Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm

I appreciate your view, it was quite similar to mine. I always ponder ‘what am I going to do with this information’. Then I had a couple of friends who tested for Covid immediately after a few symptoms. They tested positive and contacted their doctor who prescribed paxlovid. They took it and had minimal additional symptoms and recovered quickly. I changed my mind about testing promptly. I think the few minutes to test and do something else while waiting the 15 minutes to get the result is definitely worth it. Vinny has apparently been sick for over a week. That is on the long side for a regular cold in my experience. YMMV.

Several years ago I did come down with symptoms of a cold. Normally I'd do nothing about it but this time I was going to be going to a music festival several days later and did not want to be a germ spreader at it. So I went to my doctor to see how bad it was. He showed me a chart on his wall that showed me that cold symptoms generally carry on for a week or two. Luckily in that particular case mine all left in a few days so I went to the music festival with a clear conscience.

With this current round I think it peaked at a 3 on a scale of 10. But only for a few days. Since then it'd continued to linger around 0.0 to 0.5 --- really quite minor.

I'd say all told it'd probably one and one-half hours from when I left my house to when I got home so as to get tested. It's not only the 1.5 hours all that consumes. It breaks up my day and affects the things I will not do because I know I do have to leave my house.

I'm extremely time conscious and protect my time to the utmost. There always too much I want to do and I resist any unnecessary time robbers.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm

I appreciate your view, it was quite similar to mine. I always ponder ‘what am I going to do with this information’. Then I had a couple of friends who tested for Covid immediately after a few symptoms. They tested positive and contacted their doctor who prescribed paxlovid. They took it and had minimal additional symptoms and recovered quickly. I changed my mind about testing promptly. I think the few minutes to test and do something else while waiting the 15 minutes to get the result is definitely worth it. Vinny has apparently been sick for over a week. That is on the long side for a regular cold in my experience. YMMV.
Several years ago I did come down with symptoms of a cold. Normally I'd do nothing about it but this time I was going to be going to a music festival several days later and did not want to be a germ spreader at it. So I went to my doctor to see how bad it was. He showed me a chart on his wall that showed me that cold symptoms generally carry on for a week or two. Luckily in that particular case mine all left in a few days so I went to the music festival with a clear conscience.

With this current round I think it peaked at a 3 on a scale of 10. But only for a few days. Since then it'd continued to linger around 0.0 to 0.5 --- really quite minor.

I'd say all told it'd probably one and one-half hours from when I left my house to when I got home so as to get tested. It's not only the 1.5 hours all that consumes. It breaks up my day and affects the things I will not do because I know I do have to leave my house.

I'm extremely time conscious and protect my time to the utmost. There always too much I want to do and I resist any unnecessary time robbers.
Self testing is at most 3 or 4 minutes to get the kit, open and read instructions, swab, and then put swab in the vial and then solution in the test strip. Then do whatever you want for the 10 - 15 minute wait time, and 30 seconds to read results and throw away the materials.

Not an option?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 pm

Self testing is at most 3 or 4 minutes to get the kit, open and read instructions, swab, and then put swab in the vial and then solution in the test strip. Then do whatever you want for the 10 - 15 minute wait time, and 30 seconds to read results and throw away the materials.

Not an option?

You must have missed the part above wherein I described that someone here plus elsewhere had finally motivated me to test myself.

I pulled out my kits. It said to check the expiration date. Both expired. Puzzled why they would have two essential items in the kits with expiration dates six months apart.

One expired February 2022 while the other expired August 2022. Therefore post February 2022 what good was the still good item do me when the other no longer existed?

So with worthless kits I would have to leave my house to do a round trip somewhere to buy those kits. Now talking about both $$$$ cost and time cost.

I am NOT a run around or errand person. My car has been sitting on my front lawn since I came home from my softball game on Sunday. I've been putting off going to Stop & Shop to buy some needed food. I am now forced to tomorrow morning. But otherwise I'm content to be home and resist being away to do things that don't give me any enjoyment while away from home. I try to tie in all those essential things - getting gas, buying food in the same trip and, hopefully, while I'm already out doing something else.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:41 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 pm

Not an option?
You must have missed the part above wherein I described that someone here plus elsewhere had finally motivated me to test myself.

I pulled out my kits. It said to check the expiration date. Both expired. Puzzled why they would have two essential items in the kits with expiration dates six months apart.

One expired February 2022 while the other expired August 2022. Therefore post February 2022 what good was the still good item do me when the other no longer existed?

So with worthless kits I would have to leave my house to do a round trip somewhere to buy those kits. Now talking about both $$$$ cost and time cost.

