it's been somewhat of a shock to the left hand area to have to do all that work.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm

May I ask an indelicate question? Who’s going to clear all that away when you pass?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 am

Some deep thinking courtesy of Jordan Peterson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRFaiqiQGo

Set aside 1 hr and 20 minutes.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:51 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm

May I ask an indelicate question? Who’s going to clear all that away when you pass?

My executor, whoever that ends up being.