Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Has anybody seen anyone wearing double masks?

I haven't seen a single instance and I've been out and about quite a lot.

Maybe we've reached peak Fauci Fatigue.
Watching tonight's Celtics / Hawks game it looked like the Celtic players and coach were...
Ah, yes. The Woke NBA. We should all follow their lead.

How do you even force yourself to watch that? It's not even sports anymore, it's just a propaganda show. Rating are down so low, they are quaking in their Nike hightops.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11611
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:10 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Has anybody seen anyone wearing double masks?

I haven't seen a single instance and I've been out and about quite a lot.

Maybe we've reached peak Fauci Fatigue.
My wife does. I had considered it only because it supposedly keeps your glasses from fogging up, but i’m used to walking around with bad vision as i’ve been doing it for a year.
The annual inflation rate for the United States is 1.4% for the 12 months ended January 2021
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 am

At one time my vision was so bad all I saw were outlines without glasses ..as I got older that got better but reading is a problem so I use bifocals ...I think my dad was right ...

With the masks fogging I would have been in real trouble years ago , I wouldn’t be able to see much
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 am

pugchief wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Has anybody seen anyone wearing double masks?

I haven't seen a single instance and I've been out and about quite a lot.

Maybe we've reached peak Fauci Fatigue.


Watching tonight's Celtics / Hawks game it looked like the Celtic players and coach were...


Ah, yes. The Woke NBA. We should all follow their lead.

How do you even force yourself to watch that? It's not even sports anymore, it's just a propaganda show. Rating are down so low, they are quaking in their Nike hightops.


Because I love basketball? At a certain time of year...in one week I will have played two nights of basketball, watched three or four Celtic games, watched two Providence College basketball games, watched in person six high school basketball games.

I watch Celtic games, including the 1/2 hour to hour pregame shows and hour postgame show. It's basketball. Not propaganda. As I'm writing this I'm listening to the Celtics being discussed on sports talk radio.

It's a great sport and I love watching it being played by the best players in the universe.

Did you ever play? When was the last time you played?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 am

At one time my vision was so bad all I saw were outlines without glasses ..as I got older that got better but reading is a problem so I use bifocals ...I think my dad was right ...

With the masks fogging I would have been in real trouble years ago , I wouldn’t be able to see much


At my worst when I was younger I was 20 / 400 in one eye. Meaning what the normal person could see at 400 away I had to be 20 feet away to see the same thing. Always thought that in the old days of survival of the fittest I would not have lasted long as the sabre tooth tiger would have been on me because it'd be far too late before I finally could see it.

Same as you my eyes did improve as I got older so that that eye went to 20 / 200.

I started wearing contact lens in 1968. The latest versions improved my eyesight to no worst than 20 /25.

However, since I've been home as of last mid-March I've not worn them at all. Nor glasses.

I'm able to read and do all this computer work without any aid. And, my near sightedness and lack of ability to see far is not really an issue when I'm not getting off my property.

I do wear glasses in the infrequent times I get off my property and am driving. But I take them off as soon as I get to the supermarket as I cannot stand them being all steamed up from my breathing. I see well enough to make my way around the supermarket.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4294
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by sophie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Has anybody seen anyone wearing double masks?

I haven't seen a single instance and I've been out and about quite a lot.

Maybe we've reached peak Fauci Fatigue.
I've seen a lot of double masking, and no evidence of FF (Fauci-Fatigue - love that!!!). But then, I live in ground zero of mask zealotry.

Hey dualstow, does double masking actually prevent glasses from fogging up? I've been having to do all my shopping half blind and it's beyond irritating. Not sure I'd trade off not being able to breathe though....one mask is bad enough on that score. Unless I combine it with that plastic gizmo that pug recommended, for lifting the mask off your face. That's just too much facegear to contemplate though.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by glennds » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:04 am

pugchief wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm
[

Watching tonight's Celtics / Hawks game it looked like the Celtic players and coach were...
Ah, yes. The Woke NBA. We should all follow their lead.