I am NOT a run around or errand person. My car has been sitting on my front lawn since I came home from my softball game on Sunday. I've been putting off going to Stop & Shop to buy some needed food. I am now forced to tomorrow morning. But otherwise I'm content to be home and resist being away to do things that don't give me any enjoyment while away from home. I try to tie in all those essential things - getting gas, buying food in the same trip and, hopefully, while I'm already out doing something else.
They probably were still good. Did you not see my post about the website that gave updated expiration dates for a whole bunch of test kits by manufacturers and lot number?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm

They probably were still good. Did you not see my post about the website that gave updated expiration dates for a whole bunch of test kits by manufacturers and lot number?

I definitely did.

How after reading this from my provider - in part .... "As far as your symptoms go if they are fairly mild there is no need for any additional treatment outside of basic symptom support such as plenty of hydration, tylenol ibuprofen for any headaches or body aches nasal decongestant for sinus congestion etc. If your symptoms worsen over the next few days or you experience any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath please call for a virtual visit. You may also schedule for a PCR test if you want to." .... I took that as an out to not go out of my way to not do anything else.

We all think we are rational and logical people but I know that I have to feel something emotionally so as to take action.

I can be quite fearful and emotional about certain things. But the possibilities of me having Covid with the concomitant need to then be tested .... just left me no sense of urgency. Just did not stir up any emotions. On the other hand when I did feel something on my body earlier in this year when I normally don't I did get to the doctor quickly as on top of thinking about it it also did stir up some emotions.

Also, if I got a negative from the tests would I (you) fully accept their results under the standard of "They probably were still good"?

If I got a positive I'm sure either one of us would have wanted to follow up with tests that would seem to have more validity.

Do you get the PSA tests?

My doctor told me that they produce so many false negatives that overall the odds are in your favor to never get tested. Treating all those false positives end up with more collective bad than the collective good of getting treated if it had correctly tested you.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:24 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/670469/

IDEAS
What Doctors Still Don’t Understand About Long COVID
Even mild COVID-19 is at least correlated with a startlingly wide spectrum of seemingly every illness. We need a much better taxonomy to address people’s suffering.

By Adam Gaffney
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:50 am

I'm excited to take a covid test. As soon as they also check my sample for: RSV, SARS1 and its "variants", MERS-CoV and its "variants", Influenza H1N1 and H3N2.
Attachments
CCP-covid-kennels.gif
CCP-covid-kennels.gif (7.54 MiB) Viewed 41749 times
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm

If you have insurance, the tests are free.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:36 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm

If you have insurance, the tests are free.

If you are speaking to me ....with the Medicare coverage I have chosen just about anything medically related is free.

When I was in Stop & Shop today they had a sign up about flu and Covid shots available without appointment. Prompted me to ask about getting both at some point while I was getting my food (would be fifth Covid shot). They told me to either make an appointment or come back around noon (It was about 9:30 AM I think when I was there).

I was going to get those shots today because they conveniently fit into me already being there. Not enough of a priority to take extra time / special trip to get them. Same for getting the tests for free. No $$$$ cost but a disruption to my day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 pm

I'm now in third week of "being sick". But super mild and similar to what I have experienced other times in my life - pre-Covid.

But for you who have definitely had Covid:

Medium COVID Could Be the Most Dangerous COVID
After you’re infected, the first few months may pose the greatest risks.

By Benjamin Mazer

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ns/671684/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:21 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 pm
I'm now in third week of "being sick". But super mild and similar to what I have experienced other times in my life - pre-Covid.

By Benjamin Mazer

Interesting article. Thanks. I'm glad you have have super mild symptoms so far. I had my annual doctor visit yesterday. My doctor told me this had been a tough year; for one thing, her mother-in-law died of COVID19. I hope you get well soon.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:04 pm

vnatale wrote:

By Benjamin Mazer

You shouldn’t get a shot while you have Covid. And if you have it, the resulting immunity will be what the shot is attempting to duplicate, arguably not effectively.
Now it’s too late to test. But it’s 99 percent you had it IMO. I’m surprised at your doctor.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:04 pm

vnatale wrote:

By Benjamin Mazer

You shouldn’t get a shot while you have Covid. And if you have it, the resulting immunity will be what the shot is attempting to duplicate, arguably not effectively.
Now it’s too late to test. But it’s 99 percent you had it IMO. I’m surprised at your doctor.

