Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Merry Christmas to all! I hope you all have a safe and virus free Christmas. The latest virus info that I hear is from my daughter, a nurse on the left coast in central Washington who works with Covid19 patients and those who are there to be vaccinated:

Cases are up. Really sick and hospitalized people are up; including those who are double vaxed and boosted. Those she knows who have had Covid19 say .... you really don't want to get this.

Blessings to all, whether you are vaxers or anti-vaxers. Keep the focus on the one who ultimately came to save all who believe his promises, virus or no virus, suffering or no suffering, good times or bad.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:06 am

"Cases" continues to mean little, no state or global standard on how many cycles to run. CDC or CCP can suggest 50 cycles anytime they want to lockdown millions. Reddit cheers it on: https://old.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... n/hpr8otm/

And no testing for (SARS1?) rhinovirus or influenza. Too bad, would allow interesting comparisons. Flu has been decimating seniors for years we just didnt post about who we knew. And was labeled as pneumonia. Doctors today are told be "cautious" and assume covid.

Pug, freedom to do what? We dont want it. Millions love the masks, they want to be unseen. Plus you get to be a hero for not socializing or going to the gym. And work from home, and lavish unemployment benefits. It wont matter to anyone until the Harris Regime triples taxes, and protest is illegal due to SARS 3.0

All of that said, maybe the Noble Lie was worth it. More people will get annual cold+flu shots, wages were cut by inflation (so higher employment), the UBI helps the poor, and homeless encampments near me were moved after a decade. Not sure how to explain the latter, maybe covid hysteria was needed as a distraction, or maybe the city knows the encampments need to be controlled now, before the eviction ban expires.

A few mediocre links
College kids, just stay in your room: https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1473907420783161352

Nate Silver goes off the reservation, and points out that the vaccine was announced right after the election. Followers in shambles: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 0030994440

"Face covering" mandates don't work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwAfz03WIY

CoronavirusCirclejerk was unbanned https://old.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusCir ... ignore_in/
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 am

Well it's a tense day in the household. We only shared Christmas with two adults and their baby, and one of the two came down sick yesterday. And tested positive today with an at home test. Oh boy, again. My wife is on the phone trying to locate at home rapid tests for us, so we can have them on hand.

The sick person is showing basic bad cold/flu symptoms. No fever, no loss of taste or smell. From what I had read, that fits with Omicron. The spouse tested negative this morning. Both of them were vaxed but not boosted.

I had been thinking that it is inevitable that we will all get Omicron. So we'll see.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:08 pm

So make some chicken soup. Geez.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:14 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 am
Well it's a tense day in the household. We only shared Christmas with two adults and their baby, and one of the two came down sick yesterday. And tested positive today with an at home test. Oh boy, again. My wife is on the phone trying to locate at home rapid tests for us, so we can have them on hand.

The sick person is showing basic bad cold/flu symptoms. No fever, no loss of taste or smell. From what I had read, that fits with Omicron. The spouse tested negative this morning. Both of them were vaxed but not boosted.

I had been thinking that it is inevitable that we will all get Omicron. So we'll see.
Hope you and your wife get through it OK, Shrugged. Apparently the time between exposure and being symptomatic (if that even happens) is shorter with Omicron. Wife and I are also figuring that getting this variant is inevitable. Again, good luck.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:32 pm

barrett wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:14 pm
Wife and I are also figuring that getting this variant is inevitable. Again, good luck.
A lot of people I know are talking this way. Hopefully it's a good thing.

I have also heard two doctors (on TV and associated with IL govt) start changing their tune about cases/infections not being the important number anymore, but rather what percent of those go into hospitals and gum up the system. Another good thing. And with two pills coming online, also talk about giving them pills and staying home sick.

All moving toward endemic, just live with it, status!

It certainly does seem the speed and contagiousness of omicron are increased!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:02 am

I Shrugged wrote:

Sure hope you two don’t get seriously ill. My very best wishes for you.

Blessings.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks. So far, nothing to report. If it's Omicron, it should show up today or tomorrow. Delta is slower. Hoping it's nothing, of course. I always have a tough time with respiratory viruses.

I find these kinds of accounts interesting, given how rapidly this thing is changing. Probably some don't find it interesting. I'll let you know how it unfolds.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:24 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:06 am
... I always have a tough time with respiratory viruses.
Wishing you the best of health Shrug!
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:42 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

Sorry to read about this. On the other hand it makes me thankful for my winter isolationist lifestyle. After my visit with the periodontist a few hours ago I have no scheduled next time to be off my property. And, few people coming to my house until whenever is that next time I go off my property and am again near people.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Is there a Hal post about the Australian PM’s turnaround that someone can link me to, or do I have to slog through many pages of this thread?
RIP Marcello Gandini
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:21 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:43 pm
Is there a Hal post about the Australian PM’s turnaround that someone can link me to, or do I have to slog through many pages of this thread?
Here is a link to a segment that Dr. John Campbell did on this from 12/22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVl5OkHcvf4

Campbell's daily summaries have been my go to recently for pandemic info.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 am

Much appreciated, Barrett.
Any Hal comments here, though?
RIP Marcello Gandini
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Looks like we dodged the virus. We both tested negative. The younger couple, the sick one is a lot better and the spouse and child never got it.