How do you even force yourself to watch that? It's not even sports anymore, it's just a propaganda show. Rating are down so low, they are quaking in their Nike hightops.
Surely you mean Nike kneeltops.
Didn't you get the memo about the name change?
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 am
Hey dualstow, does double masking actually prevent glasses from fogging up? I've been having to do all my shopping half blind and it's beyond irritating. Not sure I'd trade off not being able to breathe though....one mask is bad enough on that score. Unless I combine it with that plastic gizmo that pug recommended, for lifting the mask off your face. That's just too much facegear to contemplate though.
Luckily I have contact lenses in addition to my glasses, so whenever I go to the store I just wear contacts to avoid the fogging. But if I didn't have contacts, I probably would have considered an alternate solution like putting an adhesive strip on the top part of the mask closest to my glasses, forcing most of the air to go around the sides and bottom of the mask.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11611
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 am
Hey dualstow, does double masking actually prevent glasses from fogging up? I've been having to do all my shopping half blind and it's beyond irritating. Not sure I'd trade off not being able to breathe though....one mask is bad enough on that score. Unless I combine it with that plastic gizmo that pug recommended, for lifting the mask off your face. That's just too much facegear to contemplate though.
I don’t know. It’s just something I’ve heard. I don’t double mask and the wife wears contacts. O0 However, when I get the urge to wear my sunglasses (which are also prescription) in spring or summer, I’ll probably try doubling up to see if it works.

It might be worth trying at home just to see.
The annual inflation rate for the United States is 1.4% for the 12 months ended January 2021
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:04 am
pugchief wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm
[

Watching tonight's Celtics / Hawks game it looked like the Celtic players and coach were...
Ah, yes. The Woke NBA. We should all follow their lead.

How do you even force yourself to watch that? It's not even sports anymore, it's just a propaganda show. Rating are down so low, they are quaking in their Nike hightops.
Surely you mean Nike kneeltops.
Didn't you get the memo about the name change?
LOL, right, they need knee support now, not ankle support.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Among some of the other COVID-19 protocol differences that were instituted by MLB:

1) To enhance contact tracing, all individuals covered in the protocol (players, managers and staff) will wear Kinexon devices while on team property or traveling with the team. Any who test positive for the coronavirus must isolate for at least 10 days. A Covered Individual who has been identified as having been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID must quarantine for seven days and must test negative on the fifth day or later to be cleared. Last year, there was just the requirement of two negative tests 24 hours apart to return from quarantine.

2) Stricter rules govern players, managers and coaches outside the ballpark as well. They can’t attend indoor gatherings of 10 or more people; eat at indoor restaurants, bars and lounges; or go to fitness or wellness centers, entertainment venues or casinos. During spring training, Covered Individuals and their households must quarantine at their homes with the exceptions of outdoor dining, individual outdoor physical activities and a doctor’s visit as well as going to work. Those who violate the Code of Conduct will be subject to pay forfeiture.

3) Specific to spring training, MLB also made changes that allow teams to limit the exposure of players during games. For exhibition games held between Feb. 27 and March 13, the defensive manager may call an inning “complete” before the third out if his pitcher has thrown at least 20 pitches. Games can be shortened to as few as five innings if both managers consent to it until March 13. Starting on March 14, games can be downsized to as little as seven innings. There are no overnight trips for teams during spring training. For road games, players will be encouraged to drive their own cars to avoid the bus � which most veteran players do anyway.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:14 pm

How Anthony Fauci Survived Donald Trump

The new White House chief medical adviser explains what it was really like to work for an administration that tried constantly to undermine him.


https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ource=feed
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:14 pm
How Anthony Fauci Survived Donald Trump

The new White House chief medical adviser explains what it was really like to work for an administration that tried constantly to undermine him.


https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ource=feed
This kind of posting links without adding anything to the discussion is called hit and run. I don’t think it’s horrible, but less is more.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Don » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:03 pm

I got my Pfizer vaccine yesterday. I'm at a higher risk than most because I have cancer. My arm was sore for about a day and I had mild flu symptoms that have already dissipated. It's given me a greater sense of reassurance already.
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Don wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:03 pm
I got my Pfizer vaccine yesterday. I'm at a higher risk than most because I have cancer. My arm was sore for about a day and I had mild flu symptoms that have already dissipated. It's given me a greater sense of reassurance already.
I have decided that I’ll get vaccinated when I can. Sorry to hear about the cancer. Good luck with it.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Don » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks!
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am

Not sure I really want to do it yet but I thought I'd check out the availability in my county (Pinellas, FL). The website where you make an appointment said it was only available to those over 65 which qualifies me but then it said "No Appointments Currently Available". No indication of when that might change.

