Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:40 am
I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:57 pm
I have the feeling that they are rushing this vax update through the process, again. I don't care what anyone says, the first vax was a fail. It underperformed bigly, and there have been more side effects than everyone hoped. Rushing this update is not giving me confidence.
I wish I could remember where I read this but it was a good read.

The effectivity of the initial vaxes do wear off quite quickly. The best "vax" for longevity is having had Covid. They all "worked" which for vaxes includes prevention and mitigation of symptoms. I had both the initial and booster and got way sick but not dangerously sick. At least personally I wonder what might of happened if I didn't have a little of that mitigation stuff going for me.

In any event, I think we are both endemic and this thing really is now like any version of the flu. You can opt to get your annual flu shot or not. If you are young and healthy most likely not a big deal. If you are older and/or have other health issues, it's probably wise to get both shots.
Yeah I am really on the fence about this booster. At a minimum I think I'll let the early adopters be the alpha testers.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:29 am

It’s projected flu shots will probably be mRNA based in the next couple of years.

Flu shots do not necessarily keep you from getting the flu even if the annual strain “guess” is accurate…CDC is pretty clear on that point. However, they are deemed successful if they mitigate symptom severity…just like Covid shots.

Outside the healthcare profession, anyone aware of Covid mandates now? (And many healthcare companies mandate their employees get flu shots and several others). I’m aware of one…Entry into Canada.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 pm

Djokovic (not sick and with acquired immunity) wasn't allowed to play US open. Masks still required on public transport.

SARS1 coronavirus 2004, H1N1 pandemic 2009, MERS coronavirus 2012, SARS2 2020. So we should expect another outbreak in just a few years, and the Democrat position is that there was no government overreach in the 2020 response.
Attachments
Heat-wave-muzzling-kids.png
Heat-wave-muzzling-kids.png (162.33 KiB) Viewed 21154 times
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:06 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 pm
Djokovic (not sick and with acquired immunity) wasn't allowed to play US open. Masks still required on public transport.

SARS1 coronavirus 2004, H1N1 pandemic 2009, MERS coronavirus 2012, SARS2 2020. So we should expect another outbreak in just a few years, and the Democrat position is that there was no government overreach in the 2020 response.
Man, that picture is absurd. Do they really think they are any healthier by doing that than the rest of the country and world is (that doesn't do that)? I mean really, what are they thinking?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:25 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:45 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:06 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 pm

Man, that picture is absurd. Do they really think they are any healthier by doing that than the rest of the country and world is (that doesn't do that)? I mean really, what are they thinking?
Control and power. There is no other answer except maybe that the lawmakers are completely insane, but that's not likely. Evil, yes. Insane, no.
Seriously...look at that "authority figure" in the black and white stripes. I'll bet his sole purpose for being there is to enforce rules. Freakin fascist commies.

On a more serious note...yeah, kinda silly at this point, but then again it is the left coast.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 pm

I don’t think it’s based on evil. It’s stupidity and ignorance based on political correctness.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:03 pm

So yesterday morning I woke up with the inkling of a sore throat.

Saturday for 11 hours I'd been at The Big E - located in West Springfield, MA. It set it all-time attendance record that day. 177,000 people! It felt it. I've been going almost every year for over 40 years sometimes three times a day. That day felt like there were way more people than I'd ever experienced -- both in terms of the people I was seeing and the traffic in and out.

Of those 11 hours, I was probably outside for around 8 1/2 hours an inside people for the balance.

So the logical place to have picked up something?

I did all my normal exercising yesterday.

A friend told me I should inform my periodontist office when I went to an appointment yesterday afternoon that I had a sore throat and had been to a super spreader event.

I did tell someone in the office and her response was merely, "Keep it to yourself."

I then went to Stop & Shop. While there I was sneezing fairly frequently.

As the day went on the throat felt somewhat worse.

I was fully expecting it to fully progress this morning to be even worse but to my delight it actually felt almost better.

Today I've done some sneezing and coughing but minimal.

It's almost like I've had a compressed sickness wherein it started yesterday and is already on its way out today.

It's the most sick I have felt since prior to March 2020 (not been sick at all since). On a scale of 10 .. it currently rates a 2 or 3.