We were kind of hoping for positive on our tests, given that we didn't have symptoms. I'm looking forward to seeing the light at the end of the pandemic tunnel. I've been wrong so many times so far that I have stopped thinking we are almost there. So, maximum pessimism, right? The death of stocks, etc.?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 am

Finally...? From NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/us/a ... cases.html

At the minimum, the widespread availability of at-home tests is wreaking havoc with the accuracy of official positivity rates and case counts. At the other extreme, it is one factor making some public health experts raise a question that once would have been unthinkable: Do counts of coronavirus cases serve a useful purpose, and if not, should they be continued?

“Our entire approach to the pandemic has been case-based surveillance: We have to count every case, and that’s just not accurate anymore,” said Dr. Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer at the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, a national nonprofit organization representing public health agencies in the United States. “It’s just becoming a time where we’ve got to think about doing things differently.”

---------------

“Everyone knew that this time was coming,” Dr. Layton of the epidemiologists’ council said, adding that the shift was part of a move toward approaching Covid-19 as an endemic disease that the country would have to live with indefinitely, much like influenza.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:03 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 am
Finally...? From NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/us/a ... cases.html

At the minimum, the widespread availability of at-home tests is wreaking havoc with the accuracy of official positivity rates and case counts. At the other extreme, it is one factor making some public health experts raise a question that once would have been unthinkable: Do counts of coronavirus cases serve a useful purpose, and if not, should they be continued?

“Our entire approach to the pandemic has been case-based surveillance: We have to count every case, and that’s just not accurate anymore,” said Dr. Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer at the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, a national nonprofit organization representing public health agencies in the United States. “It’s just becoming a time where we’ve got to think about doing things differently.”

---------------

“Everyone knew that this time was coming,” Dr. Layton of the epidemiologists’ council said, adding that the shift was part of a move toward approaching Covid-19 as an endemic disease that the country would have to live with indefinitely, much like influenza.
So how exactly do you move the public away from testing every single time they feel sick? Especially if places require a proof of negative test? One start might be to get sporting teams and other groups to stop with constant testing (I think the NFL is moving towards this). Getting the media to stop reporting on cases would be another start I guess. But I feel like they have started something they cannot control with these tests.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm

More....

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 95b0ebe844

"The explosive increase in U.S. coronavirus case counts is raising alarm, but some experts believe the focus should instead be on COVID-19 hospital admissions. And those aren’t climbing as fast.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, for one, said Sunday on ABC that with many infections causing few or no symptoms, “it is much more relevant to focus on the hospitalizations as opposed to the total number of cases.” Other experts argue that case counts still have value."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm
More....

"The explosive increase in U.S. coronavirus case counts is raising alarm, but some experts believe the focus should instead be on COVID-19 hospital admissions. And those aren’t climbing as fast.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, for one, said Sunday on ABC that with many infections causing few or no symptoms, “it is much more relevant to focus on the hospitalizations as opposed to the total number of cases.” Other experts argue that case counts still have value."
You can't hardly find an at-home test right now. We can assume the tests are being taken by the millions. I'm sure most of the people taking them are not reporting the results. In our recent episode there were 5 tests taken. 1 positive, 4 negative, and nothing reported. So the "case" numbers are even more inaccurate than they were before.

By the way, the 32 y.o. who was positive had a pretty miserable week or so, and is still dealing with congestion and a bad cough. If that's Omicron, I'd sure like to avoid getting it.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:39 am

Meanwhile, down under....
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 7.33.36 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 7.33.36 pm.png (414.31 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm
More....

You can't hardly find an at-home test right now. We can assume the tests are being taken by the millions. I'm sure most of the people taking them are not reporting the results. In our recent episode there were 5 tests taken. 1 positive, 4 negative, and nothing reported. So the "case" numbers are even more inaccurate than they were before.

By the way, the 32 y.o. who was positive had a pretty miserable week or so, and is still dealing with congestion and a bad cough. If that's Omicron, I'd sure like to avoid getting it.
Only if the hospitalizations are caused by Covid-19 and not simply patients who are admitted for another reason and happens to test positive while there, which may be 40 or 50% of the cases.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 am

See the top contenders in the list, sorted DESC by deaths/100K pop:
TopContenders.jpg
TopContenders.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

I do not really get how that small (according to what I read in this thread) difference in deaths/100K between BG (452 deaths/100K) and USA (255 deaths/100K) is making such a difference? I guess its due to the population base - in BG we are just 6.7 Million. I can rarely meet someone that does not share - "oh my (grand)father/(grand)mother/brother/cousin has passed away due to Covid". Living in a country with 30% of vaccinated people is getting quite challenging have to admit.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:53 pm

Do they not trust the vax, Vil, or is it hard to obtain? (I haven’t been following the thread).
Hang in there!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:09 pm

Nice summary :o
https://caldronpool.com/we-must-never-f ... l-tyranny/

Ecclesiastes 1:9
New International Version
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

https://www.solzhenitsyncenter.org/live-not-by-lies
(Hat-tip to Kriegs for link)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:54 pm

So, this shit is happening in Canada.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-to-i ... -1.5735536
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.