Meanwhile my wife was required to get it at work so that effectively eliminates the most likely source of me getting the virus.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm

My friend lives a mile down the street from me. He is 70 and has cancer. He told me that when he recently checked he is not in the top category in Massachusetts to get the vaccine. The top category is those over 75 plus others.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Don » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm
My friend lives a mile down the street from me. He is 70 and has cancer. He told me that when he recently checked he is not in the top category in Massachusetts to get the vaccine. The top category is those over 75 plus others.
That's just horrible. And in a Blue state too.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by barrett » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 am

Don wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm
My friend lives a mile down the street from me. He is 70 and has cancer. He told me that when he recently checked he is not in the top category in Massachusetts to get the vaccine. The top category is those over 75 plus others.
That's just horrible. And in a Blue state too.
Vinny,

Your friend might not be in the "top category" to get vaccinated, but he is still eligible to do so. See here:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massa ... s#phase-2-

Massachusettes is well into phase 2, correct?
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 am

barrett wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 am

Don wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm

My friend lives a mile down the street from me. He is 70 and has cancer. He told me that when he recently checked he is not in the top category in Massachusetts to get the vaccine. The top category is those over 75 plus others.

That's just horrible. And in a Blue state too.


Vinny,

Your friend might not be in the "top category" to get vaccinated, but he is still eligible to do so. See here:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massa ... s#phase-2-

Massachusettes is well into phase 2, correct?


Thanks for this.

It appears that Massachusetts is into phase 2 as he described. But it required two medical conditions while, at the time, he only had one. During our phone call he disclosed that he's been disclosed with another form of cancer so that may now put him in the "top category".

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by barrett » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Here in CT the vaccine has been available to those 65 and over since about 2/8. And this timeline was just announced by the governor:

Residents age 55 and older, as well as teachers, will be eligible beginning March 1, according to the state’s new plan. Those groups will be followed by residents aged 45 to 54 on March 26, those aged 35 to 44 on April 12 and those aged 16 to 34 on May 3.

So, depending on availability, I should be able to get both doses done by the end of March and my wife should be done by the end of April. Of course, like every other state at the moment, we have used well over 80% of the vaccine doses that have been delivered.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.34 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:02 am

Just heard from a former band mate and friend for 40 years

As you know I have a kidney transplant. I take immune suppression medication so my body doesn't reject the kidney. My dr. told me that I would not survive covid because of the suppression medication. I had hurt my back and went to a physical therapist. That is how I got covid. An ambulance took me to the hospital. My oxygen was very low so I was put on a ventilator on December 21st. My wife refused to pull the plug on Xmas day. The next day I improved and came off the ventilator on December 27th. It seems because I have afib one of my medications is eliquis, a blood thinner. It kept the clots from killing me. I was in ICU for almost 3 weeks unable move. I improved with the help of dedicated dr.s, nurses, etc. I am now in rehab. It is my 65th day bedridden but I am improving to the point of using a walker. I hope to be home in 2 or 3 weeks. Thank God for physical therapy. Nobody thought I would survive and I was visited by many dr. And staff who wanted to see the guy who survived. Thank God my wife didn't listen to the drs. Also thanks to the many prayer groups that prayed for me..
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:34 am

Modern medicine is the shiznittlesnap.
One horse can carry 125 kg on its back, but it can drag 2500 kg on a cart. If it pulls a barge along a river, it can drag 30,000 kg, 30 tonnes, and it can drag 50 tonnes if the weight is on a barge in quiet water, i.e., on a canal.
Post Reply