I have some of those free testing kits but I've not pulled them out.

This feels exactly like when I've had sore throats and feeling sick in the past. Isn't this type of thing still going to happen to us, i.e., totally non-covid related? And, with more frequency than catching covid?

So I'm just assuming it is the same and not covid-related. It has not caused me to restrict one activity that I would have normally done.

I have had the two initial covid shots plus the two additional boosters (last one last month).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:30 pm

All I can tell you is that my Covid was about like you described.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:30 pm

All I can tell you is that my Covid was about like you described.

My memory was that yours seemed to be much more severe than mine?

At this point I'm sneezing some and have a dry cough. Still doing everything I'd normally do. But glad today is not an exercise day. We will see how I feel tomorrow when I wake up and how I feel and if I think I can exercise on an exercise day.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:03 pm
A friend told me I should inform my periodontist office when I went to an appointment yesterday afternoon that I had a sore throat and had been to a super spreader event.

This feels exactly like when I've had sore throats and feeling sick in the past.
A couple of things...

It seems to me that we should no longer be using the phrase "super spreader event". When I got Covid back in May (and then gave it to my wife), it's fairly certain that I got it from a friend at the gym who kept insisting that he merely had a really bad cold. If I am correct about how both my wife and I got it, neither had anything to do with being in a large crowd. Also schools are back in session with most kids in most areas (along with their teachers) unmasked. Are the kids attending 180 super spreader events this school year? I guess deep down what I don't like about the term though is that it carries a connotation of having brought the sickness on oneself by doing something stupid. We humans are mostly social creatures so it's normal that we gather together.

When my wife and I had Omicron BA2.12.1 (don't know our sub-lineage for sure but that was by far the dominant one at the time), we both felt like we had a mild(ish) cold. Runny nose and a bit of coughing. One day of mild body aches for me. When exercising I felt like I was missing maybe 10% of my strength. Other than reducing our contact with people a bit, we didn't curb our activities or work. It passed in 5-7 days and we've had no lingering effects.

We were both double vaxxed and each did a booster last fall. No more shots for us unless/until there's much better data to support their efficaciousness. Don't even get me started about the flimsy testing of Pfizer & Moderna's bivalent shots and the FDA & CDC green lighting those. It's just shameful.

Vinny, can you at least use one of your home tests and let us know your results? Otherwise you're kind of just posting to say that you may have a cold. Plus, I'm interested to hear anecdotes about how older folks fare with the Omicron versions (I just turned 64 and wife is 55). Hope you feel better and please let us know whether you test positive or negative.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:52 am

barrett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:03 pm

This feels exactly like when I've had sore throats and feeling sick in the past.

A couple of things...

It seems to me that we should no longer be using the phrase "super spreader event". When I got Covid back in May (and then gave it to my wife), it's fairly certain that I got it from a friend at the gym who kept insisting that he merely had a really bad cold. If I am correct about how both my wife and I got it, neither had anything to do with being in a large crowd. Also schools are back in session with most kids in most areas (along with their teachers) unmasked. Are the kids attending 180 super spreader events this school year? I guess deep down what I don't like about the term though is that it carries a connotation of having brought the sickness on oneself by doing something stupid. We humans are mostly social creatures so it's normal that we gather together.

When my wife and I had Omicron BA2.12.1 (don't know our sub-lineage for sure but that was by far the dominant one at the time), we both felt like we had a mild(ish) cold. Runny nose and a bit of coughing. One day of mild body aches for me. When exercising I felt like I was missing maybe 10% of my strength. Other than reducing our contact with people a bit, we didn't curb our activities or work. It passed in 5-7 days and we've had no lingering effects.

We were both double vaxxed and each did a booster last fall. No more shots for us unless/until there's much better data to support their efficaciousness. Don't even get me started about the flimsy testing of Pfizer & Moderna's bivalent shots and the FDA & CDC green lighting those. It's just shameful.

Vinny, can you at least use one of your home tests and let us know your results? Otherwise you're kind of just posting to say that you may have a cold. Plus, I'm interested to hear anecdotes about how older folks fare with the Omicron versions (I just turned 64 and wife is 55). Hope you feel better and please let us know whether you test positive or negative.

