Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Lady on the train panicked when I took off my mask after sitting down, but visibly relaxed when she saw I was having a coffee.

Remember: I drink coffee to keep you safe, you drink coffee to keep me safe.
https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/stat ... 1375577091
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm
Lady on the train panicked when I took off my mask after sitting down, but visibly relaxed when she saw I was having a coffee.

Remember: I drink coffee to keep you safe, you drink coffee to keep me safe.
https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/stat ... 1375577091
Love the avatar Tortoise. In that spirit, I heard in order to level the playing field, Ozzy Osborn was going to debate Biden. ;)
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I find it strange that a higher number of bat-derived diseases did not originate in Ozzy Osbourne.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm
I find it strange that a higher number of bat-derived diseases did not originate in Ozzy Osbourne.
Hahaha that’s great.

So is Tortoises new avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

To Beat the Coronavirus, Build a Better Fence

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... c610b15077
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Woman posting on a local social site. Nope, we aren't there yet...
-------------------------
Yesterday I went to get a flu shot at Walgreens. Before I entered I noticed the sign outside that said masks are mandatory to enter. When I got to the pharmacy, everyone was masked except one female employee who wore her mask covering her mouth and totally exposing her nose. She said it doesn't stay up and on her nose. When I suggested she just squeeze the wire at the nose level and it will work for her, she shook her head and said "No, I can't breathe that way".
I find it unconscionable to be working with patients during a pandemic with a mask mandate and her firm opposition to comply. I should have taken her photo and posted it, but was so angry when I left that not one staff member had a word to say to her or to me. I have contacted management and I am not waiting for a call back.

How DARE she put us all at risk??? How is she still working there??
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Corto, your state keeps hitting it out of the park. Good job!
Next-level nuttiness in Northfield, Illinois (north-suburban Chicago). Public school district @srseagles is restricting students' access to remote learning if their families travel to a state on the county travel-ban list. How is this legal...or moral? @BetsyDeVosED
https://twitter.com/EWoodhouse7/status/ ... 2653040640
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 pm

It seems people have just said FUCK IT, let's let all the crazy loose before we run out of 2020!
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:11 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:57 am
Another reason I like dry, desert heat more than humid, (but less hot) swamp heat is that mosquitoes absolutely LOVE my blood, and I have absurd reactions to mosquito bites.
I'm the opposite. I've read that mosquitos like dark skin and people who sweat, both of which could describe me, but they don't come after me. While other people around me are complaining I remain untouched. I can go all year with one bite tops. I spend a lot of time outside (generally outside until the sun goes down (and even longer) and no bites so far this year.

Is it a blood thing?
Clouds of mosquitoes have been so thick in southwest Louisiana since Hurricane Laura that they’re killing cattle and horses..

Did Hurricane Laura open a portal to my personal hell?
- Ecclesiastes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Woman posting on a local social site. Nope, we aren't there yet...
-------------------------
Yesterday I went to get a flu shot at Walgreens. Before I entered I noticed the sign outside that said masks are mandatory to enter. When I got to the pharmacy, everyone was masked except one female employee who wore her mask covering her mouth and totally exposing her nose. She said it doesn't stay up and on her nose. When I suggested she just squeeze the wire at the nose level and it will work for her, she shook her head and said "No, I can't breathe that way".
I find it unconscionable to be working with patients during a pandemic with a mask mandate and her firm opposition to comply. I should have taken her photo and posted it, but was so angry when I left that not one staff member had a word to say to her or to me. I have contacted management and I am not waiting for a call back.

How DARE she put us all at risk??? How is she still working there??
Was her name, by any chance, KAREN?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Corto, your state keeps hitting it out of the park. Good job!
Next-level nuttiness in Northfield, Illinois (north-suburban Chicago). Public school district @srseagles is restricting students' access to remote learning if their families travel to a state on the county travel-ban list. How is this legal...or moral? @BetsyDeVosED
https://twitter.com/EWoodhouse7/status/ ... 2653040640
LOL, so true, yet you live in Cali, so I'd say you guys win the insane game. Winning is losing. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Democrats covered up low COVID numbers in order to shut down bars.

If I was king of the world? Immediate dirt nap. IMMEDIATE.
- Ecclesiastes