Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Cloth mask pansy here. Since my reputation is already ruined O0 I don’t mind pointing out that yes, not only are there men’s formula shampoos, but there are also beard shampoos.

You probably shouldn’t wash your face with soap as it can clog your pores. Purpose from Johnson & Johnson is a good cleanser with minimal junk it in it.

Soap might also clog your scalp more than shampoo would- I’m not sure. I used to use Dr Bronner’s peppermint soap for everything.
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:52 pm
Cloth mask pansy here. Since my reputation is already ruined O0 I don’t mind pointing out that yes, not only are there men’s formula shampoos, but there are also beard shampoos.

You probably shouldn’t wash your face with soap as it can clog your pores. Purpose from Johnson & Johnson is a good cleanser with minimal junk it in it.

Soap might also clog your scalp more than shampoo would- I’m not sure. I used to use Dr Bronner’s peppermint soap for everything.
I just completed day two of no shampoo or soap.

Entire body feels clean. Beard feels clean. But, again, while the hair feels clean it is also flat. But no real issue. Just a distinct difference from not using shampoo.

By the way, my hot water is heated to 120 degrees and I'm fairly close to using the hot water straight with little cold water mixed in.

I'm a big baby when it comes to feeling cold in any way but, in general, I'm almost in all ways say, "Bring on the heat!"

75.9 in this room with my two feet on the 100 watt foot warmer.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 pm

I don't do this anymore, but I tried washing my hair with an egg yolk for awhile.

It's a pain in the neck to separate an egg before your shower, but it works extremely well and has zero soap. The lecithin in the yolk is an emulsifier and binds the fat in your hair to the shower water. Basically it makes mayonnaise out of your scalp grease, which just rinses out with the shower water. Don't use super hot water or you'll end up with cooked egg in your hair.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 pm
I don't do this anymore, but I tried washing my hair with an egg yolk for awhile.

It's a pain in the neck to separate an egg before your shower, but it works extremely well and has zero soap. The lecithin in the yolk is an emulsifier and binds the fat in your hair to the shower water. Basically it makes mayonnaise out of your scalp grease, which just rinses out with the shower water. Don't use super hot water or you'll end up with cooked egg in your hair.
Interesting. You can buy egg yolk lecithin in powder form, either loose or in capsules. It's expensive, but I wonder if that would work.

I've tried using shampoo bars but they leave a ton of crud in my hair that has to washed out with a clarifying shampoo. I've also tried a bunch of "no-poo" alternatives but they either didn't clean my hair or they left a lot of buildup. I guess long hair is a whole different ball game from a typical guy haircut. With really short hair, I bet just plain water with some scrubbing in the shower might even work just fine.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:33 pm

sophie wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 pm
Interesting. You can buy egg yolk lecithin in powder form, either loose or in capsules. It's expensive, but I wonder if that would work.
Now you've got me curious to try the powder form. I just added some to my Amazon cart and next time I'm near a locker I'll pick some up.

I'll report back. For science.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:06 pm

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 am

I was thinking which industry has most vested interest in getting covid mortality correct without the virtue signal.

Life insurance. Premiums have not increased.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/has-c ... 2020-12-07
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 am
I was thinking which industry has most vested interest in getting covid mortality correct without the virtue signal.

Very, very interesting.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:22 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 am

Very, very interesting.
Yes, that is a pretty good signal that the whole thing is extremely overblown.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 am

Doesn't that just mean that people who have their lives insured aren't statistically more likely to die? Pretty much that excludes anybody who's retired, doesn't it?

We do already know that in terms of life and death, people pre-retirement are at very little risk. That doesn't mean that it isn't killing too many people 60+. And it doesn't mean that younger people aren't suffering weird symptoms that can persist for a long time and perhaps cause lifelong damage.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 am
Doesn't that just mean that people who have their lives insured aren't statistically more likely to die? Pretty much that excludes anybody who's retired, doesn't it?

We do already know that in terms of life and death, people pre-retirement are at very little risk. That doesn't mean that it isn't killing too many people 60+. And it doesn't mean that younger people aren't suffering weird symptoms that can persist for a long time and perhaps cause lifelong damage.

That alone is of value in terms of the hysteria.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:42 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am
Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 am

That alone is of value in terms of the hysteria.
I should clarify that I'm saying that young people suffering such issues would likely not be reflected in life insurance premiums. But maybe it would be..?