I should have put 'super spreader event" in quotes as that was my friend's term. Not that I was agreeing with him.

I was posting to describe my symptoms and asking is it (highly) possible that I just have a cold? The same type of things that I have experienced for years? That it is not at all covid related?

But you have pushed me (much) closer to using one of my home tests.

The way I'm approaching it fits with the way I treat all maladies that hit my body. Don't do anything and let it pass.

My medicine cabinet is almost bare with the only things being in it are a contact lens case, contact lens solutions, floss, and toothpaste. NO over-the-counter medications of any form.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:52 am
I should have put 'super spreader event" in quotes as that was my friend's term. Not that I was agreeing with him.

I was posting to describe my symptoms and asking is it (highly) possible that I just have a cold? The same type of things that I have experienced for years? That it is not at all covid related?

Got it on the super spreader terminology. Thanks.

One of my go-to resources for Covid has been Dr. John Campbell from the UK. He always tries to look at whatever data are available and his main source there in the UK seems to be the Office for National Statistics (ONS). One of the things Campbell reported on several times earlier this year was that common cold symptoms and Covid symptoms during Omicron times are so close together that one really needs to test to find out what is going on. There was even a period of time in the UK that people reporting cold-like symptoms (like what you are experiencing) were MORE likely to have Covid than a cold. My recollection is that the numbers stayed around 50/50 for quite a long time.

When we had Covid back in May, the symptoms were definitely like what one would expect for a cold. In fact, I think for both of us, our symptoms went away more quickly than they usually do with colds.

Somewhat related... here in CT the Omicron positivity rate has been hovering around 10% for months. That used to be considered alarmingly high but I haven't heard anyone talking about it much. I just figure that if I am in a group of 100 people, at any given time about 10 of them have Omicron. Of course these percentages are almost certainly skewed due to the fact that people who feel fine are normally not being tested now. Maybe a better way to quote that 10% figure would be something like, "Of those feeling crappy about one in ten have Omicron."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 am

barrett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:52 am

Got it on the super spreader terminology. Thanks.

One of my go-to resources for Covid has been Dr. John Campbell from the UK. He always tries to look at whatever data are available and his main source there in the UK seems to be the Office for National Statistics (ONS). One of the things Campbell reported on several times earlier this year was that common cold symptoms and Covid symptoms during Omicron times are so close together that one really needs to test to find out what is going on. There was even a period of time in the UK that people reporting cold-like symptoms (like what you are experiencing) were MORE likely to have Covid than a cold. My recollection is that the numbers stayed around 50/50 for quite a long time.

When we had Covid back in May, the symptoms were definitely like what one would expect for a cold. In fact, I think for both of us, our symptoms went away more quickly than they usually do with colds.

Somewhat related... here in CT the Omicron positivity rate has been hovering around 10% for months. That used to be considered alarmingly high but I haven't heard anyone talking about it much. I just figure that if I am in a group of 100 people, at any given time about 10 of them have Omicron. Of course these percentages are almost certainly skewed due to the fact that people who feel fine are normally not being tested now. Maybe a better way to quote that 10% figure would be something like, "Of those feeling crappy about one in ten have Omicron."

You did succeed in getting me to test. I pulled out the tests and was ready to follow through until it said to check the expiry dates.

Mine were February 2022 and August 2022. Said to not use the tests if past expiration date.

I will now go to my medical portal to update my doctor and see what he recommends doing.

My question would be if it is a cold or Omicron that have similar symptoms ... what is the difference in how you treat them? What I did not fully explain in describing my near empty medicine cabinet is that i strongly believe in T-I-M-E being the greater healer. I.e., letting things run their course. Of course, I have never been in any kind of life-threatening situations and I have taken Tylenol with codeine for extreme pain.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 am
You did succeed in getting me to test. I pulled out the tests and was ready to follow through until it said to check the expiry dates.

Mine were February 2022 and August 2022. Said to not use the tests if past expiration date.

I will now go to my medical portal to update my doctor and see what he recommends doing.