I am on the other end of it. 99% that I never got it. Just almost identical to what I experienced many times pre-Covid. Which leads to again asking the same question. Will we not still get colds and be sick in the same ways we did pre-Covid?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:01 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 pm
Will we not still get colds and be sick in the same ways we did pre-Covid?
IDK, zero expertise. I have read a couple of articles (sort of skimmed them really) that suggest the Covid virus is intermingling with other flu viruses and changing them. (This shouldn't be surprising as that is what viruses do...the only substantive question is will the evolution be good or worse for human health in the future.)
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:43 am

This popped up in the YouTube suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXFroXYBFEQ

Hard to believe less than a year ago there were lockdowns, curfews at night, allowed out for an hour a day etc...
Guess dropping the draconian rules had nothing to do with an election in November ::)
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:02 am

Repeat COVID infections could be deadly: study

https://nypost.com/2022/11/10/repeat-co ... s%20Alerts
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:35 am

Indeed, the outside world is full of risks. One of which is communism/authoritarianism (those governments have a bad history?) If the oligarch owned media and owned politicians can convince the public of an existential threat which requires suspending individual rights...
Healthy-people-quarantined-in-sheds.gif
Healthy-people-quarantined-in-sheds.gif (6.95 MiB) Viewed 41328 times
Double-mask-double-empathy.jpg
Double-mask-double-empathy.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 41328 times
Winter-holiday-SURGE.jpg
Winter-holiday-SURGE.jpg (199.7 KiB) Viewed 41328 times
Vaccine-effectiveness-wanes.gif
Vaccine-effectiveness-wanes.gif (976.91 KiB) Viewed 41327 times
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:03 am

Attachments
Eat-masked-OBEY.gif
Eat-masked-OBEY.gif (6.77 MiB) Viewed 41296 times
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 am

There is now an ICD diagnostic code for "unvaxxed."
A set of international codes are used by the medical industry for billing purposes under Medicare-Medicaid and the private insurance companies, but it’s not just about billing.

These codes are part of the International Classification of Disease (ICD) system set forth by the United Nations World Health Organization and they’re about to get far more invasive.

This system was originally created after World War II for the purpose of tracking the diagnosis of major diseases within a population. But over the years, there have been 11 major revisions, and with each revision the data being collected on each individual has become more precise and all-inclusive.

More than 1.6 million clinical situations can now be coded, according to the WHO website.

And it’s also become more coercive, to the point where it’s become impossible for doctors to get reimbursed by insurance companies if they don’t upload all the requested data points.

According to an April 2016 article in the American Journal of Neuroradiology, “Across the years, it has become an integral part of the payment infrastructure of the U.S. healthcare system along with the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding system for medical procedures.”

The ICD system really grew into an electronic data-mining beast with the passage by Congress of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) in 2012. The digitization of healthcare records was fully implemented with the upgrade to ICD-10 after two congressional delays in 2016.

Since then, there has literally been a numeric code created for almost any diagnosis you can think of, and some you would never think of (Search “crazy ICD-10 codes” and you will see what I’m talking about).

Fast forward now to April 2022. This is when the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) announced a new code that anyone who is awake and aware of the growing medical tyranny should be concerned about. After some delays, the new code was rolled out in October 2022 and became available to nearly every medical clinic and hospital in January 2023.

What is this new code? It’s Code Number Z28.310. This is the code for a very peculiar “diagnosis” since it’s not a diagnosis at all, but an invasion of privacy and likely to be used against many people in the future. This is the code your doctor will log into the computer system that is accessed by government and private health insurers informing them of your Covid vaccine status.
https://www.technocracy.news/medical-pr ... -unvaxxed/
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:50 am

https://reason.com/2023/01/19/facebook- ... ensorship/

Not that this is surprising but interesting nonetheless. I especially like that Facebook employees referred to the CDC as "collegues."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:01 am

A take on what’s happening in China with COVID (now that they are out of there zero COVID policy)

https://youtu.be/0-g1_e3iezk
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 pm

I went into a big chain hospital today. No masking requirements for entry or otherwise.

I gather that this is still not the case in some US states?
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:04 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 pm
I went into a big chain hospital today. No masking requirements for entry or otherwise.

LOL

NY Gov Kathy Hochul on rehiring unvaccinated health care workers: Not the 'right answer'
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

In my part of Western Massachusetts it is always masks for anything medically related. I think that might be the only places where that is the case.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

In my part of Western Massachusetts it is always masks for anything medically related. I think that might be the only places where that is the case.
No the hospitals and doctors offices in my area are still mask required, even when you are going to something unrelated like a dermatologist.

Also, last week my wife went to get a name change at the local social security administration and the local DPS office for a new driver's license. Both places required masks.