My question would be if it is a cold or Omicron that have similar symptoms ... what is the difference in how you treat them? What I did not fully explain in describing my near empty medicine cabinet is that i strongly believe in T-I-M-E being the greater healer. I.e., letting things run their course. Of course, I have never been in any kind of life-threatening situations and I have taken Tylenol with codeine for extreme pain.
I'd be curious and do the test anyway. The worst thing that can happen is you spend 20 minutes and then get a false positive or a false negative.

I think you are absolutely right about counting on your body's immune system to do its thing. But ask your doctor. I am just some Internet weirdo. Assuming the vaccines have long term benefits (which does seem to be the case) and you do have Omicron, your T & B cells should have recognized the invading agent and are now producing antibodies to fight it off.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:14 am

Do some Google searches. Tests are probably ok for several months past expiration date. There is a list available (I don’t have with me) that tells new dates by mfg date and company. I think I saw it on Popular Science but not sure. Good luck.

Edit: Supposedly Walgreens also has free Covid antigen tests for those on Medicare - up to 8 per month per person.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 am

I'd be curious and do the test anyway. The worst thing that can happen is you spend 20 minutes and then get a false positive or a false negative.

I think you are absolutely right about counting on your body's immune system to do its thing. But ask your doctor. I am just some Internet weirdo. Assuming the vaccines have long term benefits (which does seem to be the case) and you do have Omicron, your T & B cells should have recognized the invading agent and are now producing antibodies to fight it off.

Use the tests that are expired?

I'm still awaiting a response from my doctor.

I just came in the house after having been outside for nearly 3 hours. Felt much better being outside. I think I coughed once, no sneezing.

A friend had come by for us to go buy some shrub-like plantings for my house. Then we planted them. For some reason my soil has acquired a cement-like quality (it's supposed to be sandy underneath) and it took a lot of strength and time to get the holes dug. While doing so I was not breathing hard or otherwise feeling sick or weakened in any way.

I think I've lowered by 2 or 3 to now a 0.5 to 1 on the 10 scale.

My main point is that don't we still do get colds? Same as we did in the old days before the appearance of Covid-19? And, when we got these colds we basically waited for them to end?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:14 am

Do some Google searches. Tests are probably ok for several months past expiration date. There is a list available (I don’t have with me) that tells new dates by mfg date and company. I think I saw it on Popular Science but not sure. Good luck.

Edit: Supposedly Walgreens also has free Covid antigen tests for those on Medicare - up to 8 per month per person.

Normally I pay zero attention to expiration dates on food. I go by how the food looks and smells. A long time ago I asked my then doctor about expiration dates on medications / over-the-counter things. He said he uses them, though they'd probably be less potent.

These expiration dates seemed more serious to obey. Each were to the day and one of the items expired February 2022 while another of the items expired August 2022. Seems strange to have a package in which one of the items expires six months before the presumably other essential item in the test kit?

Good to know about Walgreens as I have one not far (in relative terms when you live in a rural area) from me and I am on Medicare.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:40 pm

Sure we still get colds, and that might be what you have.
If you have unusual fatigue that comes and goes over the next couple of weeks, that would suggest Covid to me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm

This is what I got back from my doctor's office less than 1.5 hours after I'd sent a message regarding symptoms and the expired test dates:

"Vincent, There has been recent information put out that there are certain brands of test that remain stable for a certain number of months after expiration. Just FYI i believe it is on the CDC website. As far as your symptoms go if they are fairly mild there is no need for any additional treatment outside of basic symptom support such as plenty of hydration, tylenol ibuprofen for any headaches or body aches nasal decongestant for sinus congestion etc. If your symptoms worsen over the next few days or you experience any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath please call for a virtual visit. You may also schedule for a PCR test if you want to. Let us know if you need anything else"

I love my medical provider for getting back to me this quickly plus usually getting an afternoon appointment a few hours after I'd asked for one in the morning.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:45 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 pm
I don’t think it’s based on evil. It’s stupidity and ignorance based on political correctness.
I was against lockdowns from the beginning for a lot of reasons and was shocked at how much of society readily went along with them. Now we are 2+ years down the road and reaping the repercussions..supply chain issues, inflation (from supply chain issues and stimulus checks), children who lost 1-2 years of education and communication skills. people who lost businesses and jobs due to the seemingly random decisions of politicians as to what could and couldn't stay open, the "Great Resignation" as people discovered they didn't actually like working or going into an office...

In general, has society learned that lockdowns are not the right approach or are the same people who supported them before going to support them again at the next go 'round?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:55 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm

This is what I got back from my doctor's office less than 1.5 hours after I'd sent a message regarding symptoms and the expired test dates:

"Vincent, There has been recent information put out that there are certain brands of test that remain stable for a certain number of months after expiration. Just FYI i believe it is on the CDC website. As far as your symptoms go if they are fairly mild there is no need for any additional treatment outside of basic symptom support such as plenty of hydration, tylenol ibuprofen for any headaches or body aches nasal decongestant for sinus congestion etc. If your symptoms worsen over the next few days or you experience any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath please call for a virtual visit. You may also schedule for a PCR test if you want to. Let us know if you need anything else"

I love my medical provider for getting back to me this quickly plus usually getting an afternoon appointment a few hours after I'd asked for one in the morning.

I am now in week two of having something. I continue to experience the effects of a minor cold - some sneezing and coughing but nothing to cause to me to not do anything I'd normally be doing.

So do not believe I have Covid and, therefore, no need to be tested for it.

Again, it seems that among all this legitimate Covid concern ... we are all going to continue to get colds and get sick at the same rate and in the same ways we did in the past?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:54 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:55 am
vnatale wrote:

I am now in week two of having something. I continue to experience the effects of a minor cold - some sneezing and coughing but nothing to cause to me to not do anything I'd normally be doing.

Again, it seems that among all this legitimate Covid concern ... we are all going to continue to get colds and get sick at the same rate and in the same ways we did in the past?
Vinny, I'm actually quite surprised that you would put your personal belief above the science of testing for Covid. Would you do the same if you had several symptoms that might indicate cancer or heart trouble? What do you perceive to be the downside of testing, i.e. getting more information to aid your decision making process?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Vinny, I'm actually quite surprised that you would put your personal belief above the science of testing for Covid. Would you do the same if you had several symptoms that might indicate cancer or heart trouble? What do you perceive to be the downside of testing, i.e. getting more information to aid your decision making process?

It comes down to probabilities. What were the probabilities that what I'm experiencing is the exact same things I've been experiencing now for eight decades versus the probabilities it was now Covid? Since the symptoms were exactly similar to what I prior experienced wouldn't it make the most sense to assume that is what I've been experiencing is some form of cold?

The downside of testing it the time cost. Doing something with my time I do not enjoy in place of something I do enjoy doing.

Earlier in the year I detected something in my body that I'd never detected before. Of course your mind always goes to cancer. I had that looked at with a few days of its appearance.

So something new ... definitely will get it looked at quickly. Something I've experienced innumerable times and know the routine ..... treat it the same way I've treated it in the past. Which in the case of a cold letting it runs its course and try to go about my life as much as normal.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
vnatale wrote:

My question is what difference does it make if he has Covid or the flu or some other random virus? Knowing you have cancer is considerably different than knowing you have Covid. What are you going to do differently if you know it is Covid as opposed to the regular flu?

A month ago myself and my wife got sick with the usual symptoms..fever, fatigue etc. We both stayed in bed and we were better in a few days. Knowing if it was Covid or the regular flu would have made no difference in how we approached it.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
vnatale wrote:

My question is what difference does it make if he has Covid or the flu or some other random virus? Knowing you have cancer is considerably different than knowing you have Covid. What are you going to do differently if you know it is Covid as opposed to the regular flu?

A month ago myself and my wife got sick with the usual symptoms..fever, fatigue etc. We both stayed in bed and we were better in a few days. Knowing if it was Covid or the regular flu would have made no difference in how we approached it.
I appreciate your view, it was quite similar to mine. I always ponder ‘what am I going to do with this information’. Then I had a couple of friends who tested for Covid immediately after a few symptoms. They tested positive and contacted their doctor who prescribed paxlovid. They took it and had minimal additional symptoms and recovered quickly. I changed my mind about testing promptly. I think the few minutes to test and do something else while waiting the 15 minutes to get the result is definitely worth it. Vinny has apparently been sick for over a week. That is on the long side for a regular cold in my experience. YMMV.